Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Sven performed a miracle?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Is this going to be the first World Cup finals that England have appeared in where we aren't going to expect them to win it? If so, I say 'Well done that man'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe he's got his money on Sweden, there must be a conspiracy theory out there given the forward selection :rolleyes:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
MattewEdwards ShinPads said:
I think it's a very very exiting squad! The only gripe I have is I would leave out Hargreaves and Jenas and Take Defoe and SWP!

JJ has been indifferent this year but can pop up with a goal when needed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jim D said:
Is this going to be the first World Cup finals that England have appeared in where we aren't going to expect them to win it? If so, I say 'Well done that man'.

This is the first WC since 1970 where I've actually thought we have a chance of winning it. I've even put money on it - the first time I've ever backed them - and I've got a good track record here: I've picked the winners of the last three WCs and the last two Euro championships.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jim D said:
I know what you're saying and I agree. I'm going to get very boring (and probably have already) by banging on that in the six Finals we've qualified for since 1966 every time the team has flown out it has been accompanied by newspaper stories saying: "We should win it we're England, we've got world class players who on their day are more than a match for anybody. And we invented the game and we used to beat everybody before World War 2 (which we won as well) so we should be the best" The only thing that's changed is that over the years the same words have been said in an increasingly hysterical fashion.

So if an element of realism is finally going to penetrate the English psyche then I think this is the 'best' squad ever!

Oh, and well done Sven for picking Walcott (who might be good) over Bent and Defoe, who whilst they might be good enough to play for someone like Poland would never get into a top international side. A gamble, possibly stupid, possibly inspired but necessary given the paucity of English attacking talent. Well, fit attacking talent anyway.

I'm looking forward to it, I didn't expect us to win even with Rooney and so my expecations are pretty much unchanged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here