Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hard disk recorders - O/T

scooter1

How soon is now?
Need a bit of advice....

I want to buy a hard disk recorder for the telly. Its got to be compatible with my Virgin set top box. I already have a freeview twin tuner 80gb PVR but it turns out this isn't compatible with Virgin, and our aeriel signal is not strong enough(with a booster) to record anything on it anymore(we've just moved to a low signal area, hence Virgin). I'd rather not get a V+ box if I can avoid it, and I really don't want a trudge back to VHS

Any suggestions on a decent box, where to get one and what it'll cost

Cheers one and all

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Why are you dead against the V+, its a great system that works faultlessly in my opinion, for £10 a month you also get the bonus of HD BBc1 and HD ondemand tv shows and movies..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've got an HDD drive, but have to admit would take a V+ box at £150. The only real advantage of a stand-alone is that what's recorded can be transferred on to DVD. The big disadvantage is that it can only record whatever the input is tuned to..... so when I'm recording off Sky, I'm restricted to only having the four analogue channels to choose from.

Still, if you're set on an HDD/DVD mine is a Panasonic DMR-E85... a few years old now, but in general that series of recorders is very well rated.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've got an HDD drive, but have to admit would take a V+ box at £150. The only real advantage of a stand-alone is that what's recorded can be transferred on to DVD. The big disadvantage is that it can only record whatever the input is tuned to..... so when I'm recording off Sky, I'm restricted to only having the four analogue channels to choose from.

Still, if you're set on an HDD/DVD mine is a Panasonic DMR-E85... a few years old now, but in general that series of recorders is very well rated.

Following on from your specific post as you are with SKY, have you considered a SKY + Box? At least then you will have the two tuners plus you can transfer any recordings you want to keep to your DVD recorder at a later date.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Following on from your specific post as you are with SKY, have you considered a SKY + Box? At least then you will have the two tuners plus you can transfer any recordings you want to keep to your DVD recorder at a later date.

Can't do it unfortunately. I'm in an apartment block which only has one feed per flat from the communal dish, and you need two inputs for Sky+ to be able to record and watch a different channel. That's what the TV guy told me anyway, but it's on the list when I move... (although I'll probably go for Virgin as I like their catch-up TV feature and the lack of Murdoch involvement!).

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Again, I would side with V+, you'll get the nice EPG integration and whatnot.

It'll certainly be much less hassle.

Or you can buy a DVD recorder for not a lot these days.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The £150 isn't for installation surely? That's to pay for what is a pretty clever bit of kit... and a good DVD recorder's going to set you back that anyway

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Is there an additional monthly fee for V+? If so I don't blame you for wanting to avoid it, however the website says the V+ box is on offer for £75 at the moment so if you can add it to your package with nothing more than the one off cost I would probably do it.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
The £150 isn't for installation surely? That's to pay for what is a pretty clever bit of kit... and a good DVD recorder's going to set you back that anyway

Its not £150, Virgin will install it for £75, though if you have all the connections in place and have a big strop on the phone to them, you'll get it for free !!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here