Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hanover day....?

Should we go to Hanover day ?

• Yes go along,Its a great day and the locals are very friendly..

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Stay away.........There be Evil in them there streets...!

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The wife and i as i have mentioned a few times are looking to move to Brighton and we (the royal we) have kinda picked the hanover area. We have looked at a few houses and recently put in an offer for one.However she has seen the posters for Hanover day and has suggested we go down and see what its like and it will give us a good idea of whats its like....! Now on paper that sounds like a good idea, However im kinda against it as i feel i would be spying and invading someones private party.Plus what if the locals chase us with pitch forks......?

So whats it like ? and should we go...!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
The wife and i as i have mentioned a few times are looking to move to Brighton and we (the royal we) have kinda picked the hanover area. We have looked at a few houses and recently put in an offer for one.However she has seen the posters for Hanover day and has suggested we go down and see what its like and it will give us a good idea of whats its like....! Now on paper that sounds like a good idea, However im kinda against it as i feel i would be spying and invading someones private party.Plus what if the locals chase us with pitch forks......?

Inclusive, Green, right-on, Guardian-reading and about 25 pubs within a 1/4 mile radius...

Grab you? ;)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hanover is fantastic if you like:

Living on top of people in rows and rows of terracing, much of which never sees the light of day.
Climbing hills whose steep gradients would scare Chris Bonnington and Pedro Delgado.
Students as neighbours on both sides.

Go for Hollingdean instead - so much more for your money - big gardens, spaciously laid out streets, plenty of lebensraum and only the occasional brick through your front room window.

:thumbsup:

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Most Hanoverians are big Hellbilly fans and like nothing more than for it to be played at 120dB at 3am.

GFI

Come along on Sunday, I'll be there, Hanover Day is a good day and I think you will like it.

I have lived in Hanover since 1981 and it has seen a fair few changes with hardly any of the original Hanover born and bred residents living there now. They have been replaced by students and younger families some of which could be described as yuppies!
It has it's bad points like litter and lack of parking, but even though it has changed quite a bit I still love it here as it has a good community spirit.
PM me if you want to meet up.
In what street have you made the offer for the house in?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And just hope and pray you never need an ambulance or fire engine if you end up in the middle of one of the side roads. Not a chance of getting through.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Most Hanoverians are big Hellbilly fans and like nothing more than for it to be played at 120dB at 3am.

GFI

Yeah kinda looked like they could appreciate i little country hell round there :p

seems nice enough,and ive grown outta Camden now......

ps what does GFI mean ? i found these

Ground Fault Interrupter Computing » Hardware

GFI Government Furnished Information Governmental » Military

GFI General Format Identifier Computing » Telecom

GFI Ground Fault Interruption Computing » Hardware

GFI Ground Fault Interrupt Academic & Science » Electronics

GFI Go For It Community » Sports

GFI Genigraphics Graphics Link presentation Computing » File Extensions

GFI Government Final Inspection Governmental » US Government

GFI Government Final Inspection Governmental » Military

GFI Gas Field Ionization Academic & Science » Chemistry

GFI Gorilla Fund International Community » Non-Profit Organizations

GFI Gene Fields Instruments Business » Firms

GFI Great Fish Isle Business » Firms

GFI Great Foolish Invention Business » General

GFI George Forest Industries Business » Firms

GFI Global Financial International Business » Firms

GFI Girls Foundation of Independence

Or ?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hanover is fantastic if you like:

Living on top of people in rows and rows of terracing, much of which never sees the light of day.
Climbing hills whose steep gradients would scare Chris Bonnington and Pedro Delgado.
Students as neighbours on both sides.

Go for Hollingdean instead - so much more for your money - big gardens, spaciously laid out streets, plenty of lebensraum and only the occasional brick through your front room window.

:thumbsup:

That's absolute RUBBISH. We only have students on one side :thumbsup:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
It's true that parking is a bastard at times but that's true of a lot of Brighton.
If you do come (and I recommend you do) and you're driving then approach via Elm Grove, Queens Park Road or Albion Hill because Southover Street will be blocked.
Fingers crossed for weather. Local bands very busy pubs but a good excuse to visit.
If you don't like it then you can just pop down to the seafront.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's absolute RUBBISH. We only have students on one side :thumbsup:

When we lived there, we had lesbians both sides - and neither of them were students.

Hanover day is great and we may well pay a visit this year to remind ourselves of what we're missing.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
When we lived there, we had lesbians both sides - and neither of them were students.

Hanover day is great and we may well pay a visit this year to remind ourselves of what we're missing.

I've never had lesbians on both sides. It's one of my biggest regrets :(

Might see you there!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not quite Hanover for me. Still on the hill though just (and only just) the wrong side of Elm Grove. Hanover Day is brillo. and Hanover is kinda special. You either love it on the Muesli Mountain or hate it. We've got Patchfest next weekend at the end of my road at the William Clark patch too.

Got a couple of Jewish hippies over the road who changed their names to something celtic and Cornish, students on one side of me and schoolteachers on the other. Lovely lady up the end of the road who has lived here for 50 or 60 years, an old boy at the other end who's lived here about the same. An old dear died a year or two ago who lived here all her life. We've got a real typical mix AND there's a brilliant video in Brighton Museum of a Silver Jubilee street party in my street.

Pubs near me are a bit hit and miss. The Franklin is a hole to be avoided but in 5 minutes I can be in the Hartington, Bugle, Park Crescent, Dover Castle, London Unity, Reservoir and my fave...the Constant Service.

If I were moving to Hanover I'd avoid the bottom end near the University residences in Southover Street especially since the smoking ban forces the students outside. Otherwise, as long as you're tolerant and laid back Hanover's lovely.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Pubs near me are a bit hit and miss. The Franklin is a hole to be avoided but in 5 minutes I can be in the Hartington, Bugle, Park Crescent, Dover Castle, London Unity, Reservoir and my fave...the Constant Service.

But you could be in Hollingdean :laugh:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Only the bottom end in 5 mins. How fast do you think I can walk, man?

Davey Drive is about as far as I've ever ventured into Hollingdean and the pubs round there look a bit minging.

Buzzer, i was referring to Cheeky Monkey's post.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Come along on Sunday, I'll be there, Hanover Day is a good day and I think you will like it.

I have lived in Hanover since 1981 and it has seen a fair few changes with hardly any of the original Hanover born and bred residents living there now. They have been replaced by students and younger families some of which could be described as yuppies!
It has it's bad points like litter and lack of parking, but even though it has changed quite a bit I still love it here as it has a good community spirit.
PM me if you want to meet up.
In what street have you made the offer for the house in?

Ewart street i think or theres one on southamtpton st we like, but there looks like students one side with crap curtains covering the windows !!

I will be the only bald psychobilly there, with a pregnant women moaning about the hill and heat !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here