Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has The Phone-In Had Its Day?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
While the SCR coverage of just about every Albion match is a highly valuable facility that is much unerrated and often taken for granted round these parts, can't help but feel that the phone-in has had its day. If you're at the match, you practically never hear it, and if you're not at the match, you get freaks like Alan From Haywards Heath dribbling on about nothing in particular until nipped in the scrotum by his Jack Russell Tyson. I mean, what's it FOR?

Was good when Dave The Gaffer used to be led directly from H Block to the Withdean radio shack, cos that was as direct a link as it ever got to the feeling in the South Stand, but apart from that the phone-in, in its ivory tower, seems utterly disposable. Personally I just use the off switch after coverage of the game. I repeat, what's the phone-in FOR? Why not have Harty - or DTG - or anyone at all - roving the ground with a mic, asking people their opinions on a game they've just seen, or on wider Albion issues. These are the people who are the Albion faithful, home or away. Let the rest of 'em time-waste on the Argus Forum or go and wash the car or something. IMHO like.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if people who are at the games dont call in, then there is not really a lot they can do about it - you dont need to be listening to the phone in to call in and give your opinion on what you have just seen

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
While the SCR coverage of just about every Albion match is a highly valuable facility that is much unerrated and often taken for granted round these parts, can't help but feel that the phone-in has had its day. If you're at the match, you practically never hear it, and if you're not at the match, you get freaks like Alan From Haywards Heath dribbling on about nothing in particular until nipped in the scrotum by his Jack Russell Tyson. I mean, what's it FOR?

/QUOTE]

He wasnt talking about nothing in particular, he was about to read us a poem that made him think of Albions fate,and then the dog bit him..

D

Deleted User X18H

of course you can be at the match and listen to phone in I do every week well home games anyway, however it was half an hour til a proper caller game through yesterday, I reallycan't stand that Mike Ward bloody tabloid scribler

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My take on the phone in is this:

1. Its Harty's show. Lets not forget that. harty has on the show who he wants on there, ie Mike Ward, Budgie myself etc and so it shoud be. He has a contract with teh BBC, his "guests" do not!

2. The show is only as good as the callers and the callers are either brilliant, crack pot, wind up merchants or self publicicts.

3. People say that there should be no agenda.....sorry but there should be an agenda. The agenda should be:

a) The match just seen
b) Issues that have happened in the week
c) Some sort of historical question ( favourite Peter ever at the albion etc)

4. Whilst the show is "local", next year we could have three Sussex clubs in the conference, in this case I think the phone in should reflect that - then listen to the whingefest on here.

5. Harty is a cheecky chappie...we all know it, he likes to flirt with his audience and if you don't like that, then the show is not for you. Yes we all know he has overstepped the line at times, and has made apologies on air and in the press. He and I had a spat, covered many times on here and as far as I am concerned I made my feelings know and that is over and done with.

6. I have no problem with Simon Levo at all, he is a good mate. Simon does his show very differently to Harty, I have sat next to both of them and Harty is very "off the cuff"...again, that is what makes the show good IMHO.

As I keep saying, if you want to get your point of view accross about the game, PHONE IN! that is what it is there for.

All I would say, is when you go to away games, tune into the local radio station and listen to what is being broadcast.....you will realise just how lucky we are.

Finally, the only change I would make to the current format is this:

From final whistle to 5:15 I would have Hawsey and Levo doing the round up of results.
I would start the phone in at 5:15 for and hour
That would mean people who cant listen would at least be able to hear some of it.

The problem is Dave Cash is syndicated at 6:15/6:30 odd so there is an issue with scheduling.

Do I think people have it in for Harty on here and in other quarters...Yes!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
We have these threads every season. Generally they end up highlighting the fact that some people like it and some people don't. I suspect that will be the outcome of this one too.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
I still enjoy it, although i havent listened to it since Swansea. As Tom Hark said 'Alan' from Haywards Heath is very very boring.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My take on the phone in is this:

1. Its Harty's show. Lets not forget that. harty has on the show who he wants on there, ie Mike Ward, Budgie myself etc and so it shoud be. He has a contract with teh BBC, his "guests" do not!

2. The show is only as good as the callers and the callers are either brilliant, crack pot, wind up merchants or self publicicts.

3. People say that there should be no agenda.....sorry but there should be an agenda. The agenda should be:

a) The match just seen
b) Issues that have happened in the week
c) Some sort of historical question ( favourite Peter ever at the albion etc)

4. Whilst the show is "local", next year we could have three Sussex clubs in the conference, in this case I think the phone in should reflect that - then listen to the whingefest on here.

5. Harty is a cheecky chappie...we all know it, he likes to flirt with his audience and if you don't like that, then the show is not for you. Yes we all know he has overstepped the line at times, and has made apologies on air and in the press. He and I had a spat, covered many times on here and as far as I am concerned I made my feelings know and that is over and done with.

6. I have no problem with Simon Levo at all, he is a good mate. Simon does his show very differently to Harty, I have sat next to both of them and Harty is very "off the cuff"...again, that is what makes the show good IMHO.

As I keep saying, if you want to get your point of view accross about the game, PHONE IN! that is what it is there for.

All I would say, is when you go to away games, tune into the local radio station and listen to what is being broadcast.....you will realise just how lucky we are.

Finally, the only change I would make to the current format is this:

From final whistle to 5:15 I would have Hawsey and Levo doing the round up of results.
I would start the phone in at 5:15 for and hour
That would mean people who cant listen would at least be able to hear some of it.

The problem is Dave Cash is syndicated at 6:15/6:30 odd so there is an issue with scheduling.

Do I think people have it in for Harty on here and in other quarters...Yes!

Maybe harty only has idiots commenting so it makes him look good...............

oops sorry Dave.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Ban that knob Alan from haywards heath and srayer another knob and get back
Hugo:bowdown::bowdown:

Best ever quote to Harty

Your wife thinks you are like father christmas you only cum once a year :bowdown:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's better than the music program that would replace it.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Many people like Harty fought for us to have a fans phone in, so let's hope it stays on.
Hopefully some newer people will call in with some decent comments. I realise that may sound hypocritical, as i haven't personally called in this season, but the only reason i have abstained is because i was told (and i sensed myself) that people had had enough of me after what happened with Kaz...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'm just amazed by the statement made on here 3 times now in the last 24 hours, that people have an agenda against Ian Hart.

Is paranoia starting to take hold. I suspect there is a huge difference between someone not liking someone and that then becoming an agenda. The latter indicates a cold calculating attempt to do bite back at the person they have an agenda against.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here