Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone spent any decent amount of time in Toronto or Brisbane?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I may have a chance to spend a few months in either Toronto or Brisbane... but I can only pick one!

I'm obviously doing a fair bit of research, but don't know anyone that's spent anything more than a week in either of them. I have no ties to either at the moment, so does anyone here have anything to say in favour of or against going there?

I'll be going alone, if that would make any difference to the advice...

Thanks in advance.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
went to Toronto on hols and was left a bit underwhelmed to be honest

was in an October and so getting cold, but just couldn't find loads to do once i ticked off the sights

Preston Parker

Sep 21, 2008
Hmmm, have a guess
Havn't been to Brisbane but know it's hot in summer and same in winter and also that it is the city with the largest number of kiwis outsie of NZ. Good surfing country. Will be there one day.
I visited Toronto-eh? on business many times over a ten year period, with one stop of 3-4 months.
Plus side: very cosmopolitan - more so that any North American city I have been to. They even have a thing called Pavilions/Caravans in the summer which is a celebration of the different communities that live there - they arrange buses (caravans) to take you to the hundred or so centres (pavilions)for Korean/Algerian/Samoan/and so on to let you have a taste of food and culture (dance, music etc). Superb.
They have a footy team with some of the best support in the NASL as well as top ice hockey and baseball (well, they won loads more when I lived there, gone a bit downhill since). Loads of micro-brew pubs and downtown always has something musical going on around the Uni area or Yonge st.
They are not Americans and don't swear allegiance etc etc.
Cross country skiing is great - loads of trails, even from downtown.

Down side: when it's hot, it smells of pollution and knowing it is 00's of miles to the sea dosn't hep (Lake Ontario is nice, but it is not the sea)
When it is cold, it is friggin freezing.
Take-home alcohol is not easy to buy on a casual basis and reminded me of Finland with the attitude that 'you don't really want to drink much or often do you?'. I can only recall 2 or 3 beer and wine off licences in downtown Toronto, but you could buy it 24 hours for delivery to the door. Strange.
Nearest downhill skiing is a few hours away on an artificial hill, just 300' tall - that's a third the height of the downs. Great for intorducing skiing to my 4 year old, at the time, but not for me.
They say eh? after most statements and you hav to fight hard not to do the same.
They are Canadians, a very large number of Irish heritage and will remind you of the potato famine, black'n tans etc after they have had a few beers in aforementioned micro-brew pubs.

All in all, I would absolutely recommend Toronto-eh? ahead of any other N.A. city.

Preston Parker

Sep 21, 2008
Hmmm, have a guess
Havn't been to Brisbane but know it's hot in summer and same in winter and also that it is the city with the largest number of kiwis outsie of NZ. Good surfing country. Will be there one day.
I visited Toronto-eh? on business many times over a ten year period, with one stop of 3-4 months.
Plus side: very cosmopolitan - more so that any North American city I have been to. They even have a thing called Pavilions/Caravans in the summer which is a celebration of the different communities that live there - they arrange buses (caravans) to take you to the hundred or so centres (pavilions)for Korean/Algerian/Samoan/and so on to let you have a taste of food and culture (dance, music etc). Superb.
They have a footy team with some of the best support in the NASL as well as top ice hockey and baseball (well, they won loads more when I lived there, gone a bit downhill since). Loads of micro-brew pubs and downtown always has something musical going on around the Uni area or Yonge st.
They are not Americans and don't swear allegiance etc etc.
Cross country skiing is great - loads of trails, even from downtown.

Down side: when it's hot, it smells of pollution and knowing it is 00's of miles to the sea dosn't hep (Lake Ontario is nice, but it is not the sea)
When it is cold, it is friggin freezing.
Take-home alcohol is not easy to buy on a casual basis and reminded me of Finland with the attitude that 'you don't really want to drink much or often do you?'. I can only recall 2 or 3 beer and wine off licences in downtown Toronto, but you could buy it 24 hours for delivery to the door. Strange.
Nearest downhill skiing is a few hours away on an artificial hill, just 300' tall - that's a third the height of the downs. Great for intorducing skiing to my 4 year old, at the time, but not for me.
They say eh? after most statements and you hav to fight hard not to do the same.
They are Canadians, a very large number of Irish heritage and will remind you of the potato famine, black'n tans etc after they have had a few beers in aforementioned micro-brew pubs.

All in all, I would absolutely recommend Toronto-eh? ahead of any other N.A. city.

