Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has NAYLOR Written his 1st Good Article

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Why Albion missed the play-offs
By Andy Naylor
Comment | Read Comments (3)
The measure of success in the money-mad world of football is linked more than ever before to financial clout.

Finishing runners-up in the Premier League and losing the Champions League final will count as failure for Manchester United or Chelsea with their vast wealth. Survival in the top flight, on the other hand, is a triumph for the likes of Wigan.

Where does that leave Albion in League One? What should be regarded as success?

advertisementIn the Championship, Withdean puts them at such a disadvantage that staying up would be the realistic aim. In League One, the pitfalls of competing in a cramped temporary home are, with the exception of a couple of fallen giants like Leeds and Nottingham Forest, minimised.

The playing field levels out. Albion are, until Falmer is built, about where they should be in football's pecking order.

And so, as the dust settles on Dean Wilkins' first full season as manager, finishing a place outside the play-offs in seventh should be treated as a success but of the qualified rather than unqualified variety.

Considerable progress has been made. Compared to last season's modest showing, the Seagulls ended 11 places higher, gained 16 points more, had five extra wins and suffered six fewer defeats.

Most noticeably, Withdean has been turned back into something of a fortress again. If Albion's away form had not deteriorated, a top six finish would have been attainable.

It still was but, in two critical periods of the campaign, when opportunity knocked the door slammed shut.

A play-off place was not lost with a home defeat by relegated Port Vale at the beginning of April or the late goals conceded at Cheltenham at the start of February.

It was lost during a turbulent spell mid-season, when the team unravelled and had to be pieced back together.

When Albion cruised to victory at Swindon in mid-December, with a line-up which included Dean Hammond, George O'Callaghan and Bas Savage, they were seventh in the table.

They were together in the side only onc more, at Millwall on Boxing Day, where grievances over both delays and chairman Dick Knight's hard-line approach in contract talks were aired by O'Callaghan and Savage.

They did not play for the club again but the mood of discontent rumbled on into and through January, the saga over Hammond's future ending with an acrimonious move for the influential captain to Colchester.

The instability was devastating. Between Boxing Day and the close of the January transfer window, Albion took just five points from a possible 18, lost at home to Mansfield in the FA Cup and went out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at Swansea with a severely weakened side. Rather than building on an encouraging first half of the season, rebuilding became necessary during January.

Alex Revell and Nathan Elder were also sold, Glenn Murray, Steve Thomson and Jonny Dixon all signed in an unfamiliar spending spree.

The new players and new-look team gelled in the nick of time. Albion had slipped to 16th and were in danger of being sucked into a relegation battle when they came from behind to beat Cheltenham at home.

That turning point was the springboard for the play-off challenge to be revived during a hectic and profitable March, when nine matches were packed into 29 days. This was the second critical period of the campaign. Key players in Matt Richards and Adam El-Abd were lost in successive games through injury.

The loan transfer window was still open but Albion showed limited ambition on and off the pitch. Bringing in Ian Westlake from Leeds and Therry Racon from Charlton merely maintained numbers.

Consecutive goalless deadlocks at Forest and Leeds were regarded as a triumph but draws get you nowhere these days and the defeats which followed, against Port Vale and at Southend, effectively ended Albion's challenge.

The nagging feeling is that, when a second chance arose to reach the play-offs, they did not go all out for it.

The Seagulls could live to regret this conservatism. You cannot pick and choose when you are going to be in contention, football does not work like that. You have to seize the moment.

The bar has been raised. Fans, based on this season's near-miss, will now be expecting a play-off spot next season but it is dangerous to assume that will automatically follow.

Discount Leeds' 15-point penalty and the gap between Albion and the top four was double figures, so there is a lot of ground to make up on the teams who miss out in the play-offs, not to mention relegated Leicester and Paul Ince's thriving MK Dons.

Much will depend on Wilkins' overhaul of the squad. He needs a left-back, central midfielder and please, please, at least one winger to provide much-needed width, as well as back-up for the prolific combination of Murray and Nicky Forster.

Following this week's clearout, Wilkins now has the chance to really stamp his mark and mould his own squad.

The target then must be promotion, either next season or the one after, so that Albion move into Falmer in the Championship.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Have to admit that is a good article have to agree there Brett:down:

One thing i didn't like though

The playing field levels out. Albion are, until Falmer is built, about where they should be in football's pecking order.

Think that statement is incorrect

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

How much higher do you expect us to be when home gates dip as low as 4,500? Or do you think we're still punching above our weight?

