Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone got a mg or rover?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My mrs saw a really nice mg convertible in north star and itbwas only £3500 on a w plate?

Anyway, as mg rover have basically gone, what are they like trying to get them serviced? Is there any garages left that do....I can just about inflate the tyres so I am not mechanical at all! I have also heard that they are not the most reliable of cars

Thanks in advance.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
not sure, might be worth giving a company like CPA (car parts and accessories) or cliffords of brighton a call and see if you can buy the service kits off the shelf chap most garages get the kits from motor factors rather then manufacturers. I used to work in that trade for my dad and we done parts for cars that no longer made as they are patented parts. But worth checking with a motor factors first mate.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Is it the MG-F or the MG-TF ? If it's the F avoid.

Also if you wanted something along those lines then a Mazda MX-5 is a much better car, cheaper and parts are plentiful. The K series engine in the MG cars are prone to head gasket failure.

From what I can remember servicing parts are OK to come across but stuff like body panels can be scarce.

EDIT: Just spotted the TF was introduced in 2002. The F isn't very good alas.

EDIT2: According to Parkers, the going rate for a 2001 1.8 model at a garage is under a grand! I would definately pass on the one you saw.

2002/51 MG F 1.8i VVC 2d Valuation - Parkers

Last edited:

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
Neither F nor TF are particularly reliable, I've had both and the F (was a Y reg, paid £3,200 for it, 2 & half years ago) which had had its head gasket go at 30,000 miles (before I had it) and a TF (02 plate, paid £4k, 2 years ago) which the head went at 60,000 miles. They have a design fault and are notorious for this failure so proceed with extreme caution, you are probably better off getting an MX5, MR2 or S2000. The TF is a lovely looking car though!

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
Caterpillar Logistics Services took on the supply of MG/Rover parts, so that side is still covered somewhat, but in all honesty, buy something else that hasn't gone bust.
£3.5K for a 2000 year MG, not even worth half that, regardless of what model it is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
£3.5k? buy a MX5.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Had one briefly, not a TF but a ZR160+

Parts are not a problem, skilled mechanics are not a problem. Pretty much any former dealer still in existence is very willing to do them. The TF is under construction again now albeit not all parts are identical. There are definitely more Rover drivers and indeed fans in the UK than here so I'd think finding a mechanic would be even easier - and I had a choice of two former main dealers and a few privateers.

Reliability on the 160+ was a bugger, though...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Had a brand new MGF VVC back in the late 90s. The car I wanted the most out of any I've had - and by far the worst built. Broke down more than once in the first year, had unlacquered paint work, a 6 inch gouge out of the glove box door, holes in the carpets and mirror adjusters that would fall of every couple of journeys. Also some terrible rattles and a loud cracking noise from the steering column. After about 18 months of constant trips to the dealer, they told me they would need to 're-weld the crossbeam'. Don't know what that meant but it didn't sound good! Soon after that, I insisted they give me a good price for it as there'd been so much trouble and went the other way completely with a fairly dull but very comfortable, reliable Audi.

I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I used to knock about in a Honda s2000. Good looking well built and reliable . Pretty quick too . Look into that instead . Mg and rover are awful

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Go for a late Alfa Spider twinspark with full service history, recent cambelt and variator change and poweflexed rear end, you will get one in tip top condition for 3.5k

all you need to know is here, so much car for the money if you buy right.

GTV Spider buyers guide! - Alfa Romeo Forum

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
My other half had an MG & the heasd gasket went twice. The mechanic at the garage said its a common (& very expensive) fault with them. Hers was a 54 plate & I don't know about the older models.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I had a rover 220 tomcat a few years ago and the head went, in the top of the block are locating pins that stick up that the head sits on to locate it properly, the ones on my engine were plastic and failed which caused the head gasket to go,

apparently rover did re call them but mine obviously slipped through the net, perhaps they went back to plastic lugs to save money, wouldn't surprise me that's for sure........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here