Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on the radio

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I've heard the gaffer on the radio twice recently. He was introduced as ex-Chelsea, rather than as current Brighton manager.

This annoys me.

That is all.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Sky Sports are MUCH better with regards to this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thank you for sharing.

Actually I think (inadvertently) he raises a valid point.

So many journalists and commentators, when talking about a given player or manager, so often refer to them as 'the former [insert name of club] winger/hot-shot/stopper/donkey...'. For me, it's something akin to lazy journalism or apathy towards any sense of original thought.

Bobby Zamora, for instance, is still referred to as 'the former Bristol Rovers star...'. It's not the fact that he did f*** all down there, or that it was so long ago that he was there, or even that's it's Bristol Rovers, it's the lack of relevance to the reference or description that grates.

But it's OK, I'm over it now.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
When he was doing ITV coverage of the FA Cup he was introduced as Gus Poyet, Ex Chelsea and now Brighton Manager, and then we got an extra little clip of our goal at torquay, which I thought was nice, and went a little way towards me liking ITV.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've heard the gaffer on the radio twice recently. He was introduced as ex-Chelsea, rather than as current Brighton manager.

This annoys me.

Agreed, a minor irritatant but still annoying. I noticed that for the now infamous Nolan interview, where he clearly didn't know who Gus was and finally mustered 'former, er, Chelsea, and er, Uruguay player'.

He's the Brighton manager, plain and simple, that's enough of an intro, with maybe former Uruguay international to back it up if it needs it.

Still, it's lucky that TLO was around to confirm that 'inadvertently' you'd made a good point. Thank goodness he is around to make sense of people's own thought processes and posts, just in case quite by accident they said something worthwhile. It's a real relief. Patronising? Moi?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
If I were smarter, I would have inadvertently raised the point that Gus himself could say before going on air something like "make sure the presenter introduces me as Brighton manager, OK". Or at least point it out on air.

And if I were both smarter and a conspiracy theorist, I'd be worried that he doesn't seem to.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here