Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Albion fanbase let Gary Hart down?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I have to admit I was tad disapointed with the 4,600 crowd, having been involved with Kerry's game last year I know what the costs and margins are and frankly Gary deserved better, I thought that even with the opponents on offer a crowd in excess of 6k was on the cards, how wrong I was.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes and no, many people who might otherwise have gone to the game will be away on holiday or just doing other things...there are tough times ahead for many, Gary has just secured employment for a further year, there are certainly plenty on NSC whose financial and employment state is somewhat more parlous...going to a football match, regardless of its context, may not feature highly on the list of priorities.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I have to admit I was tad disapointed with the 4,600 crowd, having been involved with Kerry's game last year I know what the costs and margins are and frankly Gary deserved better, I thought that even with the opponents on offer a crowd in excess of 6k was on the cards, how wrong I was.

To be fair though Harty, a lot more people are being careful with their pennies these days. There has been non-stop doom and gloom on the financial news lately, and it,s having its effect on choices.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I didn't go yesterday, and in a way I do feel guilty. However it's an extra cost at a time when money is sparse not just for myself, but probably a lot of other people as well.

I have my season ticket and that cost enough as it is! I'm sure there are other people in the same boat, and that is probably why the attendance was so low?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As already discussed on the other thread on this subject:

1) People are looking to save money, not spend it

2) It's the first week of the school holidays, lots of people are away

3) Even if they're not away, some will have problems convincing the wife on a lovely afternoon like yesterday that going to the Albion instead of taking the kids to the beach is a valid option

4) Hart's just been given a new contract, which even you'd have to admit is not a universally popular decision. If it had been his last game in the stripes, people would have turned out to thank him and say goodbye, as it is, it looks as though we'll have another season of him hanging around the bench/reserve team to little effect, so some fans probably thought "why bother".

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As other posters have said, times are hard for a lot of people and although it was a testimonial I think the pricing was a tad high for effectively a training match.

In the bigger picture, this may be a sign of things to come with the Withdean PAYG supporters as we plough on through the season ahead. Let's just hope we can keep up with the pace near the top of the table to keep them interested!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

3) Even if they're not away, some will have problems convincing the wife on a lovely afternoon like yesterday that going to the Albion instead of taking the kids to the beach is a valid option

4) Hart's just been given a new contract, which even you'd have to admit is not a universally popular decision. If it had been his last game in the stripes, people would have turned out to thank him and say goodbye, as it is, it looks as though we'll have another season of him hanging around the bench/reserve team to little effect, so some fans probably thought "why bother".

I concur. As ever Edna you speak the truth.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont think so. Whilst fans might not have shown their appreciation via the game yesterday they have certainly showed it in other areas e.g. the thread on here a day or two after he was released.

Many reasons contributed to fans not going yesterday. Lack of appreciation wasnt one of them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's still a decent turnout IMHO. Middle of the Summer holiday period, credit crunch etc. Good day out, and hope that Harty enjoyed a decent well-deserved pay-day out of it.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

Apologies Edna didn't look at the other thread, just posted this on quickly as my daughter needed PC.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
It's still a decent turnout IMHO. Middle of the Summer holiday period, credit crunch etc. Good day out, and hope that Harty enjoyed a decent well-deserved pay-day out of it.

But that's the point Tom, given the attendance I don't think he will get tbhe pay day he deserved.

But that's the point Tom, given the attendance I don't think he will get tbhe pay day he deserved.

Then the club ought to chuck in a little something for leaving players, then.

A long-serving player who hasn't seen a lot of first-team action in recent seasonS (and has been retained by the club), doesn't gain the sort of attention at Withdean, that a Scholes or Giggs might get at Old Trafford.
I'm surprised that this was a shock or disappointment, frankly.

I like OGH too, but have trouble sympathizing with any (un-injured) sportsman who's had a decent career at a league football club - maybe that's just me. I reserve more sympathy for a carpenter I know, who recently had all his tools of trade stolen out of his van outside his house.

I didn't see you at Guy's send-off dinner, by the way.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Its not as if Hart has only had this game as hes testimonial event tho is it.

Wasn't there a Race night, boxing night and a dinner and dance thing at the grand? I'm sure he hasn't done too badily.

PS: For the record i did go yesterday.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If it had been his last game for us, then more would have gone.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I wouldn't have gone if my pal hadn't rung me in the morning and persauded me. In the event, we fell asleep in the first half (via a few beers during the 'Legends' game) and left shortly after half-time.

I think some of the old players should have a look at themselves. Ferret and everyone else involved will have bust a gut to get certain players involved, and it's hardly much to ask certain people to turn up once a year. If we could get players of the calibre of Beeney, Towner, Ward, Lawrenson et al to play it would make a huge difference to the attendance - I cannot believe they are so busy/think they are worth so much that they cannot sacrifice an afternoon in return for travel costs, food and mass adulation.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I didn't go. We have done well out of OGH (especially at Gillingham) and he has done well out of the Albion. What need is there for a pay-day ? He has been paid - and has got another season. I was pleased to go to Kerry's testimonial - local lad, links to the Goldstone, loyal to the club. OGH is a professional who did not get a better offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here