Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond Apologises Lets all move on

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I posted in Argus:

"Very impressed that Dean has now apologised; it takes a big man to do that. For me personally, it wasn't required, but I know a minority of fans wanted an apology, so now they've got one.

Welcome back to the mighty Albion, Dean. Looking forward to seeing you play soon. You have my full support."

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Let's get over it and move on. As a club we are on the verge of something special and everyone needs everyone's full support and backing.

No more negative vibes just positives and looking to the future.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

For those too LAZY to click on the link:

Dean Hammond has apologised for the goal celebration which has overshadowed his return to Albion – but insists he is a changed man.

Hammond left the Seagulls for Colchester in controversial circumstances at the end of the January 2008 transfer window.

He subsequently joined Southampton and angered Albion fans at Withdean by running along the touchline cupping his hand to his ear after scoring for Saints in a 2-2 draw on April Fool’s Day 2010.

Hammond, re-signed on a year’s loan, told The Argus: “It was 100% heat of the moment. Obviously, looking back on it I wish I hadn’t done it. I never meant to offend anyone.

“Things went on at the club that people don’t know about and I left on a difficult note really. We had just won at Wembley a few days before and I was on a bit of a high as well.

“I regret it now. I didn’t mean to do it and I could never envisage myself doing anything like that again.”

Some fans have reacted negatively to Hammond’s return on internet message boards and vowed to give him a hard time.

“I kind of expect it, because what I did was wrong,” he said. “It’s up to me to prove them wrong. I’ve got to work hard to get into the team but when I do and start playing it’s up to me to prove them wrong and hopefully they will back me.

“But I have no problem with them being like that. That’s their opinion and they are allowed to feel like that and I understand if they feel like that.”

Hammond could make his second debut for Albion in place of the injured Andrew Crofts against Sheffield Wednesday at The Amex on Friday week.

The former captain from Hastings was 24, single and childless when he left the club but is now a 29-year-old married father-of-two.

He said: “My life has changed massively. I’m married now and have got two children. That changes you. I have grown up a lot. I feel as though I am a different player and a different player to what I was when I left.

“I’m just really happy to be back. I always wanted to come back, especially the way the club is now.”

Seriously - if that isn't enough for anyone, then they are the ones with an issue, not Hammond.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've got no axe to grate with Hammond, but can you elaborate on the specific time period after which it is "time to move on"?

Our run-ins with Archer, Bellotti, Stanley, Barry Hearn, Carl Griffiths and Scott McGleish were all more than 4 or 5 years ago. Should we forget those too?

interesting point

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Fair play to the bandy-legged tosser.

I take great pleasure in accepting his timely apology (honest). :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't know where you were sitting...he got loads of booing just when his name was announced let alone whenever he touched the ball....some Albion fans are not lily-white in this....give abuse...expect a reaction...it's past history now...move on,he's playing for us and will get full support

Exactly. I know it was sometimes hard in the south stand at Withdean to judge what sort of noise was coming from a few rows away - but I was in the north stand that evening and I remember being surprised by the amount of abuse he got from the off.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The line "I never meant to offend anyone" in the context of that article shows just how sincere this 'apology' is.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that things went on behind the scenes that the fans didn't know about, I'm not quite sure how that means an incendiary celebration in front of them is somehow justified.

Hammond is still sucking up after he realises he MASSIVELY bit the hand that feeds him, i'm still not a fan. But I'm glad that people who are enamoured with puff pieces like this are satisfied!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cheers. All's forgiven as far as I'm concerned.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Exactly. I know it was sometimes hard in the south stand at Withdean to judge what sort of noise was coming from a few rows away - but I was in the north stand that evening and I remember being surprised by the amount of abuse he got from the off.

The South Stand acoustics were such that anyone who says "the South Stand didn't boo" are talking about the people around them and behind them in their block.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
HOWEVER, I guarantee that he will get a fraction of the tolerance and leeway that other players get. If he's playing badly, looking like he doesn't care or just plain shit, people will be on his back much quicker than they would with anyone else.

This part is true, for sure. Any percieved lack of effort, in particular, and the reaction will make Ryan Harley look a huge fans' favourite in comparison.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've got no axe to grate with Hammond, but can you elaborate on the specific time period after which it is "time to move on"?

Our run-ins with Archer, Bellotti, Stanley, Barry Hearn, Carl Griffiths and Scott McGleish were all more than 4 or 5 years ago. Should we forget those too?

I'd say the struggle against Archer and Bellotti was a bit more than a "run-in." Carl Griffiths and Scott McGleish? In the words of Father Ted in his Golden Cleric acceptance speech, Where are they now? It's all a question of perspective ...

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Exactly the same. In the grand scheme of all the things that have happened to this club, is it really worth getting all worked up about a bloody goal celebration?

IMO what Mcgleish did at the time made it worse - any player knew what position we were in, so yes it was worth getting worked up about!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
As I posted in Argus:

"Very impressed that Dean has now apologised; it takes a big man to do that. For me personally, it wasn't required, but I know a minority of fans wanted an apology, so now they've got one.

Welcome back to the mighty Albion, Dean. Looking forward to seeing you play soon. You have my full support."

It was required for no other reason than to quieten the people who have been on here, promising to 'boo him' (how feeble that sounds). At the time I was as pissed off as most people in the South Stand and have enjoyed the pantomime villain moments when he has played against us but he's back as an Albion player now. Let's give him and the rest of the squad 100% support this season-it could be one of the best ever for Albion supporters. We've seen how The Amex noise can influence players-last season against Southampton is a perfect example. Let's save the hostilities for opposition players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here