Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's phone in

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I am in fact Harty's Media Whore, I feel if I critisise him, he will take it constructively( or twat me one in the Sportsman) but here goes

John from kampala phoned in...great I thought. But he couldn't get a word in edgeways...harty went off on one and you could hear John trying to chip in to no avail, and then to make matters worse, that Mike " I am a psuedo Albion legend" Ward was on also spouting and it turned into a two way conversation with harty and "wardy".......

I will try and get on next Saturday!!!!

:p :clap2: :p :p

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
dave the gaffer said:
As I am in fact Harty's Media Whore, I feel if I critisise him, he will take it constructively( or twat me one in the Sportsman) but here goes

John from kampala phoned in...great I thought. But he couldn't get a word in edgeways...harty went off on one and you could hear John trying to chip in to no avail, and then to make matters worse, that Mike " I am a psuedo Albion legend" Ward was on also spouting and it turned into a two way conversation with harty and "wardy".......

I will try and get on next Saturday!!!!

:p :clap2: :p :p

Who was this bloke who said that we should get relegated? we where walking up the hill at the time and didn't hear the conversation.

Re: Re: Harty's phone in

brightonfan_86 said:
Who was this bloke who said that we should get relegated? we where walking up the hill at the time and didn't hear the conversation.

It sounded like someone Harty wanted to have a pop at for reasons best known to himself, my bet is that it's someone in the supporters club, given Harty's reference to bobble hats.

Probably someone said to him, getting Falmer is more important than getting relegated, and Harty interprets that, in his usual nuanced style, as being that he/she wants us relegated.

Using his position as phone-in host to conduct feuds is pretty poor. Why not get the person on to state their arguments if he thinks that this is such a big issue.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All I heard Harty saying was something like "If that person doesn't mind if we get relegated then he's not a true Brighton fan and should give his season ticket up to somebody who cares about the Albion".

Bit harsh-especially if taken out of context as part of a "Falmer is the most important thing at the moment" comment.

At least we didn't have FG and Mavis from Hailsham on because of a technical problem.....................

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The best callers are the ones who phone up and say "I wasnt at the game and I didnt listen to it all because I was doing the gardening but my son said..."

Obviously cant bear the weekend without day time chat shows on TV.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Now wait for it... I KNOW I am going to be accused of being biased... and feel free to do so...
BUT...

I squeezed my point on at the end of the phone-in about Colin Kazim-Richards, (whilst reluctantly calling in as I am all too aware of being over exposed and losing goodwill..it's uppermost in my mind believe me!)... I just don't agree with the guy who called in saying we should drop CKR from the starting line-up after just 1 and 3/4 games. True, he hasn't set the world alight yet, but there have been glimpses of what he has to offer - particularly seen in the Derby match.

Remember this guy has only played in 32 games EVER! I would put the same argument forward that people use for Jake Robinson... CKR and Jake BOTH need a decent run in the team. It's quite clear that they are not the same type of player and could BOTH play in the same line-up. I hold my hands up and admit that I don't know what sort of formation/other players sacrificed would support their inclusion though. That's Mark McGhee's job!

CKR desperately wants to do well. I spoke to his Dad in the pub beforehand and he expressed that Colin could not be happier than he is at Brighton. He also admitted that Colin feels he hasn't had what he would call a good performance yet... he's trying THAT hard to impress. Putting pressure on him or shattering his confidence by dropping him so soon can't be a good thing surely?

Awaits flames!!!

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
CKR has a lot to offer and given a few more games and no doubt a goal will boost his confidence levels no end.

The Coca-Cola kid will fizz into life against flat back four of Crewe

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jam The Man said:
Now wait for it... I KNOW I am going to be accused of being biased... and feel free to do so...
BUT...

I squeezed my point on at the end of the phone-in about Colin Kazim-Richards, (whilst reluctantly calling in as I am all too aware of being over exposed and losing goodwill..it's uppermost in my mind believe me!)... I just don't agree with the guy who called in saying we should drop CKR from the starting line-up after just 1 and 3/4 games. True, he hasn't set the world alight yet, but there have been glimpses of what he has to offer - particularly seen in the Derby match.

