Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus looking for improved budget next season

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

Gus Poyet wants his budget boosted next season to turn Albion into genuine Championship Play-off contenders.

The Seagulls have more than tripled their crowds since moving from Withdean to the Amex.

Commercial spinoffs have also multiplied and Poyet, who signed a new five year contract in September, is confident extra funds will gradually filter through for him to buy better players.

He told the Argus: “I’m the type of manager who, if you give me all the money in the world, I like it. They say with that comes pressure. Give it to me, I’ll take it, I’ve got no problem with that.

“How big the change is going to be is the chairman’s decision but we will increase for sure.

That was the idea all the time of the long term contract, slowly getting better and stronger.

I would like to start the season thinking ‘Yes, now it’s a proper top six challenge'

I said at the beginning of the season, it's not now. We are there because we are a decent team, not because we should be there."

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well I think Bloom pretty much is reading from the same book , I can't see Gus not getting the required cash (unless we totally bottle the second half of the season of course).

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Odd, why would they report in that way to imply that he's not considering promotion this year.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Considering we're nearly halfway through the season and in sixth place, it's pretty disrespetful to the current players to suggest that this isn't a proper play-off challenge.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I think he's being realistic, and not disrespectful - you have to admit that we're not playing football that should command a play off place - last week is reminder of how woeful we can be, we were just lucky that Forest's forward line was dire. Personally I don't want us to go up this year, I 'd be delighted if we finished top half and gave a good account of ourselves.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Considering we're nearly halfway through the season and in sixth place, it's pretty disrespetful to the current players to suggest that this isn't a proper play-off challenge.

I think it's just stating the obvious, I don't think we're up with WH, Leeds, Hull etc, and don't expect us to finish in the top 6, but hopefully not far outside it.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I don't think its disrespectful, its just a nudge to give them an incentive and the truth because we need to be consistently winning in order to get promoted in the next 2/3 years. It is OK having a blip but a run of 7/8 games drawing/losing won't get you up.
Anyway, don't you know Gus loves giving it loud by now!

D

Deleted member 18477

george boyd
jake livermore
billy sharp
and keep lewis dunk

done! cheers gus.

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
I would happily turn down the cash. No point getting spanked week in week out. I want nothing more than to see Brighton in the prem BUT not until we have a genuine chance of staying in it !

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Suggest listen to entire interview on seagulls world . Gus more saying if we stay in touch ie 2 wins off play offs near end then who knows. Said begining of season didn't think ok , we are top 6 side , let's have a go but said this is how he wants to think next pre season if gets right players . Money answer was in reply to a loaded q really .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
60 million quid at last count isn't it?

From that, I reckon if Gus had 30-40 million to spend he could definitely build a side to keep us in the Prem, then slowly improve.

Everyone's thinking "we'd get spanked" based on our current starting line up. Which we would. But we wouldn't start in the Prem with that line up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Odd, why would they report in that way to imply that he's not considering promotion this year.
Firstly, because he's right. We've done well to sneak into the top 6, but we are punching above our weight. Secondly, he likes to keep expectations down a little anyway.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Telling any possible targets this Jan that we have potential and will be improving the squad. I like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here