Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Cricket World Cup Gone On Far Too Long?

Has it gone on far to long?

• Yes definitely it has.

Votes: 45 77.6%
  • No I don't think so, super eights is great.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I'm sitting on this fence for now.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I don't think it helps that there's been few matches that have been entertaining. If we had a world cup of the same quality as the 05 Ashes, then nobody would be complaining.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Kev, what you have to bear in mind is that, with the performance they make of it these days, simply making the DRAW for the football World Cup takes about 17 weeks, and that's before you start on the footy itself, so you can't really begrudge the cricket lot taking this long by comparison.

Oct 25, 2003
i was discussing this today down the PUB with some geordie bloke

it has gone on FAR too long, a simple knock out round would have done it for me, none of this league bollocks

plus, in a knockout, you can get more UPSETS

bangladesh could've beaten SA in a knockout quarter final, and would then be in the SEMI's

which would be cool, cos bangladesh are MINT

but yes, it has gone on too long

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It has gone on for too long and the Super 8s reduces the chances of a 'lesser' side making the semis.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
e77 said:
It has gone on for too long and the Super 8s reduces the chances of a 'lesser' side making the semis.

No it doesn't.. we are still in with a chance of making the semis :)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Withdean Wanderer said:
I don't think it helps that there's been few matches that have been entertaining. If we had a world cup of the same quality as the 05 Ashes, then nobody would be complaining.

Herein hangs the problem. Cricket only became "cool" during the 2005 Ashes series. Cricket is rarely, if ever, so exciting. You have to appreciate the nuances of it to indeed understand why it WAS so exciting. So nobody should actually be suprised.

Also, one day cricket is incomparable to Tests.

Also, it's started to overlap with the domestic season now, which is annoying.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Straight knock-out would be better.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Chicken Run said:
Playing two super eight games a day would bloody well help

Agreed. It would be easier the schedule and some teams wouldn't play 3 in six days and then a long break (i.e. The Windies).

Although, I am erring on scrapping the Super 8s and having a knockout Quarter Finals.

If there is a desire to have more cricket, perhaps a Plate final for teams that get knocked out early? ???

One thing is for sure - they need to make it even more affordable and fill the stadiums.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Even tho England aren't going to win the world cup, i still cant see how a team that has lost 3 games can still possibly have the chance of be world champions at this stage along with South Africa.

Tomorrows game could be counted as a Quarter-final

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Part of the problem with the Super 8's is that India and Pakistan did not get there. If they had, I'm sure more teams would have taken points off each other and made it more of a contest to qualify in the top 4. Having said that wathing Ireland beat Pakistan and Bangladesh has been superb and I've thoroughly enjoyed a game of cricket every afternoon. It beats Countdown when working from home for sure.

Tomorrow will be worth watching if only for Peiterson antics against his native country (I think he called Graham Smith a muppet and stated that no-one likes him in his autobiography). I fully expect England to get beat though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here