Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: "I know what I've got to change for next season."

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Agreed! but maybe think about David Gonzalez! Grant Hall and Dunky! We have good players but aren't utilised! Also Jake F-C

We should buy early , and use our palyers as you say above , then use pre-season to establish our best 11 with a few floaters , we should play to our strengths next year not other teams .

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Haha. Not one to slag off players. I understand Gus wanted to give the guys that came up as champions a go this season. They've had a go and done a lot better than I thought they would. But if we want to challenge the top 6 all season next year this is what is needed.

Just noticed in yesterdays game and at Ipswich away how much having a few lumps on the field can make a huge difference at this level. We have to be able to mix it with the bully boys in this league. Our nice passing football, which is great, can only take us so far.

Gus said that last summer. He was clearly right. However, with the exception of Buckley, he failed to do anything about it. Even then, it was not in the right area of the park.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
A higher tempo. Look at the Reading game - yes we lost it but we tore them apart playing at a higher tempo, shifting the ball quickly into wide positions and runners from midfield getting up close to the front line. Tickling it about at the back then pinging a diagonal ball to our one winger who has to beat three players on his own and then put a cross into our one striker's lap (who is being marked by two massive centre backs) isn't producing. The thing is the trade off between higher tempo play and the inevitable loss of possession from misplaced passes/poor first touch. Unfortunately people on here don't see that trade-off so will bitch and moan like menopausal fishwives about playing too defensively and needing to play quicker football, then come home and complain because a player misplaced a couple of passes. Yesterday was a freak result which is barely worth talking about; it won't be the last time we get hammered so you just chalk it off as a bad day at the office and move on. The key for Gus is unlocking our offensive talent up top and on the flanks but staying defensively solid, and that comes from a bigger, stronger, more technical central midfield and more pace in full-back positions. Regardless of the moaning on here, our defence is one of the better in the division (discouting yesterday obviously) - the stats speak for themselves. The problem is creating chances but that attacking intent can only realistically come from players being safe in the knowledge that they have protection behind them. Otherwise it's just a gung-ho Peterborough style of basketball-football where we sprint from one end to the other and all games end 4-3.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
His pants & grow some cojones.
2nd lowest scoring team in the whole division away from home ALL SEASON & he plays no wingers (LL & B) AGAIN who make up 2 of our best 3 players so we HAVE to defend, we don't score & we DO concede. Was Poyet there the night LL & V destroyed Derby (who had won 3 in a row) by dividing the attention of the oppo & attacking? Running scared at at WH (same as Wilkins did) who had conceded 7 (seven) in their previous 2 home games was an absolute disgrace

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I do agree we need a more physical presence - especially in midfield - I thought so after the home game against Leeds back in the autumn. And I think most of us couldn't work out why Gus didn't strengthen at full-back in the summer. Mattock looks very good to me (if he'll come) but we need a quality right-back too.

I'm less worried about strikers - CMS will have a much better second season here I'm sure - though I'm sure we'll sign one more for the Vokes role.

Above all a quality, consistent keeper would be marvellous.

One thing (of many) that Gus has got spot on this season though is easing Dunk and JFC into the team. Next year we'll see more of them both I imagine and they'll be stronger than ever.

James90

Apr 14, 2012
We should buy early , and use our palyers as you say above , then use pre-season to establish our best 11 with a few floaters , we should play to our strengths next year not other teams .

CMS is clearly out of his depth in this league! Buckley is clearly a confidence player so its just about keeping his confidence high. Need a finisher like kevin phillips he has been in the top goal scorers charts for donkeys years! Give the youth more of a chance they are clearly eager to impress!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If Gus thinks he plays, proper football then as far as i'm concerned he can shove it up his arse. 80% of the time there has been nothing to get excited about this season, in terms of the way we play. We set up not to lose games, instead of playing to the strength's of our stronger players and attacking teams. Most of the time all our possesion is in our own half, while the opposition get organised in front of us. The ball does not move quick enough through the midfield...Football is supposed to be entertaining, what we have witnessed 80% of the time this season is not entertainment....49 goals in 43 games, says it all. Only two teams have scored less than us away from home and they are both in the bottom 4.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So defending properly has nothing to do with "proper football". And, when will we start to play proper football instead of negative Latin shite?

