Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I been scammed?

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
I took a call on my new mobile today whilst I was in the middle of something else so didn't pay as much attention as I should to the call.

The call was from a private number and the caller said he was from Vodafone and was just checking I was happy with my new handset (ordered last week and arrived yesterday). I said I love it and it's easy to use but he then asked me what handset I have. I told him and he explained his job was done and said goodbye.

When I had a second to spare I suddenly remembered reading a while ago about phone company's customers details being passed on to third parties and people were then getting calls in which they innocently and unwittingly confirmed their identities etc. If I was thinking straight I would've asked the guy to tell me what phone I have!

Did I dream the report about details being passed on? Was this all part of some scam? Or was it just part of the phone company's customer care? No point ringing Vodafone to ask because I don't want to be on hold all evening as in the immortal words of Gene Hunt, it's almost dinner time. I'm having hoops.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I saw where the details were past on to insurance companies who then got people to sign up for additional insurance. Was on Watchdog a few weeks back.

I took a call on my new mobile today whilst I was in the middle of something else so didn't pay as much attention as I should to the call.

The call was from a private number and the caller said he was from Vodafone and was just checking I was happy with my new handset (ordered last week and arrived yesterday). I said I love it and it's easy to use but he then asked me what handset I have. I told him and he explained his job was done and said goodbye.

When I had a second to spare I suddenly remembered reading a while ago about phone company's customers details being passed on to third parties and people were then getting calls in which they innocently and unwittingly confirmed their identities etc. If I was thinking straight I would've asked the guy to tell me what phone I have!

Did I dream the report about details being passed on? Was this all part of some scam? Or was it just part of the phone company's customer care? No point ringing Vodafone to ask because I don't want to be on hold all evening as in the immortal words of Gene Hunt, it's almost dinner time. I'm having hoops.

There is this one doing the rounds at the moment.

Carphone crackdown on phone insurance scam • The Register

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Wouldn't exactly call it a SCAM!? but, if they have your number, you could be screwed with harrassment. I had this for a year, before changing my number. The SIMPLE answer to this is to change your sim (and number obv.) so they cannot get hold of you, whoever they may be. Without sounding racist, it usually and Indian/Pakistani company etc who would use your number in a third party term.

Bon chance.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
phone your provider and ask if they called you would be my 1st port of call.

Playing On The Grit

Apr 2, 2008
I saw where the details were past on to insurance companies who then got people to sign up for additional insurance. Was on Watchdog a few weeks back.

Thats it!! Thanks Wardy. I remember it being an insurance thing now. I guess by taking the call I confirmed they had the right name to go with the number.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i remember being called by someone who claimed to be from 02, saying i was due an upgrade (which i was). he then proceeded to ask me what handset i had and what tariff i was on.

i told him that if he really WAS from o2 he'd already know...he hung up immediately without saying another word :shrug:

Playing On The Grit

Apr 2, 2008
i remember being called by someone who claimed to be from 02, saying i was due an upgrade (which i was). he then proceeded to ask me what handset i had and what tariff i was on.

i told him that if he really WAS from o2 he'd already know...he hung up immediately without saying another word :shrug:

If I'd been concentrating I'd have said exactly the same. Caught me off guard.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Without sounding racist, it usually and Indian/Pakistani company etc who would use your number in a third party term.
Please bear in mind that a lot of call centre work is outsourced to India and they act on behalf of the mobile network providers etc. All they are doing is trying to sign you up for additional services and by getting you to agree they are paid a commission to top up their meagre wages.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I had a wierd call today.The phone goes and some Indian lady says is your sky working I said yes and asked why,she said is that Mr ---- ------ and I said yes,she went oh just a curtesy call and then hanged up.I did 1471 caller witheld number ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't it just. Imagine are gasps when it is revealed the call was from Sky all along!

Trying to sell an extended warranty on his Sky box but the trainee goofed the call up. :lolol:

Playing On The Grit

Apr 2, 2008

I just had another call from "Vodafone"...I was more on the ball this time and when they asked what handset I chose I said exactly what you said above about the fact they should know what phone I have...she said in that case her job was done and hung up. I made a point of laughing loudly as she flapped for the few seconds before she hung up so that she knew I saw through the reason for the call.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Please bear in mind that a lot of call centre work is outsourced to India and they act on behalf of the mobile network providers etc. All they are doing is trying to sign you up for additional services and by getting you to agree they are paid a commission to top up their meagre wages.

I always bear that in mind just before I tell them to piss off and stop calling me. If I want to give to charity I visit Oxfam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here