Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus' 23 man squad plan

Oct 25, 2003
so presuming he means 2 players per position with 3 goalkeepers

GK: Brezovan, Poke, Walker= DONE

RB: Calderon, Whing=DONE

CB: Greer, Elphick, El-Abd, Dunk (hall)=DONE

LB: Painter, McNulty(james Smith)=DONE

RM: Bennett, Carole/Hart?=DONE (but might change)

CM: Sparrow, Navarro, Dicker, Battipiedi, (Caskey, jamie Smith, Thomson, Wilkins), =DONE

LM: Baz=NOT DONE

CF: Barnes, Murray, Holroyd, (Barker)=NOT DONE

so all we really need is another striker, left midfielder (lualua?) and perhaps a back up right midfielder (kishichev?) and i reckon we're SORTED:amex::amex:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It had crossed my mind that this was his plan

Scope for rotation/injuries

Whittle it down to the core 23 as you say, 46 games, plus cups, and hopefully we're in the mix come May...

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Think we definitely need a couple of more wingers/attacking wide-men, if we're to continue with the 4-5-1 (flying V) formation.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The left midfielder/winger is a vital part of the plan. I see us playing the Spanish national system. It is lop-sided towards the left, until you see the part the right back plays.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Get rid of Harte, Carol, and Holroyd and add another LM, RM and a Striker and I would be ecstatic but I doubt that will happen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
so presuming he means 2 players per position with 3 goalkeepers

GK: Brezovan, Poke, Walker= DONE

RB: Calderon, Whing=DONE

CB: Greer, Elphick, El-Abd, Dunk (hall)=DONE

LB: Painter, McNulty(james Smith)=DONE

RM: Bennett, Carole/Hart?=DONE (but might change)

CM: Sparrow, Navarro, Dicker, Battipiedi, (Caskey, jamie Smith, Thomson, Wilkins), =DONE

LM: Baz=NOT DONE

CF: Barnes, Murray, Holroyd, (Barker)=NOT DONE

so all we really need is another striker, left midfielder (lualua?) and perhaps a back up right midfielder (kishichev?) and i reckon we're SORTED:amex::amex:

Right and left midfield loook as if they need attention. Think we may sign that chap from Holland Bobson and probably a back up to Calderon

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Do we know the numbers allocated to each player?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would prefer it if we didn't have such rigid roles. I don't like saying"this guy is left back, this guy is back up left back". I want options, I want the left back to be able to play let wing if needed, and vice versa. I want the centre back to be able to move to right back and so on. I think listing players as a single position and alternative for single position leads to blinkered views of the players and their potential role for the team.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I feel we still need 3 or 4 players to make us in to a play-off come promotion team and i feel we need 2 wingers and 1 forward and another one for a different position thats just how i feel

Last edited:

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I would prefer it if we didn't have such rigid roles. I don't like saying"this guy is left back, this guy is back up left back". I want options, I want the left back to be able to play let wing if needed, and vice versa. I want the centre back to be able to move to right back and so on. I think listing players as a single position and alternative for single position leads to blinkered views of the players and their potential role for the team.

Are you looking forward to returning to Withdean for the friendly, Mark?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Sorry got to disagree as it would be good but not as , crucial as a 25 goal a year striker, that is much more important and that is crucial.

Murray can get us 25 goals. We certainly need another striker but we don't even have a starting left winger yet! Although I guess Holroyd could play left wing in a 4-5-1.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Will be interesting to see if the 4-2-3-1 starts to be used widely in the lower divisions this season.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Murray can get us 25 goals. We certainly need another striker but we don't even have a starting left winger yet! Although I guess Holroyd could play left wing in a 4-5-1.

In perspective, have we ever had a left winger? Gerry Ryan and Peter O'Sullivan spring to mind.

Left wingers are gold dust (can we find one from Ghana?). Howard Wilkinson, David Armstrong (a bit like Lua Lua), and ???

Lee Steele was good as well.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry got to disagree as it would be good but not as , crucial as a 25 goal a year striker, that is much more important and that is crucial.

Personally I think that a half decent finisher would become a lethal predator with a wideman like LuaLua serving him! Look at Paynter last season. Generally considered a bit of a workmanlike striker, bit of a donkey perhaps, but he banged in 30 because the service from McGovern was nothing short of superb. If you want a reference to the value of a superb wideman, note Ashley Barnes' goal against Southampton. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here