Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Brighton and Hove become independent from the rest of the UK?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Phoned Woodvale Crematorium to enquire if they could record a service as one of the mourners is away in the forces in Afghanistan, and just mentioned in the conversation to the lady that the young man, who was as grandson of the deceased, was away defending our nation.
She immediatley replied that she found the comment offensive because he is certainly not fighting for her.
Some people............

Dec 29, 2011
Was that the worked who said that?

Even if I do or don't agree with her views, i'd certainly look elsewhere. You are a client and as such should be treated with respect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even a crematorium has customer services and as such, the worker concerned shouldn't give their own personal opinion to someone who is booking those services.

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
I work at Gatwick and serve all different kinds of people with all different kinds of backgrounds. We are always told never talk to customers about... Religion, democracy and money. She should respect your wishes without saying anything in my opinion.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yes, poor customer service, she should have just let it pass by even though she is right.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps she also thinks that refering to all soldiers as 'heroes' is also wrong. Fair play to her, but I would question saying it while working with the bereaved.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Silly cow. Post an edited (but not untrue) version. Facebook it, twitter it, tell the Argus and Daily Mail, then write a complaint to the crematorium.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I would think in most companies that would be a dismissal or severe reprimand offence. Not quite so sure in the council though. They would probably give her a pat on the back.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Phoned Woodvale Crematorium to enquire if they could record a service as one of the mourners is away in the forces in Afghanistan, and just mentioned in the conversation to the lady that the young man, who was as grandson of the deceased, was away defending our nation.
She immediatley replied that she found the comment offensive because he is certainly not fighting for her.
Some people............

Don't complain to us, complain to her boss or she may upset someone else too - they'll no doubt have a website with contact details on it, else use good old Directory Enquiries.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Some people............

Well, as it stands and even most right wing of Tories would agree - it's debatable at the moment whether our forces in Afghanistan are currently "defending our nation".

It's a technical point rather than a political one. The defending bit has been done.

But even so, most people on the left wouldn't have a problem with soldiers being described as such in generic terms.

But why would someone bother to comment in such a context ?

Stupid and should consider another career if that decision doesn't get made for them.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Sussex seceding from the UK would explain the slightly surreal immigration hall experience I had in Gatwick ("Chelsea? We're full... oh wait, no, you can come in" when the blind bat realised there were white stripes on my shirt....)

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Perhaps she's a female member of the Taliban?

A Talibanana, I believe they're called.

Not really.

:banana:

stop it i have a cough, and that isn't helping :'D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here