Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have you ever taken your ....... dog to a major cup final?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This video was filmed at the final of Copa America on Sunday evening. I don't know the full details, but apparently ticketless fans were forcing their way into the stadium (given what has gone before in England and at a recent Champions League final, I would stress that is what has been reported and I cannot speak to the veracity of those claims). Anyway, pretty stressful scenes for those involved. However, perhaps the most extraordinary aspect of this video (to me at least) is the fan (wearing the red bull shirt) who is taking his pooch into a major continental final (seen from around the 33 sec mark - the dog is in his bag which he tosses to the ground as the barrier collapses).

For about a minute he and his partner are searching frantically for their canine companion until a steward reunites them on 1 min 38 seconds.

(And, incidentally, WTF is wrong with the security guard from around 1m 20 secs who starts violently pushing all and sundry around?)

What on earth possesses someone to take their dog to a major football match? :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This video was filmed at the final of Copa America on Sunday evening. I don't know the full details, but apparently ticketless fans were forcing their way into the stadium (given what has gone before in England and at a recent Champions League final, I would stress that is what has been reported and I cannot speak to the veracity of those claims). Anyway, pretty stressful scenes for those involved. However, perhaps the most extraordinary aspect of this video (to me at least) is the fan (wearing the red bull shirt) who is taking his pooch into a major continental final (seen from around the 33 sec mark - the dog is in his bag which he tosses to the ground as the barrier collapses).

For about a minute he and his partner are searching frantically for their canine companion until a steward reunites them on 1 min 38 seconds.

(And, incidentally, WTF is wrong with the security guard from around 1m 20 secs who starts violently pushing all and sundry around?)

What on earth possesses someone to take their dog to a major football match? :shrug:

Maybe they're a Rovers fan?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Am I missing something on this thread...?

Appears to me a potential crushing disaster was very narrowly avoided. Terrified and screaming children who were pushed over in the melee, yet.......

All I'm seeing in reply is a few purile remarks.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Took a girlfriend to a Swedish cup final once and in hindsight she was a bit of a bitch.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes, agreed, multiple health and safety concerns there, including a possible crush disaster.

But people do need to take at least some responsibility for their own safety, and evidently, the safety of their pet dog. Was the dog able to climb up the went into the stadium?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I don’t suppose Hassocks away counts as a major cup final?
IMG_3112.jpeg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I took my 6 month old in a sling under my sheepskin coat to a snowy reserve game at the Goldstone winter 1980.
Well, he had to start somewhere, sometime - he ended up a ballboy there. Happy days.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Looks to me like the guy put the dog on the floor and then went back to get some kids out of the crush, hope he managed to get his doggo back, if he got onto the pitch it would be chasing the ball and could be a right pain.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
That appears to have been caused by the same ingredients as Hillsborough, too many people arriving at a pinch point that can't process their entry in a safe and adequate time scale.
Fortunately once inside most of these modern stadiums have plenty of concourse space to spread out into unlike at Leppings Lane and they don't cage fans in once inside the stadium.
I wonder how many non-ticket holders gained entry in Miami?

The US stadiums will have learned a lot from hosting the Copa America with the fanatical South American fans. Better than finding out too late during the World Cup.
The incident probably went a bit under the radar because of the Trump assassination attempt.

Reactions: cjd

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The title of this thread doesn't do justice to the seriousness of this major incident.

After the Liverpool fans Champions League final experience and England fans storming Wembley at the Euro's final 3 years ago, this incident should be far more prominent in the sports news.
In the USA in two years time the South Americans will swamp the tournament and when they get to the knockout stages the stadiums will once again be mobbed with ticketless fans.
US police aren't used to people saying no to them without resorting to guns.

The X/Twitter clips (above) that AZ Gull and Bozza have shared are shocking.

Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here