I lived in Toronto for 16 years-never saw many cross country ski trails Downtown though (closest was High Park that I can remember). Found I had to go to Mosport or one of the Conservation Areas for my weekly fix. Within 1-2 Km of Yonge and Dundas you'll find about 5 Beer Stores and the same number of Liquor Stores. You won't find booze available in your local Loblaws or other supermarket but it isn't hard to obtain. Toronto has 2 Downtown Chinatowns. It also boasts Little Italy, Little Portugal and the Greeks tend to live in The Danforth area. If you like different foods then T.O. is the place-I believe it is the most Culturally diverse city with at least 57 languages (probably loads more now) spoken in its communities. You will never go hungry in T.O. nor will you get bored of the food on offer.

The time of year determines what kind of visit you'll have but Toronto is great Winter or Summer. If you or the family like shopping you won't be disappointed. Niagara Falls is 90 minutes away-great Summer or Winter once you ignore the tacky touristy bits. Within drive-able distances are many beautiful regions: Thousand Islands, Muskoka, Haliburton, Blue Mountain.

Downtown Toronto has anything you'll ever need-strip joints, bars (straight, gay, transgendered), more restaurants and diners than you'll ever need, sport, loads of music venues, theatres and they're all served by a reasonably priced public transit system. There are museums, a Planterium, a zoo that you used to be able to cross country ski around plus of course The CN Tower and what used to known as SkyDome before Ted Rogers got it on the cheap and re-named it.

Toronto is a great place to live, work and play. If you don't have a great time it isn't Toronto's fault!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was in Brisbane for about a week. It did seem to be a very run of the mill Australian City, but I did like it. One of the benefits of Brisbane is that you are within spitting distance (Australian Relativity) of Noosa Head and Fraser Island*. Noth tourist haunts, but well worth a visit.

* Largest sand island in the world.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
PM Juan Albion -- he lives in Toronto....

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
PM Juan Albion -- he lives in Toronto....

No I do not. I live in a village population 1100. A world away from Toronto. Well, only 120kms but a world of difference.

I will head down that way on Wednesday, though, for my annual dose of Andy Kim, with Ron Sexsmith and Alex Lifeson. I bet Brisbane doesn't have Andy Kim.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I had you and Toronto Seagull crossed up somehow, Juan....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Toronto if you like snow, Brisbane if you like sun.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Have been to both and, if I was choosing, Brisbane would win hands down. Not so much for the city itself which is just pleasant really, but for all of the stunning things within reach. On a day or two off you could easily chill out at Byron Bay, get some action at Surfers Paradise, feed wild dolphins at Tangalooma, head north to Hervey Bay for some of the world's best whale watching, camp on the amazing Fraser Island. .. Not to mention just hanging out at home with a beer and a BBQ, making use of a great climate.

I don't think brisbane cuts it as many people's favourite Aussie city, but as a gateway to some fantastic places it's a winner.

Toronto was good, but nowhere near as remarkable as Vancouver and its surrounds which probably are closer to the image of Canada we have in this country. That said, choosing to live in either of those countries for a while means you can't really lose !

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
My son lives on Toronto having lived in Sydney and Brisbane. Thinks Toronto is the best of three. The city itself is vibrant plus there are far more places worth seeing in easy reach or a quick flight. New York/Boston/Montreal/Quebec/Chicago etc.

I have not lived in Toronto but over the years have spent in total a few months there. I like it. The Torontorians are very nice people, eating out is a delight and shopping good. Public Transport is excellent. The countryside north of the city is great. If there is a downside it's the weather. It's either hot and humid or freezing cold. Best months are September and October IMHO. Been to Sydney but not Brisbane so cannot compare except to say I found the Aussies were not particulary friendly.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I had a rather indecent time in Toronto a few years ago. Does that help?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I lived in Brisbane for 6 months when I first arrived in Oz back in 1982 .
Fly back regulary from Sydney , 2 or 3 times a year , visiting family .
Have never warmed to the place . To this day it still has an air of conservatism .
There's been plenty of development over the ensuing decades , but I still find it a bland featureless city .
Brisbane is devoid of beaches , but head north to the Sunshine Coast and you will be well rewarded . The Sunshine Coast kicks in at Caloundra , about an hours' drive . A further hour and you reach the northern tip at Noosa Heads . I head here myself on holiday , it's a wonderful spot .
Less than an hour south of Brisbane is the much more urbanised Gold Coast .
Lots of high-rise and a fair share of tackyness . But again , you'll find plenty of surfing beaches .
As for Toronto , never been to Canada , so can't help you there .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have been to both and, if I was choosing, Brisbane would win hands down. Not so much for the city itself which is just pleasant really, but for all of the stunning things within reach. On a day or two off you could easily chill out at Byron Bay, get some action at Surfers Paradise, feed wild dolphins at Tangalooma, head north to Hervey Bay for some of the world's best whale watching, camp on the amazing Fraser Island. .. Not to mention just hanging out at home with a beer and a BBQ, making use of a great climate.

I don't think brisbane cuts it as many people's favourite Aussie city, but as a gateway to some fantastic places it's a winner.

What trueblue said :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here