Guardian gives more credence to "tomorrow"

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Do the people of Falmer realise they have 32 million visitors to the pond every year?

:shootself

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
it is supposedly an aonb, but i dont find a field full of shit that beautiful to be honest - however, it may be to some sad derick with no life apart from looking at butterflies

Looks like McGhee's SAUCE was right all along.

Does the lardy jocko buffoon get ANYTHING wrong? :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Heffle Gull said:
Do the people of Falmer realise they have 32 million visitors to the pond every year?

I don't often go walking on the Downs myself, but I'd be very surprised if there's almost 90,000 people a day doing so, as the CPRE claim. (32,000,000 million visitors a year / 365 days). If that's true, the place is already so ludicrously congested and heaving with people there's barely enough free space for a new toilet cubicle, let alone a new stadium. :D :D

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
bhafc99 said:
I don't often go walking on the Downs myself, but I'd be very surprised if there's almost 90,000 people a day doing so, as the CPRE claim. :D :D

Not only that but Falmer will be such an eyesore that they'll all be able to see it. And have their walk ruined by it.

Although if there are that many people on the downs its going to be pretty much f***ed soon anyway...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A CPRE spokesman said the stadium would ruin the views for the 32 million visitors walking across the downs each year.

Ruin the views.

Oh dear, look at that ghastly stadium, it has degraded the beautiful architecture of Brighton University.

Oh I am so angry. I cant see the road, gracefully snaking through this exquisite area of undeniably outstandingly breathtakingly beautiful downland. ???

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Jimmy Saville said:
I f*ckin' love The Guardian. It ROCKS!:clap:

No it doesn't. Its full of veggie social worker tree-hugger types, hence the completely biased article posted above.

God knows why I've continued buying it for the last 25 years!:shootself

And the sports section on Wednesday completely FORGOT to put any of the Carling cup results or reports in from Tuesday night! Handy tho' this was for sparing me the torture of having to read about the scum beating Liverpool; its still a crap way to run a newspaper.

1066gull

This is so Cilit Bang Bang promising!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I go cycling quite regularly over the South Downs and most of the major paths don't go anywhere near Falmer, except one that runs from Falmer to Bevendean via the back of Moulescomb which include some fine views of burnt out cars and dumped sofas. Some of the views are already ruined by the Universities so I don't see how a stadium can further ruin it. One of the things that can be seen for miles around over the Downs is the Power Station at Shoreham harbour does anybody else complain about that or the huge number of electricity pylons that criss cross the area too?

The 32 million quote from the CPRE is a bit of a misnomer, they are taking the figure of people who visit the South Downs each year without informing people that the South Downs stretch from Winchester to Eastbourne, so actually only a small proportion pass the Brighton section of it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What utter nonsense about ruining the views. It's hardly an unspoilt wilderness. These groups do themselves no good at all when they fabricate such complete nonsense. I certainly won't believe anything they say the next time they're bleating about protecting the countryside.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Theatre of Trees said:
I go cycling quite regularly over the South Downs and most of the major paths don't go anywhere near Falmer, except one that runs from Falmer to Bevendean via the back of Moulescomb which include some fine views of burnt out cars and dumped sofas. Some of the views are already ruined by the Universities so I don't see how a stadium can further ruin it. One of the things that can be seen for miles around over the Downs is the Power Station at Shoreham harbour does anybody else complain about that or the huge number of electricity pylons that criss cross the area too?

The 32 million quote from the CPRE is a bit of a misnomer, they are taking the figure of people who visit the South Downs each year without informing people that the South Downs stretch from Winchester to Eastbourne, so actually only a small proportion pass the Brighton section of it.
The CPRE is a dishonest, elitist organization that really stands for gentrifying and ossifying Rural England. This article is full of the ideology that allows universities on the edge of aonbs but can't countenance a football stadium.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Can't see where all the rejoicing comes from in that article, it's a glass of cold water in the face.Give them credit it's fair and balanced but i'm getting nervy again after the high of the last few days on here.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
mona said:
The CPRE is a dishonest, elitist organization that really stands for gentrifying and ossifying Rural England.
:clap: :clap:

I remember getting some junk mail from the CPRE once and it really upset me to think that I was on some mailing list that thought I might be interested in joining the blinkered, snobbish, property-obsessed, reactionary scumbags.

What really pissed me off about the CPRE is that they go on about local choice should be pre-eminent ...and then conveniently ignored the massive vote by local people for Falmer. Wankers, the lot of them.

Brixtaan said:
Can't see where all the rejoicing comes from in that article, it's a glass of cold water in the face.Give them credit it's fair and balanced but i'm getting nervy again after the high of the last few days on here.

Agreed, most of my mates are in the "I don't want to see this monstrosity as I hike" camp. I've been very gentle with them - they are on a loser and the truth hurts.

Be gentle with them. :) :) :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here