Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the FA changed the rules and is it now ok for the away team to timewaste?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Reading and Watford both delayed the kickoff by a full minute for a huddle. Both teams were very 'professional' in their approach to the dark art and the referees seemed to consider it completely acceptable. I don't go to away games now, but do we do the same?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've never seen a team stand in front of the goalkeeper for a goal kick, and the ref done nothing about it!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
it was annoying v watford as we did not have kick off but if we did have kick off there is nothing in the rules that stops us just whacking it in the goal

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've never seen us do it, if your manager hasn't syked you up before you go out of the dressing something has one wrong IMO.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I remember Derby did the same, but we didn't make such a big deal of it. It might be getting more frequent, but it doesn't bother me really. It's up to the ref to get the game started on time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reading and Watford both delayed the kickoff by a full minute for a huddle. Both teams were very 'professional' in their approach to the dark art and the referees seemed to consider it completely acceptable. I don't go to away games now, but do we do the same?

erm away from home i don't think we've been in a position to waste time away recently...maybe forest

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Watford seem to take ages to come out for the second half last night too? Our players were out and ready ages before they wandered out

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
We used to huddle at the Withdean for half a season or so. I think it was the Danny Cullip era.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Watford seem to take ages to come out for the second half last night too? Our players were out and ready ages before they wandered out

I think we were just really up for it and came out early.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hardly time wasting as the ref won't have started his stop watch until he blows for kick off.

Good shout Drew, I hadn't thought of that although if we're all psyched up and ready to go, it can't help us to have to wait for that period before we start. Interestingly, while most of the responses refer to the huddle, I was also questioning the whole of match time wasting. Ankergren used to get cards in the last 15 minutes, but no-one seems to get them now in oppostion at the Amex. And even the 10 yard rule at free kicks didn't seem to be applied or bother the ref either.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hardly time wasting as the ref won't have started his stop watch until he blows for kick off.

Time wasting is the layman's term, the actual offence is "delaying the restart of play". Having said that:

Delaying the restart of play
Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by tactics such as:
• taking a free kick from the wrong position with the sole intention of forcing
the referee to order a retake
• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to one of his teammates
to take
• kicking the ball away or carrying it away with the hands after the referee
has stopped play
• excessively delaying the taking of a throw-in or free kick
• delaying leaving the fi eld of play when being substituted
• provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee
has stopped play

Kick offs not included. But, the spirit of the law...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Time wasting is the layman's term, the actual offence is "delaying the restart of play". Having said that:

Kick offs not included. But, the spirit of the law...

Don't get me wrong, I think the refs should make it clear before the teams come out that any huddle has to be done before the alloted kick off time and must not delay it. Unfortunately, when was the last time you saw a ref who wasn't made to look a mug by the antics of players. Take the Reading game when the ref went over to speed along one of their players being substitued and ended up shaking the hand of the player!!!!!

Albion Rob

Timewasting really gets on my wick. The players are really taking the piss. I'd be surprised if the ball was in play for more than an hour some weeks. In my view there should be a stadium countdown timer and every time play is stopped the timer should stop. I guess it could mean not getting out of the ground until about 5.30pm but at least we'd have got our money's worth.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Watford keeper was taking the piss Ankergren style. Delay, delay, delay, run up to the ball and move it to the other side. No idea why he wasn't booked early on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here