Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: "I know what I've got to change for next season."

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
oh and as for change ..... abandon loyalty to (some of) the fellas that did a good job get us promoted from L1 ... this is a different game

James90

Apr 14, 2012
Vaz Te 500K and CMs 3M just a headless chicken running about! need a 25 a goal season striker. Get rid of Dicker clearly not good enough, too many misses place passes on Tuesday. Give Forster-Caskey another go a very good talent, and maybe Grant Hall. Maybe should start LuaLua he clearly is back to full fitness

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I relise this is not a popular opinion but......In order to beat physically strong teams, like West Ham yesterday, he needs to replace Greer. When we have the ball and are playing the ball around at leisure then he is great but under attack from quick physically strong forwards he is not. He just doesn't mix it. Dunk would have been a better bet yesterday.

James90

Apr 14, 2012
I agree Greer out he is starting to look out of his depth. At least give the youngsters a run out! If they do well there value rockets! providing more money for experienced players in this division

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Most of the starting lineup, and tactics. Power, size and pace needed in the players - tactics - attack, attack, attack, move the ball forward at pace.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I have no idea what Greer was doing when Vaz Te scored his second - he never left the ground and had his back turned.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think the biggest thing we need is a goal scorer. I genuinely think if we'd had a Lambert or a Vaz Te we'd be comfortably in the top 6 and looking forward to the play offs.
If we create f all for our current strikers then why would we need another striker?thats not the issue:)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Goalie.

2 better full backs. That would reduce need to pack the midfield with "defensive midfielders", thus allowing him more scope to play more attack minded midfielders.

I don't expect wholesale changes and I don't expect him to dump CMS.

Incidentally, would people have howled "negative, negative blah, blah, blah" yesterday before the game if he had picked a midfield of Bridcutt, Dicker, Vincelot and Sparrow? I suspect so.

James90

Apr 14, 2012
Since Portsmouth at Home where we won 2-0! Every time someone has the ball it looks like nothing is going to happen! only Vicente seems like he can do something! LuaLua has performed well but hasn't been getting the minutes on field

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
"I know what I've got to change for next season." said Gus yesterday.

What do you think he will have decided that he needs to change, in order to beat strong teams like next season's equivalents of West Ham and Reading (assuming they go up)?

Naylor was alluding to some further comments from Gus about next season on twitter, be interesting to see what they are. I think pure athleticism & strength are half the problem as the majority of "Our" players just don't measure up against the better teams. Encouraged by a comment earlier in the week that he wants he squad together by July to avoid the need for loans, heard this before many times but let's hope the Amex effect really happens and he gets the backing he needs in the key positions. GK, FB's, Commanding CMF & Striker aren't going to come cheap, especially if we leave it late.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the biggest thing we need is a goal scorer. I genuinely think if we'd had a Lambert or a Vaz Te we'd be comfortably in the top 6 and looking forward to the play offs.
I used to say this sarcastically and a little tongue in check, but the longer the season has gone on, the more serious I've got:-

Drogba couldn't score in our team.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We need a lot more players who are mentally and physically tougher. Don't ask me who . ..... That's what gus gets paid for!

James90

Apr 14, 2012
getting the service is the problem! When nooney was playing well CMS was scoring! Navarro OUT Dicker OUT Greer OUT. Maybe give David Gonzalez a go between the sticks! Maybe should of taken that 500k for Nooney in January

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
how about his own team tactics and team selections which have cost us points, lets blame the players when they have been sent out to play his way and not gus he never takes the blame

I agree with you about some of his team selections, which can be bizarre and almost Wenger-esque in the sense that he seems to do it just to show he can (which is a weakness).

But nothing can excuse yesterday's defending. Nothing. It was like they were already on the beach, not playing in a vital match for a play-off bid.

James90

Apr 14, 2012
I agree with you about some of his team selections, which can be bizarre and almost Wenger-esque in the sense that he seems to do it just to show he can (which is a weakness).

But nothing can excuse yesterday's defending. Nothing. It was like they were already on the beach, not playing in a vital match for a play-off bid.

Comes down to experience all those players around that part of table have been there before where as ours haven't

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
A rethink of the formation, I think we need to be brave enough to play two wingers

Signings wise:

A goalkeeper (Alex Smithies or Jason Steele I'd like them to be young and british but can't be to picky)

Goal scorer (Jordan Rhodes and I know people think he wouldn't sign for us but no one thought CMS would either)

Hard battling centre mid who can play (Karl Henry from Wolves or someone else from a relegated prem team)

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Vaz Te 500K and CMs 3M just a headless chicken running about! need a 25 a goal season striker. Get rid of Dicker clearly not good enough, too many misses place passes on Tuesday. Give Forster-Caskey another go a very good talent, and maybe Grant Hall. Maybe should start LuaLua he clearly is back to full fitness

This headless chicken you're on about scored 35 goals last season.

Yes, he's been given a tough (and mainly lone) attacking role in a far tougher division this year, but CMS is still a great striker for this level who, despite the fact we've not got the very best out of him thus far, can and hopefully will return to form for us next season. Don't think I'd want to swap him for that many other strikers currently plying their trade in the Championship to be honest.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
And build a £100M stadium designed for wingers and then not play them.

Yes, but you are forgetting the fact that they are offensive players. We only do defensive, and then not very well most of the time. Our poor defense, resulting in desperate tackles, is the main reason for so many yellow and red cards this year. We should unleash our fantastic wingers, and let other teams worry about us, rather than shitting ourselves about the other team's players and how to counter them as our priority.

We also need to add some passion and aggression to our team. We need some bite!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here