Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet's contract.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Do you think he has shown enough that the club should now being extending his contract into our first season at Falmer?

For me personally I think we should. But I know a few on here argued how poor his contacts were :shootself earlier in the season and he was making crazy decision to send certain players out on loan and not playing "seasoned pros".

For me Gus is the new Meshiah and I couldn't care less if has been a very naughty boy!

What does everyone else think at this point in time?

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Do you think he has shown enough that the club should now being extending his contract into our first season at Falmer?

For me personally I think he should. But I know a few on here argued how poor his contacts were :shootself earlier in the season and he was making crazy decision to send certain players out on loan and not playing "seasoned pros".

For me Gus is the new Meshiah and I couldn't care less if has been a very naughty boy!

The thing is the same was said about SLade last season. I do tend to agree that he deserves it but you can understand the hesitancy of the board.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

For me personally I think we should. But I know a few on here argued how poor his contacts were :shootself earlier in the season and he was making crazy decision to send certain players out on loan and not playing "seasoned pros".

Purely on the subject of contacts, Gus could have the best contacts in the world but if players are too expensive and/or don't want to come here the quality of those contacts become irrelevant.

I'd say he's done very well!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't reward non achievement, to be honest, no matter how well things appear. Wait until we are mathematically safe, at the very least.

Then again, if Bloom feels Gus is about to be poached, he'll want to offer extended terms to protect us.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
The thing is the same was said about SLade last season. I do tend to agree that he deserves it but you can understand the hesitancy of the board.

Yes, totally. We have seen early signs from Adams (were top of the league after a couple of games). Slade also saved us, then couldn't continue his success. So yes totally agree, but personally I like his management style and the way we are beginning to play. Which is better than the previous two managers (at the moment).

Maybe the board will make a descision in the summer, when we will know we are definately safe from relegation.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I wouldn't reward non achievement, to be honest, no matter how well things appear. Wait until we are mathematically safe, at the very least.

Then again, if Bloom feels Gus is about to be poached, he'll want to offer extended terms to protect us.

That is my main concern, I can see someone coming in for Gus in the summer.

Along with Bennett and Calderon!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has always said that his contract finishes a month before Falmer but wants to be here with Falmer so I would say extend his contract by a year to give that extra stability.

Teddy Maybank

Feb 23, 2009
We should wait until we are mathamatically safe. Then offer Gus a new contract. With Gus contracted for Falmer, we should be in with a better shout at securing the likes of Inigo etc, and moving forward on team building for the next campaign.
Lets beat Tranmere on Saturday (who will put everyone behind the ball). With a 2nd home victory on the bounce and results elsewhere going our way, we might take a giant step forward this weekend.
COME ON THE ALBION!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think he should be given a new contract now. The results and style of play speak for themselves and I can only see him leaving through being tempted by a bigger club (not sacked). The longer the contract the better.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think he should be given a new contract now. The results and style of play speak for themselves and I can only see him leaving through being tempted by a bigger club (not sacked). The longer the contract the better.

100% agree. I've seen enough to be convinced we should either have Gus for the long haul or be suitably compensated should he leave whilst under contract.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed with almost all of the above. Wait until end of this season then offer him a one year extension to take Gus into Falmer with us.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I completely understand that arguments against a new contract in light of the Adams/ Slade situation and it all going tits up, especially with Slade, as soon as they were given money and stability.

To be honest though I think that with Gus we are on a whole new level. There is not doubt from what I have seen that he has the potential to take us into the Championship and keep us there with the aid of a new stadium and competitive funds, because:

a) He has got the team playing the best football we have seen in several years.
b) He doesn't take any crap, including bad attitudes, from the players and they all know where they stand.
c) His signings have been astronomically better, in the main, than those of Slade and Adams.
d) He's a top bloke!

Sign him up!

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Yep one year extension once we are safe (I would not be surprised if this was already in TB's mind anyway).

With regards to Gus leaving fora better club at the end of the season or next season I really feel this won't happen. Unless it is a Premiership team I think Gus is the kind of guy/manager that want's to stick to a job and progress. I may be wrong but I think he will be with us for a while yet even if a Championship club came in for him.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Sign him up

I think he feels he would want to carry on seeing the team evolve into a great team. He has started so he will want to finish. Promotion is his goal. He will see us through. I only hope tarrico also stays but fear he will not.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I agree with you on that one.
I think that Gus looks at this job as a personnal challenge and i think that he really is enjoying himself.

We can all feel the buzz :bhasign:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I only hope tarrico also stays but fear he will not.

Are you referring to his interview on Seagulls Player? If so I also found that a bit strange. He did everything apart from say he hadn't settled here and wasn't enjoying it too much.

I really hope he stays too, him and Gus seem to work well as a team.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We can give him a longer contract............or not.

But ,contract or not,if a "bigger" offer comes along,such a contract may not be worth the paper it's written on.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No point in doing it now, might as well do it at the end of the season there is only 6 weeks or so to go.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We can give him a longer contract............or not.

But ,contract or not,if a "bigger" offer comes along,such a contract may not be worth the paper it's written on.

Oh yes it will be. We got good money in compo from Leicester when Adams left (first time) and Reading when Coppell left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here