Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I been saying this football team wrong all my life?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Horsted Keynes (Kanes) rather than Milton Keynes (keens) - never got that

My bet is that the Sussex village has got the pronunciation right.....

"The village was originally known as Middeltone (11th century); then later as Middelton Kaynes or Caynes (13th century); Milton Keynes (15th century); and Milton alias Middelton Gaynes (17th century).[2] After the Norman invasion, the de Cahaines family held the manor from 1166 to the late 13th century as well as others in the country (Ashton Keynes, Somerford Keynes, and Horsted Keynes). During this time the village became known as Middleton de Keynes eventually shortening to Milton Keynes."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynes_family

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Probably about as much as people in Groz-vee-nor Street...........
When I worked in Salford, that is exactly how the locals pronounced it.
:mad:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My bet is that the Sussex village has got the pronunciation right.....

"The village was originally known as Middeltone (11th century); then later as Middelton Kaynes or Caynes (13th century); Milton Keynes (15th century); and Milton alias Middelton Gaynes (17th century).[2] After the Norman invasion, the de Cahaines family held the manor from 1166 to the late 13th century as well as others in the country (Ashton Keynes, Somerford Keynes, and Horsted Keynes). During this time the village became known as Middleton de Keynes eventually shortening to Milton Keynes."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynes_family

What about the famous economist, John Maynard Keynes?

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Of course it is pretentiously BOZZAM not BOSHAM whereas just down the road it is COSHAM pronounced, well er, COSHAM.

As for Berry - it is Berry unless you live north of Stafford perhaps where it becomes Brr-i - because its so bloody cold up norf.

Up here in Ruislip, its either Rooslip or Ryslip.
Or further Beaconsfield becomes, Beconsfield or Beeconsfield :tumble:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I once produced a publication for super posh Marlborough College. After a meeting the client pulled me gently to one side and sai "It's pronounced 'Mawlbrer'.

And then of course there's the small issue of Beaconsfield.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I once produced a publication for super posh Marlborough College. After a meeting the client pulled me gently to one side and sai "It's pronounced 'Mawlbrer'.

And then of course there's the small issue of Beaconsfield.

English is full of such bizarre pronunciations, like "Maudlin" for Magdalene.

Imagine being a French-speaker trying to learn English, and having to ask directions to Leicester, Bicester, Worcester, Towcester and Gloucester?

Not to mention Frome, Belvoir, Wrotham, Happisburgh, Greenwich, Alnwick, Wymondham, Lympne, Mousehole, and Woolfardisworthy*? :lol:

*Or, Frooome, Beaver, Root-uhm, Haze-buruh, Gren-idj, Annick, Wind-um, Lim, Mouz-uhl, and (best of all) Wool-zer-y

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Imagine being a French-speaker trying to learn English, and having to ask directions to Leicester, Bicester, Worcester, Towcester and Gloucester?

Not to mention Frome, Belvoir, Wrotham, Happisburgh, Greenwich, Alnwick, Wymondham, Lympne, Mousehole, and Woolfardisworthy? :lol:

Are there many French tourists visiting Upper & Lower Dicker this year? :cool:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Montpelier.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
And while we are at it - my wife is not English - but is a mother-tongue English speaker from the colonies. She cannot get her head around Worcester, Gloucester or Leicester - doesn't appreciate Mr Cholmondeley-Warner and can't deal with the surname Farquhar.

Sounds just like my missus, but in her case, English isn't her first language - she's a Scouser......better post this quickly before I get a Toxteth handshake......

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Not to mention Frome, Belvoir, Wrotham, Happisburgh, Greenwich, Alnwick, Wymondham, Lympne, Mousehole, and Woolfardisworthy*? :lol:

*Or, Frooome, Beaver, Root-uhm, Haze-buruh, Gren-idj, Annick, Wind-um, Lim, Mouz-uhl, and (best of all) Wool-zer-y

try asking for directions to Reims

http://www.howdoyousaythatword.com/word/reims/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here