Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Interview 'Give Me Football' 15 July 2011

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have been on here quite a bit in the past few days and haven't seen this article. Apologies if it has already been posted.

Brighton boss takes exclusive GMF hot seat
Gus Poyet is busy preparing Seagulls for Championship assault
By Lawrie Madden July 15, 2011

Gus is putting his faith in British players – a growing trend. (©PAphotos)Picture GalleryNew
Championship pictures
Brighton & Hove Albion pictures

Gus PoyetThis season being in the Championship plus moving to a new ground makes it a lot easier to attract players Team Pages
Brighton & Hove Albion
Also see
Video Gallery
Transfer Directory
Manager Spotlight
Gus Poyet had a long and distinguished career as a player with Tottenham and Chelsea before embarking on a career as a coach and manager.

Having been assistant manager to Dennis Wise at Swindon and Leeds, Poyet took up the managerial reins at Brighton and in his first season guided them as runaway winners into the Championship.

GMF caught up with him ahead of the new season...

Q. How is pre-season going so far?

A. It is going very well at the moment. We have been back two weeks and everyone has trained well and more importantly we do not have any injuries which is a main concern when you start back.

Q. You have been into the market already. Are there more players to come?

A. My Chairman has been very supportive so far and we have brought in three players which I am happy with but I want to bring in another five before the start of the season.

Q. How close are you on signing them?

A. We are pretty close to one or two and hopeful that we will sign them very soon. We are still working on a few others but hopefully we will have a couple of players in soon and will keep looking to strengthen before the start of the season.

Q. How is the market for players at the moment?

A. Well, now that we are in the Championship and in a different division that has made a big difference. Last season we went to {remiership clubs and it was difficult to get players out on loan. This season being in the Championship plus moving to a new ground makes it a lot easier to attract players..

Q. There appears to be a move back towards buying British players. How do you view this?

A. I have bought three players in so far that are British. My view is that in certain positions it is vital to have English players or at least have players from abroad who have played and have experience of English football.

If you bring in a player from abroad who has not played here before you have to be prepared to give them time which I am happy to do if the right one comes along.

Q. You recently attended a managers meeting. What came out of it?

A. Well it is a meeting which we have every year to look over what happened the previous year. We go over refereeing decisions and see if there are any changes to the rules etc and keep up with everything ahead of the new season.

Not too exciting I am afraid !

horam267

Feb 24, 2010
I imagine the 2 new signings refers to Vincelot and Lua Lua, so nothing new.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you for posting... hadn't seen that before and confirmation of our ambitions in the t/f mkt...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Q. How is pre-season going so far?

A. It is going very well at the moment. We have been back two weeks and everyone has trained well and more importantly we do not have any injuries which is a main concern when you start back.
Any injuries? Or any more injuries?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here