Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: "I know what I've got to change for next season."

Merlot

Banned
Apr 8, 2012
Gus Poyet seems to have a bit of an idealist in him and when things don't go quite right on the day he gets upset. Then he analyses what is going wrong and attempts to correct it. I think we will have a limit of 25 first teamers and there will be changes in the summer.

Statistics will show it is the midfield than is worse than say Watford. Our attack and defence (even over the season with some naff teams out out like Watford away) is better, it is the midfield that is not so good. Even last season we saw that we were vulnerable to hoof it teams and we lost to Hartlepool worse than we lost to Burnley. And Tranmere away was comparable to Millwall away.

Like Cloughie he has a system and players are chosen to fit in with the system. Mullery was a bit more easy going but he still knew what sort of players he wanted. No more journeyman managers for me.

The going rate for really good young players is £10 million each. So we might have to make do with players with potential. Can't spend that sort of money until we get to the promised land.

25 players equals (some utility players can occupy more than one role)

Goalkeepers 3
Central defenders 4
Full backs 4
Midfielders 7 holding 2 central 1 box to box 2 creative 2
Wingers 3
Strikers 4 target 2 poacher 2

Gus said yesterday that we have to many wingers? He sounded like he'll be parting with one or two. Think he should of rephrased that and said we have way to many midfilders.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Wow, what a brilliant way to miss the point. Goals conceded is the stat, if you genuinely need the help. My point was our defence is not the problem; we don't concede many - about 6th best in goals conceded I think - the problem has been creating chances. Is that not the point you're trying to make?

No, the point I am trying to make is that our defense uses too many players, and dictates our whole pattern of play. This is because the defensive players we have are not good enough when used in a suitable quantity to allow us to attack as well. We should not concede many goals, but we certainly will not score many or play attractive football either!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the Germans (Bayern Munich) will give the Spanish a good run for their money.

And Vicente should have scored, and Greer's goal was good although the header did not deserve it, and the free kick was mucked up. It could have been 4-3 at half-time. Lansbury missed as well.

The top clubs in the Championship have had virtually the same back four all season.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Considering we are still in the playoff hunt, I would say "not that much"

People have seriously lost context of how well we have done this year. Mad

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Considering we are still in the playoff hunt, I would say "not that much"

People have seriously lost context of how well we have done this year. Mad

We've had a great season, and though the stats may say that, but I'm going to follow Tano's line here. "We have over-achieved this season..."

I think we have a hell of a lot of improving to do - we're 20 points off the promotion pace, and we have to make that up next season to be contenders. That's going to take some doing...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus said yesterday that we have to many wingers? He sounded like he'll be parting with one or two. Think he should of rephrased that and said we have way to many midfilders.

Maybe he is softening the blow when Nooney is sold and Vicente goes back to Spain ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well re the midfield you could get rid of dicker and nav if we had that bailey fella from middboro. That frees up another space.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
All positions can be improved upon, we don't have any of the best players for any position on the pitch in this league at least not on current form

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Gus's comment was referring to having too many good players who are wingers and not enough quality anywhere else on the pitch

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He just needs to play the fcuking wingers... 2 of them...

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I think the biggest thing we need is a goal scorer. I genuinely think if we'd had a Lambert or a Vaz Te we'd be comfortably in the top 6 and looking forward to the play offs.
And what if they are suspended or injured - strength in depth is what we need so we are not reliant on just one player, especially Vicente!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
He needs to bring back Murray to play alongside CMS.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Personally I'm happy with the season, as are the vast majority of fans, we have been competitive for the vast majority of this season with a squad made up from mainly league 1 players. I'd say the manager has exceeded expectations.

This 100%.
Gus had a limited budget. He has never managed at this level before. He had to give the players who got us there a chance to do it again. He couldn't know if they would cut it or not and they have done great - afeter all we still COULD get into the play-offs. Look at the teams below us who spent big -how must they feel? This was a season of consolidation for us and we have exceeded that in spades - our budget was to finish 16th ffs!!!. Gus is still learning and has done great....we are doing things the right way, we have an academy on the way, we have a stadium to die for and a brilliant benefactor in Mr Bloom. Two more seasons and we'll be ready.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This 100%.
Gus had a limited budget. He has never managed at this level before. He had to give the players who got us there a chance to do it again. He couldn't know if they would cut it or not and they have done great - afeter all we still COULD get into the play-offs. Look at the teams below us who spent big -how must they feel? This was a season of consolidation for us and we have exceeded that in spades - our budget was to finish 16th ffs!!!. Gus is still learning and has done great....we are doing things the right way, we have an academy on the way, we have a stadium to die for and a brilliant benefactor in Mr Bloom. Two more seasons and we'll be ready.

Agree with all of that except the '2 more seasons' bit... I reckon Gus will have to get us up next season, or we'll lose him... he wants to see constant progress...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I wouldn't trust Poyet to spend large with any confidence. He will sign someone for £3m then stick them on the bench.
It's not Poyet's fault we spent £3m on CMS. thats the negoiator and Blooms fault. Gus only asked for him. He didn't realise how much the money men would spend on him :lol: :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here