Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hartys Herald comments! 28/05/09

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
HARTY: On Albion's dream becoming a reality

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 28 May 2009
BURNLEY'S Championship play-off win against Sheffield United on Monday has local implications – not only for local Clarets Bernhardt Cozzi and Pussy Williams, but for Albion fans everywhere.
The Lancashire club's promotion to the Premiership proves that the dream can be a reality. And with last week's news that new Albion chairman Tony Bloom is prepared to bankroll both the stadium project and the team with multi-million pound funding, how far away is Premiership football in Sussex? Am I deluded?

Well, you probably would have said the same to Burnley supporters a few years ago, but it's clear, with the right formula, anything is possible.
Having avoided relegation to the bottom division, new Albion boss Russell Slade is being given a budget to mount a promotion challenge next season.

This throws up a debate among Albion fans. A number think that a transitional season is in order this year, with a sustained promotion challenge for the last year at Withdean – culminating in a first season in the Championship in the newly-opened Falmer.

I'm actually in the other camp. Although not taking anything for granted, and supporting the Albion you certainly can't, promotion this year would see the final year at Withdean in the Championship.

Now, for all the good that Dick Knight did, in my opinion, one of his failings was that in the seasons the Albion flirted with the Championship, he was unable to back his managers with a big enough budget.

With the figures being talked about with Tony Bloom, that's not the case, and that is the crux of the theory.

Brighton's big problem is that since they left the Goldstone in 1997, their fan base has been seriously affected. A final season at Withdean with a Champ-ionship campaign not fighting relegation will result in, potentially quality opponents, and near capacity crowds. That will, hopefully, sustain the interest in Falmer.

By the summer of 2011, I would hope that under Bloom's chairmanship, although the Premiership big four influence won't have been totally eradicated, more youngsters in Sussex between nine and 16 will be following the Albion in numbers not seen since the halcyon days of the Goldstone.

That fact alone will help put the all-important bums on seats at the new stadium and, perhaps the biggest factor, with the team not hampered by financial constraints, they will come back week after week.
Alan Pook's departure from Woodside Road marks a sea of change at Worthing FC.

It appears that by making former joint boss Danny Bloor re-apply for the manager's job, a number of people at the club hope that a better candidate will come forward.

For as much time as I have for Danny, perhaps a complete change is the answer. And perhaps, ultimately, that answer comes in the shape of former Albion legend Ian Chapman?

Having cut his non-league teeth with Whitehawk in the Sussex County League before coaching an Albion side to a creditable seventh finish in League One the season before last, he ticks all the boxes, and should finally unite what appears to still be a divided boardroom at Woodside Road.

And, finally, the St James's Park Class of 09 join that esteemed band of footballing luminaries that include Manch-ester United 74, Tottenham 77, West Ham 78, Manchester City 83, Nottingham Forest 93, Middlesboro 97 and West Ham (again) 2003.

"Too good to go down"– a phrase football fans from all the small unfashionable clubs never tire of hearing.

And even in relegation, Newcastle's celebrity supporter, Mr John McCririck, comes out with the classic line, "I can't believe we've got to play Peterborough and Scunthorpe".

Well, the Posh and the Iron are in the Championship on merit, and much the same can be said of the Magpies.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For as much time as I have for Danny, perhaps a complete change is the answer. And perhaps, ultimately, that answer comes in the shape of former Albion legend Ian Chapman?

Having cut his non-league teeth with Whitehawk in the Sussex County League before coaching an Albion side to a creditable seventh finish in League One the season before last, he ticks all the boxes, and should finally unite what appears to still be a divided boardroom at Woodside Road.

Funny, he was often dismissive of the 7th place finish throughout last year.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Funny, he was often dismissive of the 7th place finish throughout last year.
Yep. That's Harty for you. Sometimes I wonder if he just talks bollocks for the sake of it. Truly a man who loves the sound of his own voice. :shootself

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep. That's Harty for you. Sometimes I wonder if he just talks bollocks for the sake of it. Truly a man who loves the sound of his own voice. :shootself

Steady, you will get savaged for that.....

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
The problem this season with Harty was he sucked up to Micky Adams for too long.It became quite clear by the autumn that Micky was not up for the job but Harty kept defending him by saying it was a more difficult league and that he needed time.
I for one was not Wilkins number 1 fan and at the time welcomed the appointment of ADAMS but it soon became clear that he was not the man for the job and Harty should of acknowledged that earlier.

D

Deleted User X18H

I,like the sound of his voice it comforting in a West Sussex type way.

