Has anyone been to

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Momma Cherri's Big House ?

www.mommacherri.co.uk

What's it like ? The wife's booked it up for my Birthday next Saturday but i've read some reviews and they are very mixed and some totally slate the place
Whats does NSC think is it worth a go or should we avoid it like the plague ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I've never been but I think that the general consensus was that it was shit, then Gordon Ramsay made it much better and now it's gone shit again.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's a big version of the old place. Less soul, more numbers apparently.

Expect it to be FUN but not BRILLIANT I would say.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Its f***ing SHIT, your wife must really like you...........not!!

If I wanted to really piss some one off, wanted to dump someone, or get food poisioning I would go to Mommas Shit Hole Cherry. They have even removed the comments from the restaurant guide page I look at from time to time as there were so many people slating it, from bad/cold food to shit & food over tha walls.

Enjoy, let us know how you get on.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Have to agree, one of the worst eating out experinces I have ever had. substandard food, bland menu and her "soul food" has about as much soul as Withdean on Johnson's Paint Trophy first round night.

Momma Cherri is more interest in raking it in as a z-list celeb (see how her image has changed since the Ramsay days) than running a decent restaurant. I look forward to the day the hype dies away and her business with it because there too many good places to eat out at in Brighton for places like that to stay open.

rant over

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I would say if you want a bit of food on a Sunday if you're out for the day with your Mrs and "eating out" isnt the highlight of the day then you will like it.

If you book up for a meal and your Mrs spends time prettying her face etc etc then you will prob not think its all that

Get me

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What pissed me off about her is that she won business person of the year. For Ramsay sorting out all her problems. Which she then f***ed up all over again and he had to sort it out all over again. And she has cookbook even though her restaruants poorly regarded and she admits she didn't know anything about sould food until a couple of years ago. and she's black

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was there on Tuesday for a cheridee bash.

I have had worse food, but I've also had better. If it's a nice time with a load of pals for your birthday, it will be fine. If you're taking someone out (not in the Chuck Norris sense, obviously) for a romantic evening, go somewhere else.

It's not 'shit' (far from it), but by the same token, cordon bleu it ain't.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Right I think I will give it a miss theres a few of us out, so what about Iguana's ?
Want some good food with some good atmosphere but something a little bit different !

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My wife, number 2, bought me a ticket for a swingers party at such a place back in about 98'. I didn't know specifically what it was to be, but she'd awoken me after a nourishing afternoon nap bathed in dreams of honey and bears and skinnings and rugs and huts and taxidermy and feasts of all leftover meats plucked from the brainless, but character-driven blocks of unmutated death i'd caught last week, my hand-marks on their fractured throats. Well, once my eyes had opened there Number 2 was with a card, a rose and a tray with both a miniature plate of bourbons alongside an envelope which had the word SECRET penned to its outside. I've never been a fan of secrets so i ignored it and headed toward the chocolate biscuit sandwiches, that little scattering of sugar on it's roof both enticing and promising of decay.
When they'd each, 4 of them, been mouthed and Number 2 re-donned clothing that would cover her shivering and bruised milky torso, i thought it best the card and i became well-read and the SECRETS envelope then opened. Inside it was a crumpled and over-folded sheet of A7 paper with one address scrawled helixically in it's centre. 'I can't be bothered with this.' i thought, but by night i'd come back to it and took a moment to read this helterskelter of arduous legibility.
DIRTY BURGLARS
19 MERRYWEATHERS PLACE
LUTON

'Ooooh' i thought, 'what's this all about?', and decided it best to ask Number 2, whose name i've fogotten now and then too. She said it was a secret and should just go along and enjoy myself. She'd be coming with me and we should costume ourselves, stroll into this birthday paradise masked by some winsome impersonation of a couple we'd rather be. So, of course, Number 2 and i went as Delboy and Raquel, the silent unhappiness yelped for good in her look. As the door to DIRTY BURGLARS cast itself unlocked i saw the holder of this event was none other than Number 1, my first wife. 'Oh bloody heavens!' i shouted in thought, wondering how i'd introduce 1 to 2 without either of them sharing the muddy gleams of my relational past or present. I smiled, hoping my shattered garb would disguise me enough, but a "Hello Meady." worryingly emerged from her still somewhat toothless mouth, her hand out-stretched. I shook it tightly. Number 2 was mostly mute and just smirked her greeting in reply.
It was an awkward night overall, but, strangely enough, i actually met Number 3 there. Her and i shared the longest marriage i've managed. About 30 months, no children, no broken bones.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We went for Superwifes birthday in March 2006 and it was great, but that was in the old restaurant, before they moved. It would be a shame if it really has gone down the pan, we really enjoyed it. Oh well, such is the call of celebrity.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Right I think I will give it a miss theres a few of us out, so what about Iguana's ?
Want some good food with some good atmosphere but something a little bit different !

Went to Iguanas on the South Bank and was very impressed, excellent food - mainly South American and Mexican, if a bit pricey. Throughly recommended. The Brighton one is near the library i think

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I haven't been myself but my colleagues went to Iguana's when I was on holiday and gave it a good report.

Roz and I went to Momma Cherri's about three weeks ago. The place was heaving with customers and we couldn't get a table. Momma C did, however, point us in the direction of the North African eatery a few doors away, where we enjoyed a very fine meal indeed.

She also recommended a new Italian place in Hove. If you have any doubts about her own fare, it might still be worth going there, just to ask her where to get a decent meal.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here