When Falmer is built, we'll be a decent sized provincial club again - maybe as big as we've ever been. Until then, we're a mid sized division 3 club.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

although I'd like to think that is incorrect, in reality there are a few teams that can sustain themselves in the Championship with ground capacitys similar to Withdean

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He's still a tw@t and can't help getting digs in.

We dropped to 16th mainly because we weren't able to play some games (and we won those games in hand in March)

We weren't doing so well before Christmas - we were holding on. Remember all the chat about how the run of draws was damaging our push for the play-offs?

And when will people stop looking back at Bas Savage and talking about him in the same reverential tones that people use for Pele? He was dead average at best and even in Naylor's own words, the Murray/Forster combo has been "prolific".

Where do you think we should be then?

I agree, the article is good. I think he doesn't give enough credit for securing Westlake and Racon though; he wanted to see more new players come in... but wouldn't that have led to further unrest in the team and the new players having to gell? I was pretty happy when we signed those two, as it addressed probably our greatest weakness at the time.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
How much higher do you expect us to be when home gates dip as low as 4,500? Or do you think we're still punching above our weight?

When Falmer is built, we'll be a decent sized provincial club again - maybe as big as we've ever been. Until then, we're a mid sized division 3 club.

Punched below our weight this year again.

Without the unrest at Christmas we would be in the playoffs

Somewhere we will be at the end of next season if DW makes some good signings this summer

Maybe on an emotional level but his supporting point about the disadvantages of playing at Withdean being exacerbated if we were in the Championship seems perfectly valid to me.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
although I'd like to think that is incorrect, in reality there are a few teams that can sustain themselves in the Championship with ground capacitys similar to Withdean

Sorry i thought it was down to the players winning the games not the size of the stadium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lush

Mods' Pet
He really doesn't like DK does he? And it does make me laugh that even the positives are phrased to look like negatives. "Glenn Murray, Steve Thomson and Jonny Dixon all signed..." (so good thing!) "...in an unfamiliar spending spree" (so bad thing). He just can't resist it can he?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Punched below our weight this year again.

Without the unrest at Christmas we would be in the playoffs

Somewhere we will be at the end of next season if DW makes some good signings this summer

I think we are punching above our weight at the moment, let alone if we got into the playoffs.

I daresay there are not many clubs in this league that have been renting for twelve years and have had to finance an expensive planning case (£3.5m) for a new stadium, whilst gaining nothing financially from the sale of an old ground.

Every year it is getting more and more difficult to achieve some sort of 'success'.

Sorry i thought it was down to the players winning the games not the size of the stadium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the ground is key to that, on two fronts. Bigger stadium (and, let's assume, bigger crowds - there would be in the Championship) means more money in the coffers means more money for transfer fees and wages to attract better players, making it more likely that we will win more games.

Also (and people on here are constantly complaining about this) the problem of generating an atmosphere at Withdean. It must surely help the home players if there is atmosphere, and plenty of people behind them.

Doesn't the size of the stadium and home attendances dictate the quality of players bought in/retained?

Can you see the gates going up next season as things stand?

Yes.

The discounted Season Ticket initiative seems to have attracted new younger fans which in itself will make getting tickets that little bit harder which in turn (hopefully) makes an Albion ticket valuable again. Unlike recent years where people couldn't even give a ticket away when they couldn't use their season ticket.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We have nearly always been a mediocre third division team, even when we had the Goldstone. The problem is that Brighton is NOT a football town and the recent migration of Londoners/Poles/Welsh/etc into the town has not helped the home support.

Also, the club seems to be displaying real ambition again (rather than pretending).

We've also got the Stadium factor too-regular updates on how things are progressing there will generate enthusiasm and should start attracting back a lot of people who have stopped watching The Albion. Remember too that the better seats at the new stadium will likely be taken by existing STHs...maybe the stay-aways will start drifting back to ensure a half decent seat at Falmer?

Lots of factors suggest that we should start seeing much better attendances.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Also, the club seems to be displaying real ambition again (rather than pretending).

We've also got the Stadium factor too-regular updates on how things are progressing there will generate enthusiasm and should start attracting back a lot of people who have stopped watching The Albion. Remember too that the better seats at the new stadium will likely be taken by existing STHs...maybe the stay-aways will start drifting back to ensure a half decent seat at Falmer?

Lots of factors suggest that we should start seeing much better attendances.

That's ehy i think we will be better palaced to attract new players and i think the future looks quite good.

Playoffs next season i reckon:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here