Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on current situation with Murray's new contract

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Gus talking about ongoing negotiations in this morning Argus.

Argus

Poyet told the Argus, I'm not bothered at all, He's free, he's in a great situation. We are negotiating with him to stay, that's football

Poyet has refuted a report that Murray turned down a new contract earlier this year. 'That was a long time ago, more than a year' Poyet said 'He thought it was not the right time to do it. This year we started the season without any discussions and as soon as it got to January they start getting in touch. It's a normal negotiation. From the clubs point of view, and I suppose Glenns as well. It's not about whether he wants to stay or we want him to stay, it's a problem of negotiation, because of the situation - what he has done, because he's a striker, because of his age,the years of contract

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Wow - it sounds "complicated"!

I think we will make him a great offer - better the devil you know and all that (not that he is a devil - obviously!). I am sure that if he does go, we will buy someone even better though.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
its impossible to know what will happen. only one man knows and that is glenn himself. Although, i dont even think he has made a decision yet and he will weigh up his options at the end of the season. We will just have to wait and see

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think Gus is very negative in the press about contract discussions because he is a player that has played at the top, and knows what it is like to be a talented player at that age, more times than not the club lose out, just being realistic, he's hardly going to start going on about how he is desperate for Glenn to stay, else it just creates more hype around Glenn.

If Glenn wants to stay, he will....

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
some other club will offer silly wages because there will be no fee.........i don't think he will stay.

a low premo club or bigger championship club will take him.

an extra 2k a week is ALOT of money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Glenn Murray is 27. This next deal is THE BIG DEAL of Murray's career - the one that needs to set him up for life. Can't blame him for pushing for the best deal he can.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Sounds like superGlenn is holding out for some big money.

Would love to see him re-sign as he's been a hero this season & i think it'd be hard to get a player with similar qualitys. However i can see the clubs point of view if they don't want to pay lots to a player with no championship experience.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
if what i hear is true,then evn though he is happy with his new bird,he will be gone,some club will offer in excess off 15 grand,and he will run for the hills

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
It's in Glenn's interest to wait until the club's position is certain. He won't want to be tied to a contract if (unlikely now) we are still a third division club next season and if we are promoted he will be able to negotiate a better contract.

Also the club won't want to be handing out championship salaries until promotion is certain.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I would have thought they tried to get him to sign an extention in january, so at least if he does go in the summer we get some money. As we can't compete with the wages that other clubs will be making for him - as they won't be paying a fee for him. I also think it will be hard to find a replacement, as Gus has been looking for over a year and not found anyone. I would say it is up to Glenn, as i am sure gus would love to keep him.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Monthly income is important but so is length of contracts. at 27, Glenn wants a good wage but also will be looking for some security. That could be as much of a sticking point as a few £K either way.

4 years at £12k/m is £2.5m guaranteed.

2 years at £15k/m is £1.5m guaranteed. Then he'd be gambling on: his form staying up, not being injured, market still being as bouyant, being older so likely to get a shorter contract at 29.

Length of contract looks hyper critical and that could be our sticking point - esp if we think we'l be in the Prem within that timeframe.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think the main issue is money. Glenn has said in interviews that things are completely different to when he put his transfer request in, that he is settled here and really enjoys playing for the club.

If you put yourself in Murray's shoes though: He's 27, and will only have maybe 4-5 years left of his prime, if that. He's currently playing the season of his life and will certainly be playing in the Championship next year. Every football player will want to play in the Premier League at some point in his life and for Glenn to do it, realisticly it needs to be in the next few years. Of course, there is every chance he could do that with us, but for him it's a matter of weighing up whether he'll get there quicker with us or another team, and how much he needs to be paid to stay with us, who are currently less likely to get to the promised land than some clubs who could bid for him. So I imagine he's fighting to get every penny he can to keep him here, and who can blame him?

In the club's perspective, of course we want to keep him as he is pure class, but we won't be able to compete with some of the clubs in the league above us if they came in for him. We don't want to be a club that offers over the top wages we cant afford. But he is happy here, you can see that from watching him play, so I think it's just a case of agreeing the right deal for both parties. Whether that deal gets agreed is yet to be seen, but I'm optimistic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Championship + Falmer + TBs vision for the Albion = fantastic opportunity for any striker, if Glenn turns it down, there will be others.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't read it like that.

I read it as more about Glenn (or his 'people')'s valuation of his financial worth with regard to his age, experience, effort, quality and so on against the club's valuation.

this. with promotion in the mix, theres alot to negotiate. also, he mention his age, so i think its as much about the length of contract as the wages etc.

we've seen in the past Gus takes a fairly laid back approach to these issues, i believe he doesn't want to conduct negotiations in the press.

Last edited:

I don't read it like that.

I read it as more about Glenn (or his 'people')'s valuation of his financial worth with regard to his age, experience, effort, quality and so on against the club's valuation.

I could be way off, mind.

Pragmatic and business-minded contract talks are probably conducted with those factors in mind - more than the worth as a fan's favourite or entertainer etc. Gus has been through all this stuff and is unlikely to inject anything much more than a businesslike input about it.

I don't read anything between any lines, it's just a necessity that requires doing, then he knows whether he should go shopping for a new player - or not. Simples, not 'complicated' really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here