• I'd like to go but it's not at the top of my list

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I've got no interest in going

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
I'm lucky enough to have gone to high school in Hawaii for Senior year (grade 12) And have been to visit many times. One thing that I always find strange when I'm over there, is that there are almost NO British tourists that visit the islands...

So here's a question for you NSCers, have you ever been, would you ever be interested in going, or do you have no desire to visit at all?

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
I'd go but wouldn't go in the sea as the sharks would get me. :nono:

Not too much of a shark problem there - no great whites at least! There are tiger sharks which are quite aggressive but tend to stay pretty far off shore... Most attacks are on wind surfers or kite surfers who tend to go quite far out - beyond the reefs!

Also worth mentioning is no snakes or poisonous spiders as the islands are too remote for them to arrive! :clap:

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
The thing to look out for in Hawaii is the giant centipedes though, which have an extremely painful bite (however not deadly), and are MASSIVE!

capt.lon80608311303.britain_lon806.jpg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not too much of a shark problem there - no great whites at least! There are tiger sharks which are quite aggressive but tend to stay pretty far off shore... Most attacks are on wind surfers or kite surfers who tend to go quite far out - beyond the reefs!

Also worth mentioning is no snakes or poisonous spiders as the islands are too remote for them to arrive! :clap:

A shark conservationist, Jimmy Hall, reported and documented his personal encounter with a very large great white shark, nicknamed as Schatzi, on December, 2005, in waters of Hawaii.

http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s080628a.html

Great-White-shark-South-Australia.jpg

:nono:

D

Deleted User X18H

I went to Oahu in March 1993 stayed at the Prince Kuhio Hotel on Prince Kuhio Avenue. Did all the regular stuff went to Waikiki, did the Elvis stuff shopped at the Harley Davidson store, ate Macadamia nuts, saw volcanoes, got burnt, wore a grass skirt. Would go back YES!

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Was there in '89 .
But , I live in Sydney and whilst it's still a fair distance away ,
lots of Australians holiday there or stopover on their way to & from LA .
Spent 4 days on Waikikii and then took the QE 2 to Mexico via
a few of the other Hawaiian islands .
Don't have any inclination to visit again , but then I live in a similar climate
with a beach lifestyle .

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I went to "the Big island" many years ago on a Company Outing - yes, Hawaii for free.

and then to Kuaii ten years ago for my brothers wedding - flash git!

Lovely place - although it was an enormous surprise when the entire island of Kuaii closed down at 1030 every evening. :shrug:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Jnr's Mum took him last year. Did a Heli flight around Maui, he took loads of Video
and got a Tee shirt and stuff.
She seemed to think it was expensive. :facepalm:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Have been twice, was quite disappointed with Waikiki beach, as loads of it was cordoned off for exclusive hotel use, if you go try to get up to the top end of the beach near the marriott as that's much much wider, less crowded and beautiful. If I was to recommend anything though I'd say go to one of the smaller islands and make sure to take a trip inland as the scenery is simply stunning.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
yes i have been and was disappointed, but then maybe i went wrong.
was surprised how commercial it was and lacked the 'paradise' feel

i think french polynesia is more beautiful and more laid back. would go there again but not hawaii

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
yes i have been and was disappointed, but then maybe i went wrong.
was surprised how commercial it was and lacked the 'paradise' feel

I went there last year and felt the same way. I only visited the main island (Oahu) and not the others, so maybe it is different there.

I'd rather go to Thailand or elsewhere in South East Asia for nice beaches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here