Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hats off to the cyclists - Still pouring into town at 5.30 down by the Steine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Done it twice. The trick is to request an early start time, near as 6.30am as possible and on no account stop for a pub lunch. Even for a lardarse on a borrowed mountain bike, 5-6 hours is easily achievable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At times like this I wish I was traffic cop and I would have a field day and made a fortune with on the spot fines for cars with bike carriers on the back which obscur the number plate.

But full marks to all the law abiding ones who completed the ride.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Well said HB&B. Got a friend on that today - raising money for the Heart Foundation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In 1973, a friend and I cycled to Selsey Bill and back from Worthing. Did the trip on a Mars bar and a can of Coke on a 3 gear Raleigh. Makes me laugh to see this mob all geared up with isotronic drinks, waterproofs, bananas, helmets etc thinking that they have made an epic journey against the odds.... lightweights !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In 1973, a friend and I cycled to Selsey Bill and back from Worthing. Did the trip on a Mars bar and a can of Coke on a 3 gear Raleigh. Makes me laugh to see this mob all geared up with isotronic drinks, waterproofs, bananas, helmets etc thinking that they have made an epic journey against the odds.... lightweights !

Always get the distinct feeling that cyclists in lycra are far more into lycra than they are into cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did it in 2:50!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always get the distinct feeling that cyclists in lycra are far more into lycra than they are into cycling.
You wouldn't say that if you saw me Lycra-ed up.
There's no pleasure to be had there!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i completed it today in just over 4 hours, the beacon nearly got me but i didnt give in, my hamstrings bloody hurt now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a road sign about 50 yds from the top.
I could see a woman struggling in front, by it. I just couldn't get to her in time before she stepped off her bike.
Only to be heart broken that she was so close, and didn't know it.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
How the hell are your Hammies hurting? You hardly use them on a bike.

i wish i knew, The beacon finished them off

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And that's one of the easier climbs across the downs.

haardman

Jul 29, 2005

In fairness I don't recall the Worthing to Selsey route having any significant hill climbs involved. I reckon yesterday's route took in over 700 metres of ascent (2300ft). Took us about 4.5hrs, with a 6:30 start, but we were taking it easy. I was amazed how many slow cyclists there were starting at such an early time.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I was suprised about the number of nobs taking the piss out of the slower riders and abusing them for slowing their progess. Yes it is common sense to keep left if you are walking a hill but not acceptable to call someone a for **** it! It's meant to be a charity ride, not a race and really no need to get so angry and upset. Thought there was gonna be fight at the first big hill. I've done more running than cycling and would say the atmosphere was 10 times better at marathons etc. Felt a bit embarassed to be part of it as riders ignored marshalls and police to gain few seconds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here