The Envy of Ian's social standing a local success is just too much for some of you to bear.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
oooh yeah Twisted, god forbid you have a different opinion to others and then state it on an internet forum

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like harty, and I like the phone in. Though, admittedly last year wasn't its best. It was full of people rightfully criticising the team, the manager who chose the team and the tactics he employed, and the chairmen who dumped Wilkins (albeit with the backing of the board) and brought in Adams. These criticisms were legitimate, but made for a negative show, and that was made worse by the other callers who criticised those callers for not blindly fallking in line, blaming the fans for the football, and after the odd win phoning in and asking where all the moaners are (that really bugged me, I mean when there's nothing to moan about you get fewer moaners, hardly surprising they're not ringing in after we get a win against man city).

And Harty's eternal optimism was grating at times, but I still think it was generally a good show, and he was usually a good host. I'm going to miss it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Harty is right to flag up Burnley as an example of what can be achieved, and it's good to hear he's behind the new regime and as optimistic as ever.

I take his point about Championship football being desirable for season 2010/11 but I don't think it's as simple as that. Whilst we might be OK for cash by that point the division may be back to full strength and we could struggle, partly because of Withdean.

The bookies have Barnsley, Scunthorpe and Blackpool coming down, so if it's Leeds, Norwich and us going up you'd think the 2010/11 season would be tough, with Doncaster being the only obvious jokers you'd expect to struggle. All of the other sides left, bar Peterborough, are pretty much established in that division.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Now, for all the good that Dick Knight did, in my opinion, one of his failings was that in the seasons the Albion flirted with the Championship, he was unable to back his managers with a big enough budget.

Yes it definitely was a 'failing' not having 20 million to spend to back his managers - Dick Knights greatest achievement was not gambling on big money spending and steering the club through very dangerous waters

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I liked Harty, he was a radio presenter, he was expected to talk because it. Never struck me as a bloke who loved the sound of his own voice.

scooter1

How soon is now?
As much as we all want Brighton playing Championship football, it would be nice to promoted and then straight into Falmer. The thought of being promoted too early, being un-prepared, ending up as the league whipping boys AND then moving to Falmer(possibly being relegated) doesn't appeal to me. After last seasons debacle i'll be happy with a solid top 8 place this coming season, and then we crack on from there

With regard to Harty, I think the guy is a burke. I've never met him, no interest to. His phone in was poor, and his attempts at being contraversial were equally poor - in the end the radio went off on the way home after games.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whilst we might be OK for cash by that point the division may be back to full strength and we could struggle, partly because of Withdean.

I don't think Withdean is as big an issue as some people make it out to be. It has been a fortress in the past, and that came with success on the pitch, full houses, and vocal fans.

If we have the money for decent players, we will get success on the pitch, that, together with increased quality of opponents, will bring in fans.

Maybe it won't be the fortress it once was, but I don't think it will be a notable weakness either.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
As much as we all want Brighton playing Championship football, it would be nice to promoted and then straight into Falmer. The thought of being promoted too early, being un-prepared, ending up as the league whipping boys AND then moving to Falmer(possibly being relegated) doesn't appeal to me. After last seasons debacle i'll be happy with a solid top 8 place this coming season, and then we crack on from there

With regard to Harty, I think the guy is a burke. I've never met him, no interest to. His phone in was poor, and his attempts at being contraversial were equally poor - in the end the radio went off on the way home after games.

So you think that we will be able to pick and choose which season we get promoted?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has Harty got round to admitting that Micky Adams was a f***ing disaster this time round yet?

Having called all those who could see this within a month or so, windowlickers, it'd be good to see him accept that he was wrong :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Withdean Stadium IS a factor.

The fact is once you go up into the Championship home attendances average just under 18,000, as opposed to 7,500 in League 1. Therefore, whilst our home attendances are roughly comparable to other League 1 sides they'll be in the bottom 3, if not bottom, of the Championship.

That fact, coupled with the lack of cover, means the place is not intimidating. Stoke City have shown this season how much of a difference vocal support in a largely full, covered stadium can make to results.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reading this thread and Harty's article in the Worthing Herald and the controversy surrounding DK and the recent articles about Tony Bloom it would appear that Tony Bloom had the money available to strengthen the side during our days in The Championship under both McGhee and Taylor. It must then follow that to have provided the funds he probably wanted, rather obviously, some form of control over how the money was spent so can we assume that the stumbling block was this control, that DK didnt want to relinquish until it was virtually forced upon him.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hmm.

Harty makes comments in a COLUMN and is then accused of liking the sound of his own voice.

Surely the whole point is he has been ASKED to voice his thoughts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here