Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond Apologises Lets all move on

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't really see that it changes anything. As much as I'd love to boo him every time he touches the ball, the reality is that will never happen to start with. People can say stuff on here, but when it comes to a match nowhere near enough people to be heard would ever make make their feelings known. HOWEVER, I guarantee that he will get a fraction of the tolerance and leeway that other players get. If he's playing badly, looking like he doesn't care or just plain shit, people will be on his back much quicker than they would with anyone else. And rightly so.

as the majority wont have been at ''the match'' and in my opinion the majority of those that were would have got over it ..i think it will be a small insignificant minority who will get on his back...still some people need a scapegoat to fill there lives so i guess he might take over from harley barnes et al....

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The thing with booing is that it only takes 1 in 50 or 100 people to boo and it will be heard. Hopefully everyone will clap him, or if not, remain quiet. Now he's apologised - I forgive him - there is no need to boo him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
as the majority wont have been at ''the match'' and in my opinion the majority of those that were would have got over it ..i think it will be a small insignificant minority who will get on his back...still some people need a scapegoat to fill there lives so i guess he might take over from harley barnes et al....

Hammond WILL get a hard time, if his performances are anything less than top drawer. This is NOT just down to that Saints game though. This was ever the case with Hammond, in his first spell. He always divided opinion. Some felt he was central to what we did (we certainly missed him for two years after he left) and others felt he plodded around the midfield contributing little - 'went missing' was something you'd hear or read pretty regularly.

I'd equate his relationship with the Withdean crowd, very closely to the current (ridiculous) situation with Barnes.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't think he got a mention on NSP, too busy discussing training shoes on the one thread a day.

Oooooooh get her :catfight:

I was there that day and don't remember him getting abuse prior to the celebration. Consequently, i LOVED booing him last season at the Amex and my first reaction on the signing was 'shit, not Hammond'

BUT in the cold light of day, and following his argus apology - welcome home Dean :kiss:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It was required for no other reason than to quieten the people who have been on here, promising to 'boo him' (how feeble that sounds). At the time I was as pissed off as most people in the South Stand and have enjoyed the pantomime villain moments when he has played against us but he's back as an Albion player now. Let's give him and the rest of the squad 100% support this season-it could be one of the best ever for Albion supporters. We've seen how The Amex noise can influence players-last season against Southampton is a perfect example. Let's save the hostilities for opposition players.

Top post...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its pretty much like treating an ex gf like shit and making her look like a dick once you've dumped her, a couple of years later you're a little bored and see that the ex has scrubbed up quite well, pull out the charm offensive as you've fallen out with the current mrs just so you can sling one up the ex again.

basically Hammond is f***ing us.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hammond WILL get a hard time, if his performances are anything less than top drawer. This is NOT just down to that Saints game though. This was ever the case with Hammond, in his first spell. He always divided opinion. Some felt he was central to what we did (we certainly missed him for two years after he left) and others felt he plodded around the midfield contributing little - 'went missing' was something you'd hear or read pretty regularly.

I'd equate his relationship with the Withdean crowd, very closely to the current (ridiculous) situation with Barnes.

dont u still think its only a minority who get on barnes's back? albeit a vociferous one

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hammond was always far more divisive than Barnes is, IMO. In fact, I'm certain Ash Barnes is FAR more popular with our fans than this board would suggest. I can't remember hearing anyone boo him, and even groans are few and far between.

Mind you, I sit in the family stand where all the intelligent people sit. :thumbsup:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
dejavuatbtn; said:
I still haven't forgiven Nathan Jones for his demonstration after Yeovil came to Withdean and beat us.

What about his quote in our programme 'I'm happy here until a bigger club comes in for me'......he's still waiting

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Having not been there I had a look at the highlights of that game on Seagulls Player yesterday. He doesn't 'run the length of the touchline cupping his ear' he runs straight to the south-east corner flag and then it goes off camera. So whatever abuse he gave was just to a small section of the crowd, presumably that which had been booing him?

anyway I welcome him back, adds a certain spice to the season.

D

Deleted member 18477

Ohh I cannot wait for Harding to be ripped apart again right in front of us! Haha subbed or red carded. If the manager has ANY sense, Harding won't even be in the squad when forest come to town!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Hammond saying 'I didn't mean to offend anyone' is weak, patronising and untrue. He ran 100 yards up the pitch for 20 seconds trying to, and succeeding, to offend every Albion fan in the ground. He knew exactly what he was doing then & to try & deny it now is risible & contemptuous

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've got no axe to grate with Hammond, but can you elaborate on the specific time period after which it is "time to move on"?

Our run-ins with Archer, Bellotti, Stanley, Barry Hearn, Carl Griffiths and Scott McGleish were all more than 4 or 5 years ago. Should we forget those too?

I think it is an issue of proportionality.

Archer and Bellotti tried to destroy the club, Hammond gave a wanker sign to some fans in the heat of the moment. Football is an emotive game, not just from us fans (if you don't lose it at a match then why go after all?), otherwise why do we go?

He has had some stick from some fans (me included) over the nature of his departure to Colchester, so there is some case (in his eyes at the time) for a reaction.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hammond saying 'I didn't mean to offend anyone' is weak, patronising and untrue. He ran 100 yards up the pitch for 20 seconds trying to, and succeeding, to offend every Albion fan in the ground. He knew exactly what he was doing then & to try & deny it now is risible & contemptuous
I agree, but nevertheless he has apologised and recognised he shouldn't have done it. And ultimately, it really didn't mean an awful lot in the first place. Holding a grudge over such an incident is all a bit SAD isn't it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
dont u still think its only a minority who get on barnes's back? albeit a vociferous one

Yes. As was the case with Hammond.

Hammond was always far more divisive than Barnes is, IMO. In fact, I'm certain Ash Barnes is FAR more popular with our fans than this board would suggest. I can't remember hearing anyone boo him, and even groans are few and far between.

Mind you, I sit in the family stand where all the intelligent people sit. :thumbsup:

He is more popular than this board would suggest, agreed. There is a fairly vocal minority all around the ground though, that cut him NO slack whatsoever, and are wantonly critical of every little thing he does. Excatly like Hammond at Withdean.

He ran 100 yards up the pitch for 20 seconds

From my own recollection of the game, this is simply untrue. You are suggesting he did something like Adebayour at Man City? The reality (as I recall) was that he scored a header at the East end, continued running in the direction he was facing, which took him to the East end of the South Stand, where he proceeded to shout 'f*** Off' and make a completely unecessary gesture at the crowd. He then jogged back to the halfway line with his team-mates. What he did was stupid and uncalled for, but people really are trying to make out it was a lot more extreme than it actually was.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If he has apologised (yes I know he probably doesn't mean it), then I'll forgive and move on. He didn't have to apologise but I'm sure the club have made him do it. No matter, he has officially come out and said sorry. I was fully against this signing but, now the apology has come its time to move on.

Alot that said they hated the signing have said they wanted an apology first, now you've got it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From my own recollection of the game, this is simply untrue. You are suggesting he did something like Adebayour at Man City? The reality (as I recall) was that he scored a header at the East end, continued running in the direction he was facing, which took him to the East end of the South Stand, where he proceeded to shout 'f*** Off' and make a completely unecessary gesture at the crowd. He then jogged back to the halfway line with his team-mates. What he did was stupid and uncalled for, but people really are trying to make out it was a lot more extreme than it actually was.

Sorry mate, I was there and I DISTINCTLY remember him doing at least 3 laps of the running track, early on in the first lap he unfurled a banner that stated "BRIGHTON ARE SHIT AND I FOR ONE WOULD NEVER PLAY FOR THEM".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here