Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Okay, now I know we are all in high spirits beating the Sailor Boys, but is Gus Poyet the best manager Brighton has ever had? I know it is early days, but I am going to stick my neck out and say he is. Not just on the player side, but his charisma.

I love you Gus! :drink:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Gus Poyet in my opinion is fast becoming an Albion Legend if not already!

We are VERY lucky to have Gus and Tanno and I hope they both stay as long as poss!!

Feb 14, 2010
Put it this way, if we had 92 managers running the league clubs of england all like Poyet with his vision that you win a game by starving the other side of the ball, then Englad might be able to give Spain a game. Instead we have pundits like Andy Gray ho thinks Messi cant play in outr game and Heskey os "big and powerful". Sad really

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not yet - he needs to win something (or get promoted). Alan Mullary (first period) still holds the crown - although he rather crapped on it in his second term (a bit like Mr Adams).

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Put it this way, if we had 92 managers running the league clubs of england all like Poyet with his vision that you win a game by starving the other side of the ball, then Englad might be able to give Spain a game. Instead we have pundits like Andy Gray ho thinks Messi cant play in outr game and Heskey os "big and powerful". Sad really

A long way to go for that, I'm afraid. One only needed to watch Barcelona at Deportivo La Coruna tonight to see that. But if we had the likes of Gus in charge of the big clubs, we would certainly make progress. If Wenger would pick a few more English players and coach them to the top level it would help. Sadly, I suspect Gus will reach his peak in Spain, possibly somewhere like Valencia, though I could see him managing one of the big two. What would Andy Gray make of our style of playing?

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Not yet - he needs to win something (or get promoted). Alan Mullary (first period) still holds the crown - although he rather crapped on it in his second term (a bit like Mr Adams).

There is something, and a very big something about Our Gus. Mentioned earlier but Portsmouth fans were actually applauding the way we strung our passes together. They appreciated our showing and fair play to them

Feb 14, 2010
A long way to go for that, I'm afraid. One only needed to watch Barcelona at Deportivo La Coruna tonight to see that. But if we had the likes of Gus in charge of the big clubs, we would certainly make progress. If Wenger would pick a few more English players and coach them to the top level it would help. Sadly, I suspect Gus will reach his peak in Spain, possibly somewhere like Valencia, though I could see him managing one of the big two. What would Andy Gray make of our style of playing?

Sadly Andy Gray would say we "need an outlet" and go on about "having the coaching badges" without understanding that thick people with a badge are still thick and coaches that think you need an outlet just shouldnt be allowed near a dugout

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sadly Andy Gray would say we "need an outlet" and go on about "having the coaching badges" without understanding that thick people with a badge are still thick and coaches that think you need an outlet just shouldnt be allowed near a dugout

I wonder if Cloughie, Paisley, Busby, Shankly, et al ever had coaching badges?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Who cares what Andy (thicky) Gray thinks.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not yet but on course to be if he continues. Being 28 I don't really remember the 80's and 'glory days' but since then I'd say he's on course to being for sure.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The gulf between Gus's thinking and that of most people in English football was summed up for me by the bloke on the Pompey commentary imploring them to "go on, get it forward" as they searched for the equaliser. Because clearly all successful sides just twat the ball up the pitch when they need a goal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gus has already surpassed any other Albion manager as far as I am concerned.

I have NEVER seen a manager come in and utterly transform the way a squad of players plays the game. Its like he's re-invented the frigging wheel and got them playing a different sport. Just look at El Abd. A little over a year ago he was a bloody liability. Now, he looks like one of the greatest centrebacks in our recent history. Navarro was feckin' useless - he really was - until Gus got hold of him and before his injury turned him into one of the most solid, effective, consistent engine-room midfielders in the team.

He has got this team playing football the like of which I have NEVER seen from an Albion team. Ever. It swells my heart and it swells my loins to see us pass pass pass our way from the back through the midfield. Every player knows his role, every player has bought into this style, and you can see they just LOVE playing this way. We don't have any one singular "superstar" in the side who makes us tick - from 1 to 11 they all play their part, and when it comes together like today - which it very often does - its just a joy.

And that is down to one man. He IS a genius, and I can't believe how lucky we are to have him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here