Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever felt less enthusiastic about an England match before?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I don't think I have.
I'll watch tonight's match of course out of some stupid sense of duty but I'm really not looking forward to it, especially with the lack of first teamers. Everything England is such a downer at the moment.

Thank f*** for the :albion1:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
The only team who had a more depressing World Cup than us at Wembley, i.e. France.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I dunno. The prospect of watching Andy Carroll battering a few Frenchies has some appeal. If he doesn't start then it's a night of "The Apprentice".

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Nope and I'm going.

I hate Wembley but tonight is going to be worse than normal. FA only sold 44k tickets so have practically given the remaining tickets away to the residents of Brent whilst those of us that have spent thousands over the years following England all over the planet (not to mention having to pay £70 a term to be in the poxy club!) have had to pay full whack (my ticket was £35 tonight).

Simply because the FA see a half empty stadium a couple of weeks before the 2018 decision (that most England fans don't actually want to win) as a massive PR disaster. Personally I think it's worse that they've had to bribe people to go.

Sadly your ticket has to be scanned now to get your cap (loyalty point) else I probably would have just stayed in the boozer.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I will watch the first half, see a shit game of football that will be 0-0 at half time, change channels to watch The Apprentice, then find out that the game finished 4-0 England with everyone raving about some bloke that will get dropped for Rooney/Lampard etc

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I had to be reminded when my colleague asked me " are you watching the game tonight" I asked what game was on.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I will watch the first half, see a shit game of football that will be 0-0 at half time, change channels to watch The Apprentice, then find out that the game finished 4-0 England with everyone raving about some bloke that will get dropped for Rooney/Lampard etc

This

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Going to watch until 60 mins, then the Aprrentice. Maybe catch the second half highlights later on [ITV 10.45] if it sounds like anything happened.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Had a ticket but not going - Liz is taking a mate instead.

Got really pissed off when I found out that tickets went on general sale in London for £10 for local residents. I have to pay a membership fee to get tickets and now after they could only sell 44k at normal prices they offload them for next to nothing to fill the ground to impress FIFA before the World Cup vote! Us the England fan members should be getting the cheapest tickets! Even people who had not renewed memberships got offered the cheapo tickets - but us the members did not!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite looking forward to this one to see how the two countries recoveries from disaster are going. Not confident that we won't get well beaten.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given this fixture is on the eve of the Ashes and in the middle of the resurgent England rugby team's battle with the Southern Hemisphere I'm seriously underwhelmed.

I was surprised to hear that Cappello had to seek the FA's permission to select Andy Carroll. He will put 10,000 bums on seats on his own and,as earlier posters have pointed out, the bigger the crowd the more impressive the England bid looks for World Cup 2018.

In fact, I'm surprised the FA didn't order the Italian Clown to pick Beckham and thereby stick another 10,000 on the crowd figure.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Had a ticket but not going - Liz is taking a mate instead.

Got really pissed off when I found out that tickets went on general sale in London for £10 for local residents. I have to pay a membership fee to get tickets and now after they could only sell 44k at normal prices they offload them for next to nothing to fill the ground to impress FIFA before the World Cup vote! Us the England fan members should be getting the cheapest tickets! Even people who had not renewed memberships got offered the cheapo tickets - but us the members did not!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That is outrageous. Talk about screwing your core fans/customers. Can you imagine the riot on here if the club suddenly dropped the prices to £10 a match after the season-ticket holders had already paid up at normal price...I don't think there's much point in pussyfooting around FIFA anyway, they'll give it to whoever offers them the most money like they always do, the crowd won't make a shred of difference (even though they might try and use that as a get-out explanation, I'm sure they're looking for one).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
England friendly against another team who flopped at the world cup, I'm off out and might catch the result later. Good to see Gibbs given a go though, finally some quality to push Ashley Cole

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
No i was probably less enthusiastic about the friendly against the country (Who i can't remember) we played after the World Cup. Having said that i still really couldn't give a rats arse bout tonights game!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I'm going, but only cos my mates are going. I have an open mind about it. This is probably because it's given me the afternoon off work when I'm hungover. I don't know if I will recognise any of the players. The last time I saw an England friendly at Wembley Gazza was staggering around wearing a bloodied headband.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yawn Yawn Yawn - Do we REALLY have to have a thread saying exactly the same thing 'Have you ever felt less enthusiastic about an England match before?' We've literally had one of these every game since the WC. Simple thing really - if you don't want to support your country - don't watch!

As for this 'flicking over to the Apprentice' lark - that's what Sky plus and I-Player are for?! I would never want to watch anything but live football wehen it's Albion or England and I'm a big fan of the Apprentice!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've struggled to summon up any interest in friendlies since Sven showed up and started turning them into a revolving door of endless substitutions.

I know that has been limited, but the clubs are still getting away with murder pulling players out of games, and no-one is prepared to stand up to them to address it. the result is that these games have just become a nonsense.

No-one in football takes enough interest in the International side because it doesn't generate enough money. I was listening to a podcast of Frank Skinner only this morning from the World Cup, and he's bang on when he says the FA are far more interested in the World Cup BID than actually helping us prepare a team to win it. If the bidding process simply followed the lead of the Eurovision Song Contest and the winners host the next one, then suddenly the FA would be moving Heaven and Earth to give us our best chance possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here