Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guardian Diary: Falmer attacked in print, part 952

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
More underinformed anti-Falmer fucktardery from the overeducated, this time from the Grauniad's man in Paris, John Henley. Intriguingly, Henley is, I think, mates with my former boss who worked with the Albion in producing the goalkeeper play at the Pavilion Theatre last year.

Anyone wishing to remind the lazy fucker to check his facts and not just read Private Eye, i.e. give him the real lowdown on "Piegate", diary@guardian.co.uk is the place to be.

"Remaining vaguely on a footie theme, let us not forget, as our own deputy PM fights for his political life, that this isn't the first time John Prescott's planning-related talents have been called into question. Last December, Prezza was wined and dined in the Brighton and Hove Albion FC boardroom following the Hull v Brighton match. Fair enough for a Hull MP - except that only eight days previously, Lewes council had appealed against Two Shags' approval of Albion's proposed 22,000-seater stadium in the South Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. "The whole thing is outrageous," said local Lib Dem MP Norman Baker, at the time. "He has compromised his position." Would that JP had heeded him."

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wined and dined???

I thought it was water and a pie (fork??? )

Surely an MP should be given the benefit of the doubt that he made a professional decision and anything that were to happen would not sway his decision.

Did Chamberlain accepting drinks and food from Hitler during the appeasement saga compromise his position?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed, more ill-informed tosh. But is there a bigger point here?

We do seem to have nailed our colours (not through choice) to the mast of one of the biggest clowns in politics. Is there any danger that Prescott's general reputation for buffoonery will have a negative impact on our specific case coming up? I would hope, and expect, it would remain on the merits of the case. But at this moment, I'm very sorry he was ever involved.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't have much time for any newspaper much less the pretencious and pointless rag The Gonad.

Written by wankers for wankers.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jon Henley is the new tosser on the diary. The one who makes sport of the fact that he's eating delicious French food while the rest of us are munching, er, pies. He sounds like a KNOB of the first order.

Besides, wasn't prezza a guest of Hull not Brighton?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
----- Original Message -----
To: <diary@guardian.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 10:58 AM
Subject: John Prescott's pie habits

Oh dear. It seems the forensic brilliance for which the Diary has become rightly renowned has temporarily deserted you. John Prescott was not "wined and dined" by the directors of Brighton and Hove Albion; but provided with a steak and kidney pie and a glass of water, as the written ministerial answer here confirms: http://www.publications.parliament....m060123/text/60123w29.htm#60123w29.html_sbhd3

Furthermore, the Falmer stadium which Mr Prescott approved is not in the "South Downs AONB" but in a field some way from the South Downs adjoining some university buildings and a dual carriageway, which happens to have AONB status still in place from its original designation in the 1960s. The field is zoned for development by Brighton and Hove Council in any case.

If you'd really like to investigate a scandal, how about the fact that Lewes District Council have spent thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money on a High Court challenge against a government decision which they are almost certain to lose? Furthermore, the council cabinet met in secret to make the decision. Furthermore, the stadium site isn't even in Lewes district. Furthermore, the council is under investigation by the local government ombudsman for doctoring a photograph of the site to make it look like you could see the South Downs, when you actually can't. Furthermore, when a journalist tried to ask the leader of the council, Anne de Vecchi, about the decision, he was punched in the face by Ms de Vecchi's boyfriend. I could go on, but I suspect I'm boring you now.

All the best

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

Oh dear. It seems the forensic brilliance for which the Diary has become rightly renowned has temporarily deserted you. John Prescott was not "wined and dined" by the directors of Brighton and Hove Albion; but provided with a steak and kidney pie and a glass of water, as the written ministerial answer here confirms: http://www.publications.parliament....m060123/text/60123w29.htm#60123w29.html_sbhd3

Furthermore, the Falmer stadium which Mr Prescott approved is not in the "South Downs AONB" but in a field some way from the South Downs adjoining some university buildings and a dual carriageway, which happens to have AONB status still in place from its original designation in the 1960s. The field is zoned for development by Brighton and Hove Council in any case.

If you'd really like to investigate a scandal, how about the fact that Lewes District Council have spent thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money on a High Court challenge against a government decision which they are almost certain to lose? Furthermore, the council cabinet met in secret to make the decision. Furthermore, the stadium site isn't even in Lewes district. Furthermore, the council is under investigation by the local government ombudsman for doctoring a photograph of the site to make it look like you could see the South Downs, when you actually can't. Furthermore, when a journalist tried to ask the leader of the council, Anne de Vecchi, about the decision, he was punched in the face by Ms de Vecchi's boyfriend. I could go on, but I suspect I'm boring you now.

All the best
f*** me, that's perfect!:bowdown:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

All the best

Blimey thats good.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dick Knights Mum said:
blimey. You do seem an angry man.

Not, calm and collected I just get sick and tired on all newspapers who never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Gonad readers seem to look down on 'regular tabloid' papers but clearly that rag's inability to get the facts straight makes them even more excramental than their rivals.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
bhaexpress said:
I don't have much time for any newspaper much less the pretencious and pointless rag The Gonad.

Written by wankers for wankers.

I'm a wanker, then. Enjoy the Guardian a lot, but every paper has its lazy journos, looking for another 'fact' to add to a good story. Sadly, that pie and water story was one of them.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

All the best

How long did it take you to write that? Brilliant letter :clap::bowdown:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Great stuff indeed. :clap:
Perhaps should've mentioned the reason he was there though - to support Hull.

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The original piece explains that he was there to support Hull.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that he could not have been influenced to make a decision he had already made :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

And it took me about three minutes to write that. Isn't everyone used to reeling off the pro-Falmer arguments? Besides; I essentially research facts and write them down quickly for a living.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tubby Mondays said:
No. He went from strength to strength after that didnt he?!

It was a poor example but I couldn't think of another high profile case not involving Prezza. :blush:

Although he made a mistake (understatement) in his decision it wasn't compromised by accepting nourishment, I am sure.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here