Proper football as Gus sees it. Maybe I should have used the inverted commas as well.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Gus said that last summer. He was clearly right. However, with the exception of Buckley, he failed to do anything about it. Even then, it was not in the right area of the park.

I understand Gus has a limited budget, which he has spent well to be fair. Having that dominant force in the middle of the park will hopefully free up a man to play alongside CMS. Would love to see Barnes and CMS together up front with two wingers. This is my dream anyway.

Gus has laid the foundations in the championship, we are one summers spending away from seeing the finished article.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Proper football as Gus sees it. Maybe I should have used the inverted commas as well.

Excuse the pun but I would question what is proper football, as our fans sung the hilarious we play the ball on the floor and hoof to West Ham we lost 6-0, what does that say ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gus has laid the foundations in the championship, we are one summers spending away from seeing the finished article.

I hope so but 2nd season syndrome may kick in, put it this way given the impatience at times at the Amex if we have a poor start next season there will be carnage

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
If Gus thinks he plays, proper football then as far as i'm concerned he can shove it up his arse. 80% of the time there has been nothing to get excited about this season, in terms of the way we play. We set up not to lose games, instead of playing to the strength's of our stronger players and attacking teams. Most of the time all our possesion is in our own half, while the opposition get organised in front of us. The ball does not move quick enough through the midfield...Football is supposed to be entertaining, what we have witnessed 80% of the time this season is not entertainment....49 goals in 43 games, says it all. Only two teams have scored less than us away from home and they are both in the bottom 4.

Good morning sunshine.
I had no idea that you felt this way. you should have mentioned it before.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I understand Gus has a limited budget, which he has spent well to be fair. Having that dominant force in the middle of the park will hopefully free up a man to play alongside CMS. Would love to see Barnes and CMS together up front with two wingers. This is my dream anyway.

Spent well?...Are you taking the piss?....Harley(shit), Lualua(not used enough), Cms(don't play to strenghts), Vincelot, Paynter(wages), Buckley(not used enough), Razak(wages), Assuin(wages),

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
A higher tempo. Look at the Reading game - yes we lost it but we tore them apart playing at a higher tempo, shifting the ball quickly into wide positions and runners from midfield getting up close to the front line. Tickling it about at the back then pinging a diagonal ball to our one winger who has to beat three players on his own and then put a cross into our one striker's lap (who is being marked by two massive centre backs) isn't producing. The thing is the trade off between higher tempo play and the inevitable loss of possession from misplaced passes/poor first touch. Unfortunately people on here don't see that trade-off so will bitch and moan like menopausal fishwives about playing too defensively and needing to play quicker football, then come home and complain because a player misplaced a couple of passes. Yesterday was a freak result which is barely worth talking about; it won't be the last time we get hammered so you just chalk it off as a bad day at the office and move on. The key for Gus is unlocking our offensive talent up top and on the flanks but staying defensively solid, and that comes from a bigger, stronger, more technical central midfield and more pace in full-back positions. Regardless of the moaning on here, our defence is one of the better in the division (discouting yesterday obviously) - the stats speak for themselves. The problem is creating chances but that attacking intent can only realistically come from players being safe in the knowledge that they have protection behind them. Otherwise it's just a gung-ho Peterborough style of basketball-football where we sprint from one end to the other and all games end 4-3.

Would that be the number of yellow and red cards from last-ditch defending? Or the low number of goals scored by us because of the number of players we use to defend?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Good morning sunshine.
I had no idea that you felt this way. you should have mentioned it before.

lol,,,,,I would say that from being in the 5% group who thought Poyet was a tosser a month ago, i'm now in the 20% group. The tide is turning, the rest of you will see it when you remove the blinkers and stop living in the past and get into the present....Just out of interest, 10 points in the last 10 games(relegation form) don't you agree when the pressure is on and managers earn their corn, he has come up well short?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I hope so but 2nd season syndrome may kick in, put it this way given the impatience at times at the Amex if we have a poor start next season there will be carnage

Well lets stay on the side of positivity shall we. A week is a long time in football a summer is a lifetime.

With the stadium expansion on the way the budget should be even greater next season. So with a few bodies coming and going lets see what Gus can come up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here