Remember this guy has only played in 32 games EVER! I would put the same argument forward that people use for Jake Robinson... CKR and Jake BOTH need a decent run in the team. It's quite clear that they are not the same type of player and could BOTH play in the same line-up. I hold my hands up and admit that I don't know what sort of formation/other players sacrificed would support their inclusion though. That's Mark McGhee's job!

CKR desperately wants to do well. I spoke to his Dad in the pub beforehand and he expressed that Colin could not be happier than he is at Brighton. He also admitted that Colin feels he hasn't had what he would call a good performance yet... he's trying THAT hard to impress. Putting pressure on him or shattering his confidence by dropping him so soon can't be a good thing surely?

Awaits flames!!!

I agree with you Jam

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Thanks!!! I try to be fair and equal.. honest! Me Dad would kick me arse if not!

Yep, I agree as well. He is only 18 FFS and has never played at this level before. He will come good, and sooner rather than later in my opinion as he has already shown flashes of quality.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
First time i've listened to SCR for a couple of years last night, abysmal as ever. Hawesy's commentary and interviewing are still irritating, Harty's phone-in is monosyllabic and seeks pointless controversy over incisiveness, the student radio station style technical problems are still rife and the jingles they use are straight out of Capital Gold circa 1987. My suspicion that the people running the thing probably wouldn't know what day it is was confirmed by the programme repeatedly reminding us that the show was called 'Saturday Sport.'

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Jam The Man said:

Awaits flames!!!

The kind of people who flame are the ones who couldn't be bothered to get off their arses and ever do anything for the club other than turn and watch matches and sometimes not even that.

I don't think anyone can begrudge your five minutes of fame.

I mean, it's not as if you've only been a supporter for three years and all of a sudden at the forefront of everything albion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We have more striker options than we've had for years. Strikers also have big egos and get insecure if they don't score goals, so you have to treat them carefully.

McGhee said last night that he is looking to get Turienzo in the team as soon as possible. Looking at the formation after he came on last night, the idea seems to be for the other striker or strikers to play off him.

I think McGhee would like CKR, Leon and El Turo in the same line up. I think our best formation is to have Leon on the left and CKR on the right with El Turo spearheading the attack.

Obviously, if the big Argentinian is shite it's back to Leon and CKR up front. Jake seems destinated to be a bench player this season.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Pavilionaire said:

Obviously, if the big Argentinian is shite it's back to Leon and CKR up front.

This scenario doesn't bare thinking about, look at the grief over Molango , McCammon and Jarrett who were frees.

We've just spent 100k of money that we haven't had for donkeys years. McGhee cannot afford for him to be shite .

Jam The Man said:
BUT...

Awaits flames!!!

It's incredible that there were criticisms of CKR yesterday. He was still among our best players despite fading a little late on.

The intriguing thing about him is that McGhee is still probably figuring out his best position - is it the spearhead of the attack as in these first two games, or a deeper lying role which would give him more a chance to run at defenders and use his impressive passing?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The intriguing thing about him is that McGhee is still probably figuring out his best position - is it the spearhead of the attack as in these first two games, or a deeper lying role which would give him more a chance to run at defenders and use his impressive passing? [/B]

I thought exactly that.. a deeper role may well be the answer.. plus it might allow for incorporation of 2 other forwards in the side...

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I think CKR is still feeling his way in to the team. We play a different style of football then he is used to and it will take him a few games to get used to that.

E

enigma

It's very harsh to judge a kid who has a lot of pressure on his shoulders after 2 matches... If he's not playing well in a month or so then maybe he could be rested but certainly not yet...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
At the end of the phone in it was suggested that the new away end would have a roof, have I missed something there.

There are also people moaning that it should be made the home end.

??? ???

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
Well done jam the man for a great post.

I thought CKR did very well at Derby, maybe not so well last night but he is young we must give him time and think will turn into a really good signing for us.

Unfortunately some people sat near me at Withdean have already decided he's crap and should go back to league two having only seen him play for 70 mins. Why, oh why, oh why???:nono: :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here