Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half time guest at Liverpool game

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jimmy Case.

It was a shame the way it turned out for him as a manager, taking on an impossible job in the mid nineties but he gave it his best shot. Not enough of the senior players 'played' for him. I remember Mark Lawrenson saying the pitch invasion was all wrong.
You see I don't agree with this. Under his management, our players were not even fit, struggled and went out of the cup to teams waaaay down the non league pyramid and were hopelessly adrift before Gritt arrived.

Give it his best shot? He did nothing of the sort. Allowing your squad to be so unfit is unforgiveable.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I can't see why Albion fans are so anti-Lawrenson, even going to the extent of making up stuff he has said. There is no evidence he said we should get thrown out of the league, no evidence of him pretending he never played for us or bad-mouthing us. When he has spoken of his time at the Albion, from the Soccer in the 70s clip, to his autobiography, to being interviewed for 'A Few Good Men' to what he said on the recent Football Focus, he has been complimentary. And to cap it all, he is arguably the finest player to play for the club, and helped us to some of the greatest moments in the club's history.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You see I don't agree with this. Under his management, our players were not even fit, struggled and went out of the cup to teams waaaay down the non league pyramid and were hopelessly adrift before Gritt arrived.

Give it his best shot? He did nothing of the sort. Allowing your squad to be so unfit is unforgiveable.

But he DID pay Mayos wages out of his own pocket. :clap:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Jimmy Case for me (although no anti-Lawrenson sentiment here) as he was a favourite of mine. actually, Case signing for us was the closest thing i can remember to a Vincente-type signing. i remember wondering why the hell he'd joined us and assumed that he was past it, riddled with injuries and would barely play a game for us. turned out OK though and i seem to remember him scoring a few stunning and important goals for us. ;)

Last edited:

Pumba04

Jan 27, 2011
Burgess Hill
Case for me...

and then perhaps get Tarby doing a celebrity "winner takes all" special in Dicks bar after the match... (only readers of a certain age will get that)

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Im sure Goldstone Rapper posted an interview clip of Lawro, Mullery and one other I think with Gary Linekar interviewing. May have been Case. Lawro talks fondly of his time at Brighton. He has said it always was one of the best times of his career.

Im sure after York City everyone as spitting feathers because they didnt know the true story.

By the way what do we think of Dean Saunders? I remember him being asked on the BBC about us and he said "Brighton? I thought they had gone bust" this was circa '96 there was a big feature in the Argus at the time after he said it.

Now that I do remember, DES asked about Brighton, and he said are they still around, I though they went bust, ha ha ha...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Now that I do remember, DES asked about Brighton, and he said are they still around, I though they went bust, ha ha ha...

Dean Saunders also refused to co-operate with Spencer Vignes' book 'A Few Good Men' once he found out he didn't make the starting eleven. He's certainly an ex-Albion star that holds something against the club. Lawrenson is not of that number.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My mate Terry the scouse plasterer. He'll keep you amused.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Case or Robinson for me, played for both clubs with distinction, certainly worthy of walking out onto the pitch at the AMEX in the role of legend.

GullysGuy

Apr 19, 2011
Saw Lawro on celebrity egg heads last week. Up popped a question about brighton...I think it was 'what seaside town contains the areas Brunswick and Kemp Town'. On getting the the question right the presenter asked Lawro if he had visited Brighton before. Then to my complete surprise he said the words 'I used to blimin play for them!' :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here