Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Shield Stamps Community Compost Idea.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was thinking if this could work.

A community compost scheme where people bring their compostable material to a purpose built composter a bit like taking your glass etc. to recycling bays.

In one end you tip your compostable material (newspaper, cardboard, kitchen scraps and garden waste etc.) and it falls onto scales that then give you green shield stamp type tickets for the weight that you put in. You save up your stamps and at the other end you can redeem your stamps for compost dispensed in say 70ltr bags.

It would need to be a closed system that takes cooked food waste too and is vermin proof. It would need to be some sort of tumbling system so that there's no need for sorting and layering like in an open system.

I suspect set up cost would be quite expensive if such a large closed system could be devised, but in the long term it has to make sense. The amount of compostable materials that go into landfills is ridiculous and before long, as a country we're going to run out of room to dump our rubbish (aren't we already shipping loads of it out to China?)

With the amount of people getting into gardening these days, especially grow your own veg, I think the public at large would get behind it.

So what do you think? Is it do able? Is anyone able to mock up a drawing of such a space age contraption and post it on here? I'm not talking about the green waste container at your local tip, I have in mind a state of the art composter at every recycling bay.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I composted my compostibles and now I'm totally composed.

(PS: My dad was area manager for Green Shield in the 70's)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We've got a wormery in our back garden for cooked stuff that you can't put in the regular compost. The cheeky little monkeys nosh through our egg shells and meal scraps etc. poo it out and it's collected in liquid form that is then put on the garden and, as you can imagine, it bloody stinks. I don't like to worm my way out of any task, but I refuse to have anything to do with it - the other half wanted the wormery and she deals with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here