Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on a New Signing, why Bridge didn't feature and the Stadium/Pitch

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Poyet: The Search Goes On

Gus Poyet has told seagulls.co.uk that finding a striker is proving tough but hopes he might be able to add at least one new face this week.

The Albion boss, speaking after the 5-0 win over Maidstone United, explained, "It is difficult because with strikers there are not many and the few that there are, they are very expensive.

"So it is difficult to get one. We will see though, we are working. We are still in a good situation with a few - not many but a few - so we will see if we can develop it in the right way.

"I think we have more options with midfielders. There are more possibilities, so it may be easier somehow. We are looking forward to see if we can do at least one deal this week."

Poyet also explained the absence of new signing Wayne Bridge, as his side cruised to victory over Maidstone in the opening of their new Gallagher Stadium.

The former England International pulled up in the warm up and took no part in the match which saw Ashley Barnes net a nine-minute hat-trick.

"Bridge wanted to play and we were ready to risk it to a point but then after the warm up it was too much of a risk, so we decided not to force it and let him recover. We will try and play him on Tuesday.

"He had a tight groin but it's not an injury, it was just really really tight because of the work we have been doing."

The Albion boss also heaped praise on Maidstone's new facilities after his side cruised to an emphatic victory on the artificial surface.

"I was very pleased, the pitch was magnificent. The players were happy and the ball rolled very well. There were no issues and no injuries, so it was perfection. Congratulations to Maidstone."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gus Poyet has told seagulls.co.uk that finding a striker is proving tough but hopes he might be able to add at least one new face this week.
Another decent midfielder this week would be great.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Clinical finisher

I think Buckley is the most clinical finisher we have in the squad.

I think Hoskins is he just has not had the opportunity to show it. I am sure if he can get a run in the side he will be excellent at championship standard.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I think Hoskins is he just has not had the opportunity to show it. I am sure if he can get a run in the side he will be excellent at championship standard.

I wouldn't know having seen so little of him. Would very much like to see Hoskins get that opportunity this season.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Was excited about Hoskins signing last year but never really played last season so if he got fit and his head set on staying in & playing for Brighton this year could be like a new signing , it took till the last 15 games of the season last year for all to fall in love with Vicente so maybe this good be Hoskins turn to shine

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
So glad the first pre season game was played today at last we're all talking about the Albion again & football and not talking about wiping yer arse ( did make me laugh though ) or signing Owen , roll on august 18th

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
My understanding is that Hoskins is class, and more than capable. Unfortunately, he became a bit of a 'sicknote' last season. Hopefully, he will fulfill his potential this season.
However, we are definitely still after another top level striker, as per other posts, I understand it could still be RSC

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
My understanding is that Hoskins is class, and more than capable. Unfortunately, he became a bit of a 'sicknote' last season. Hopefully, he will fulfill his potential this season.
However, we are definitely still after another top level striker, as per other posts, I understand it could still be RSC

That would tie in with Gus' comments of a few in contact etc. any idea who the midfielder could be?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"very expensive" says Gus. I think this must mean wages.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
That would tie in with Gus' comments of a few in contact etc. any idea who the midfielder could be?

The people who I know at the club are good for info, I hardly ever post for fear of abuse and I genuinely don't want/need any kudos. I am delighted with where we've come from to where we are now.
As posted before, I only psas on what I've been told and there are no guarantees until you see the player on Sky with the shirt.
RSC is still possible, midfielder, no idea.
Now I'm back posting, if I hear anything, I will share. Although if one doesn't happen, more nervous about posting!

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
The people who I know at the club are good for info, I hardly ever post for fear of abuse and I genuinely don't want/need any kudos. I am delighted with where we've come from to where we are now.
As posted before, I only psas on what I've been told and there are no guarantees until you see the player on Sky with the shirt.
RSC is still possible, midfielder, no idea.
Now I'm back posting, if I hear anything, I will share. Although if one doesn't happen, more nervous about posting!

Yeah don't be worried though, you're only telling us what you've been told and RSC would be sweeeeet. Midfielder in the next week according to Gus so little need for speculation as I can wait that long.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'd go for a class midfielder b4 a new striker

I don't care who comes to the club first: just so long as we get both!

It's good to hear Hoskins (aka 'Bob') sounded like he had a decent run-out this arvo. I think T.G. summed things up perfectly for me. Here's hoping eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here