Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet's Tactics

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought watching on sky that we would hold on for the winner and couldnt for the life of me understand why Ankergren punted it forward. The obvious was a short pass and eithera player take it into the corner or put it out for a thrown in near the corner flag the last place you want the ball is in their keepers hands. Evena goal kick would have been better with time running out.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I thought watching on sky that we would hold on for the winner and couldnt for the life of me understand why Ankergren punted it forward. The obvious was a short pass and eithera player take it into the corner or put it out for a thrown in near the corner flag the last place you want the ball is in their keepers hands. Evena goal kick would have been better with time running out.

Along with Gus replacing CMS in the dying minutes that stupid kick cost us 2 points, i hope the 2 decisions do not cost us the premiership next season.
Before you all rip me to pieces, the man who never made a mistake, never made anything, Gus is human he does and will make mistakes.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Ankers had been booked a few minutes earlier for time wasting ...which may have influenced his decision ...also, if u watched the match u will c that Greer (standing close by ) encourages him to punt the ball upfield...upon reflection i am sure he would have not kicked it str8 to there goalie but to the side in there half ...even if it went out for a throw in...this wud had made more sense...as there wer only a couple of Brighton players upfield..one of which was Barnes...who was limping

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Along with Gus replacing CMS in the dying minutes that stupid kick cost us 2 points, i hope the 2 decisions do not cost us the premiership next season.
Before you all rip me to pieces, the man who never made a mistake, never made anything, Gus is human he does and will make mistakes.:thumbsup:

I can't c taking CMS off was a mistake at all...how can u say that substituting a player that close to the end of match was a mistake...thts all if buts and maybes at the very best

oxymoron

NSC Patron
Feb 25, 2011
Well done lads, after weeks of sifting through dross a well constructed thoughtfull discussion..........brings back my faith in NSC

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tempo is speed of thought and action. Pure and simple. The higher tempo a team plays the quicker they play- the more aggressive they are with their pressing, the faster their movements off the ball, the quicker their reaction time, the quicker they make decisions. ETC.
You impose your tempo on another team rather than it being a case of either have or not having control of the tempo.

I will have to wait until morning to get over the disappointment, but I think that the loss of tempi might be the reason for our defeat.

It was not the formations. Palace gained the initiative and we could not wrest it from them. I think I saw it coming.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pirate in the Middle ?

Still seems so bad in the morning. Something missing from the side. I am inclined to think the answer is is the tempi. Lost the tempi (the ball) in midfield and we lose.

I am in favour of perservering with the 4-3-3 and having a box-to-box diagonal midfielder for the home matches.

Question: who is our best box to box midfielder? Captain Sparrow ?

However, for the average away matches (e.g. Ipswich) it is very tempting to string four across the middle, two banks of four in the 4-4-2.

For the tricky away matches, even leave one up front and play 4-5-1 (like Sunderland) knowing that Buckley can join the attack/right wing from midfield.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think the midfielders made themselves available when the back four had the ball. Also the impact sub (Lualua) didn't have the desired impact.

I suspect Barnes was playing in a withdrawn role/right wing (couldn't be sure which exactly to be honest) under orders as opposed to just because he felt like it.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think the midfielders made themselves available when the back four had the ball. Also the impact sub (Lualua) didn't have the desired impact.

I suspect Barnes was playing in a withdrawn role/right wing (couldn't be sure which exactly to be honest) under orders as opposed to just because he felt like it.

That makes sense when we are not in possession one of our front two might have drop back to compete in midfield so we have four versus four, and our left wingers (all three of them) are not very good at competing for the ball.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Watching Valencia v Chelsea. It does seem that the full backs are always being beaten. Sometimes there is a covering defender. Lampard has just scored for Chelsea as a result of a right wing cross.

Mata now cuts inside from the left. I wonder if Vincete can do that? or Lua lua?

I think Valencia will get an equaliser.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Every home game this season has followed a similar pattern. Brighton build-up play is always slow and measured. The ball is stroked from side to side as the players look for the opportunity to make the decisive pass forward. This is always difficult as the midfield is always packed denying Brighton’s forwards the space they need. At the same time they have been coached not to give the ball way. This results in a tendency to avoid making a longer, more difficult pass. Their task is made more difficult by their forwards closing them down very quickly.

Spain were particularly adept at the long pass at times. Usually out wide to the left wing, sometimes from the right side of midfield. This sort of move confounds the English tactics as the opposition defence will move over towards the right (their left) when the Albion/Spain are playing out of defence on the right side. Whether we have a player capable of some a long accurate pass is debatable. Probably it will go awry and we lose possession. Vicente is who I want on our left side.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good bounce, I missed this thread 1st time around. The OP anaylsed the Leeds game very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here