Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half time guest at Liverpool game

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Where has this myth about Lawrenson disowning Brighton come from. I've heard him many times mention his time here and speak fondly of the team then. He has also admitted supporting Preston (which is fair enough, they're his home team) but that's not the same as being anti-Brighton.

I respect him for supporting Preston as it's his home town club and quite like him as a pundit, but I have heard him make more than one negative comment about Brighton supporters over the years. Don't expect me to give exact examples as it was many, many years ago....but I haven't forgotten.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Lawrenson alienated himself from us when he declared on tv that after the pitch invasion at the Goldstone against York City, we should be kicked out of the league.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Case and Robinson,....

Robinson would look good to link to Vincente who probably doesn't realise he played for Brighton back in the day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lawrenson alienated himself from us when he declared on tv that after the pitch invasion at the Goldstone against York City, we should be kicked out of the league.
That's the first I've heard of that. Are you absolutely sure?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I once chatted to Alan Mullery (time well spent, I recommend it) and he was saying that even when Lawro was winning major trophies with Liverpool, he told him the spirit still wasn't quite the same as it was at Brighton.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
In fairness to Lawro he was very disappointed when he left us as he didnt want to go to Liverpool he had set his heart on Man Utd but Mike Bamber thought otherwise.

He had a pub near Moreton in The Marsh and had a variety of his football shirts on display from Liverpool mainly, Eire, Preston and Brighton so he is not anti Brighton.

Think he supported Man Utd as a child.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Lawrenson, IMO, was the most accomplished player I ever saw in a Brighton Shirt (other than Le Tissier). For all those unfortunate enough never to have seen him play for us, he was just superb at taking the ball forward from the back four, running, Bambi-like, forwards across the half way line and delivering stunning passes around the pitch. A different style to what we have nowadays, but more than effective. A great, and I would put him in the Legend class.
I don't know how we managed to get him from Preston - I heard that the deal was effectively done by Peter Taylor before Mullery took over and got the credit for him signing. He was wanted by more glamorous clubs at the time and came here. I ain't going to hold that against him.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If Lawro did ever blank us, he has stopped doing so now. Interview in front of his Legend's poster on Football Focus at the Donny game, various mentions on 5Live and was on Radio Sussex after the Boro game to talk about the Liverpool draw.

He will surely be at the Amex to summarise our game for Radio 5 that night anyway, so I fully expect it to be he who is interviewed at half time.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
That's the first I've heard of that. Are you absolutely sure?

Don't think I was hearing things. I remember watching it at the time and I was quite shocked by what he was saying.
Since then I have disliked him so much. I could not believe what he had to say about a club he used to play for.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Jimmy Case.

It was a shame the way it turned out for him as a manager, taking on an impossible job in the mid nineties but he gave it his best shot. Not enough of the senior players 'played' for him. I remember Mark Lawrenson saying the pitch invasion was all wrong.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think Lawro gets a rough press on here about supposedly denying his Brighton days. I don't think he does anything of the kind. What do people want him to do, mentiomn Brighton on every other MOTD? I don't ever hear him talk about Preston, or playing for Eire ... in fact, for all the success at Anfield, I don't hear him dropping it into the analysis very often either.

He's not there to talk about "the old days" all the time, and would get slated if he did so, he's there to analyse the game in front of him.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im sure Goldstone Rapper posted an interview clip of Lawro, Mullery and one other I think with Gary Linekar interviewing. May have been Case. Lawro talks fondly of his time at Brighton. He has said it always was one of the best times of his career.

Im sure after York City everyone as spitting feathers because they didnt know the true story.

By the way what do we think of Dean Saunders? I remember him being asked on the BBC about us and he said "Brighton? I thought they had gone bust" this was circa '96 there was a big feature in the Argus at the time after he said it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I heard that the deal was effectively done by Peter Taylor before Mullery took over and got the credit for him signing. He was wanted by more glamorous clubs at the time and came here. I ain't going to hold that against him.

That's not true. That's generally put about by people who wish to unfairly do down Mullery's accomplishments (Peter Taylor left in summer 1976, Lawrenson signed in summer 1977). The other story that is peddled is that it was the players who suggested to Mullery that he sign Lawrenson, so Mullery shouldn't get the credit. It's weird that Albion fans should harbour resentment against the first manager to lead us to the top flight. Lawrenson was an outstanding bit of transfer business by Mullery.

Im sure Goldstone Rapper posted an interview clip of Lawro, Mullery and one other I think with Gary Linekar interviewing. May have been Case. Lawro talks fondly of his time at Brighton. He has said it always was one of the best times of his career.

Im sure after York City everyone as spitting feathers because they didnt know the true story.

By the way what do we think of Dean Saunders? I remember him being asked on the BBC about us and he said "Brighton? I thought they had gone bust" this was circa '96 there was a big feature in the Argus at the time after he said it.

Yes, here it is...

[yt]KxHR7VQFppA[/yt]

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Personally, I'd like to see Chris Rodon as the half-time guest. This man once had a trial at Liverpool in the 1980s and then came on for fifteen minutes as a sub for Brighton against Norwich in May 1983. :bowdown:

Attachments

• rodon.jpg
    rodon.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 119

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here