Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has 2011 been your best year following the Albion?

Has this been the best year you've had following the Albion?

• Yes, yes it is

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • No, no it's not (state why)

Votes: 34 40.0%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Scoring goals for fun (for a while at least)
Quality classy football
Champions at a canter
Smashing our transfer record repeatedly
The opening of the Amex
The whole emotional Donny day
Some wonderful games and atmospheres in our new home that is constantly sold out
Plans to expand to c30,000 taking shape
Wonderful plans for a training centre to help us nurture our playing talent at all levels

Is this the best year you've had following the Albion? If not, what was?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Of course the whole Amex experience has been superb. But for me the 1982/83 FA Cup run has yet to be eclipsed as far as the football is concerned.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

No, it has been the biggest positive contrast between years ever, but not the best year.
Although the Amex is great we have some way to beat the 30000 standing crowds (without the JCL's) at the Goldstone and the transfer of Lawrenson.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Without a doubt best season ever ,
. How much drama if Hollywood had wrote it you'd have said it was too far fetched .
Final season at withdean as champions followed by brand new stadium and so many games already to live long in the memory classics such as doncaster , Leeds , Sunderland , Liverpool , forest last minute winner , burnley for backs against wall atmos , ok a few results of late not been great but still best season ever for me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd say yes, as our potential is now the greatest it has ever been and this makes it the most exciting period to be an Albion fan.

The pinnacle of our achievements to date is an FA Cup final, 2nd in The Championship and 4 seasons battling relegation in the top flight. I believe we have the real potential to better all of this in the coming years. Exciting yes?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No. I really enjoyed the year we got promoted to the old Division 1. Seagulls Specials, arguably a better atmosphere, proper football - no cheating (not by us!), proper tackles, muddy pitches and dare I say less pernickety referee's. I also enjoyed the first year in Division 1 for the same reasons and the experience.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
1979 has to be the best - promotion to the top flight and games against the big boys for the first time. 1983 has to be second for the FA Cup run. The achievements of both these years have never been repeated so they have to be the best.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No, '77, '78 '79 with wardy, horton & co were still the best albion supporting years for me

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wonder which calendar year was technically our best as far as results - 2001?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I agree with everyone the rise from the old 3rd div to the 1st from 77 to 79 will always be by far our greatest days ever , thats why I'm loving it now coz Once again it's a slow rise from lower leagues to the top again and I'm still standing side by side with my dad who took me to all those great games in the 70s plus I have my own son watching all the games now , so for me now these are our great days . Live for now and in 30 years time people will be saying years 11 , 12 & 13 were our greatest ever

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
Yes. Winning the league with so much style and so many great results, that was brilliant! And then finally seeing the Amex completed was just a dream come true. Of course you just cannot go through talking about this year without mentioning the Doncaster game. That day will be in my mind forever, i will always remember the roar after Buckley scored the 2nd!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No. My personal favourite year, as opposed to season, was 1977. That had the end of the 76/77 season, the first under Mullery and the promotion from the old old third to the old old second, and the start of the 77/78 season, where we pretty much carried on in the 2nd division they way we'd dominated in the 3rd. There are obvious parallels between 1977 and 2011 of course: big home crowds, great away experiences and the feeling that the club was really, finally going places; but in 1977 I was young and it was all new. Plus of course in 1977 we had terraces and the famous 'social club on wheels' aka the Seagull Special trains.

However 2011 is probably my second favourite year. 1978 we had the heartbreak of not getting promotion and in 1979 we had the reality check of GETTING promotion and playing in the first division. By the end of 1979 the crowds, home and away, were already going down as the fickle Brighton fans were upset that we couldn't beat teams like Everton and Birmingham as easily as we'd beaten the likes of Halifax and Walsall. 2011 has had absolutely no downsides whatsoever.

1979 for me but if you cannot go that far back then I suppose this calendar year has to be the best. I rule out 1983 because although the cup run was great we did, after all, get beaten easily in the replay and we were relegated.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
A real toss up for me, 79 was brilliant for obvious reasons. But so was 83 for the cup, but tinged with sadness over relegation. 2011 has been fantastic, but the nostalgia of the Goldstone and those glory years, still to be beaten for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here