Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I been saying this football team wrong all my life?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Newcastle or Newcassell as most commentators say it nowadays.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's Berry - not up for debate. If the people from Bury want to pronounce it wrong that's their look-out...

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Isfield.

Is-field or I-field?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Slaugham often gets said wrong in my books.

So does Cuckfield

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
We can't even say the same pronounciation within my family. We have at least three varying pronounciations of "bath", "bus" and "bun", from the wife (Manc), the lads (Sth Yorks childhood) and me (Mouwskoom). I believe it is your childhood/ early teen years that form how you speak and it does not change much after that. My sons prove that it is people who you spend more time with that affect the dialect rather than the parents. Whilst I may have picked up the local sayings after over 40 years in the north, I still say the word as I always would, which means that if I ask for a "butty" I am often not understood.
On the other hand I often have fun getting the locals to say "Arundel", "Steyning" and "Lewes", then throwing in "Fulking" and "Cuckfield" for good measure.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My other half pronounces Ansty as "Anstee".

Then again, he's a lot better at pronouncing Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch than I am, so, you know...

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
And while we are at it - my wife is not English - but is a mother-tongue English speaker from the colonies. She cannot get her head around Worcester, Gloucester or Leicester - doesn't appreciate Mr Cholmondeley-Warner and can't deal with the surname Farquhar.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What did the big tomato say to the little tomato?

Ketch up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here