Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

greek island holiday recommendations please good people

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
looking for a one-week break somewhere quiet, no discos, no drunken northerners, no fat essex girls.

any recommendations please folks?

been to samos, loved it, corfu OK

merci bien

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Santorini. Gorgeous and where Greeks go on holiday, often to get married. As far from Falariki as it gets, incredible sunsets and a still smouldering volcano in the middle of the island. Most of the time you see a photo of one of those blue-roofed Greek churches, it was taken there.

Dandyman

In London village.
afters said:
looking for a one-week break somewhere quiet, no discos, no drunken northerners, no fat essex girls.

merci bien

Naxos, Paros, Anti-Paros, Sifnos, Serifos, Alonissos, Skopelos and a few hundred other ones..

Naxos is a good one as it has great beaches and is not wholey reliant on tourism, so you do not get the 18-30 crowd.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
afters said:

merci bien
I`m going to Halkidiki in June and the reports I have had are that it is very quiet and good for families.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
afters said:
and no island hopping cos we'll have the little fella with us (18 months old in the late summer)

Kafelonia is lovely and a fairly short flight - can't understand why it is not more popular.

Also went to Santorini in 2004. Great if you stay on the edge of the Caldera (although this is not children friendly. Rest of the island is pretty ordinary.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
For example. And it really does look like that:

dome1.JPG

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Went to Skiathos a few years ago (in August)

They had the highest rain fall in 25 years, and when it wasn't raining the water from the mountains continued to flow through the island making it impossible to move from the accomodation.

On the last two days, the sun finally appeared, but my girlfriend slipped over on a dodgy pavement and broke her leg.

That's the short version, the longer one includes the airport having no lift to get her on the plane, the dusgruntled lesbians who were forced out of their extra leg room seats and the taxi breaking down from Gatwick to St. Thomas' Casualty department.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Man of Harveys said:

dome1.JPG

We stayed on the cliff edge in between the two hills in your photo. Stunning views of the ferries coming across the water in the mornings and incredible sunsets at night.

Dandyman

In London village.
clapham_gull said:
Went to Skiathos a few years ago (in August)

They had the highest rain fall in 25 years, and when it wasn't raining the water from the mountains continued to flow through the island making it impossible to move from the accomodation.

On the last two days, the sun finally appeared, but my girlfriend slipped over on a dodgy pavement and broke her leg.

That's the short version, the longer one includes the airport having no lift to get her on the plane, the dusgruntled lesbians who were forced out of their extra leg room seats and the taxi breaking down from Gatwick to St. Thomas' Casualty department.

You must introduce her to the delights of Albion, away !

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Santorini gets my vote- Avoid the resort of Kamari like the plague though, as it is the Italian equivalent of Faliraki.

The twin resorts of Perissa and Perivolos are highly recommended and have the best beaches.

Bear in mind that the island is volcanic so the sand is course and black, therefore gets incredibly hot during the day.

If you have the cash to go somewhere more upmarket then stay in Ouia- on the cliff tops over looking the Caldera and Volcano- Imina Kameni.

No visit to the island would be complete without a trip to the remains of a Minoan city in Akrotiri on the southern tip of the island, fantastically preserved following the cataclismic eruption of the Volcano around 2,600 BC.

A trip to the volcano and the other island that makes up the caldera of the former Volcano is a must. Even if your going with a young child the tracks up the volcano are wide enough to accommodate a buggy.

All in all the best Greek island i have visited.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Man of Harveys said:

dome1.JPG

just popped out to get a travel book (i'm busy today you understand) and that view (different angle) is on the front...looks delightful!

santorini was an early front runner before i asked on here, and is looking good!

many thanks one and all:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Went to Lesbos years ago (no sniggering at the back) which was good. Quiet and well away from the disco mongs.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Voroshilov said:
Went to Lesbos years ago (no sniggering at the back) which was good. Quiet and well away from the disco mongs.

Agreed. I went to a small, remote village called Sigri. No discos, just a few tavernas selling cheap and excellent locally produced food, you could walk for 15 minutes and get a beach to yourself. Maybe a bit quiet for some but a great place to relax

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I would recommend Skiathos. I went 3 summers ago, loads of greek people holidayingthere. Koukanaries beach is amazing and there is a beautiful beach off the beaten track called little banana, don't get it mixed up with big banana beach - appropriately named for a nudee beach :eek:

The only downside is Skiathos has one of the smallest runways in europe - the start and end back directly on to the sea and I've never been on a flight where the pilot kicks in the reverse thrust before we even touched down! Its brown pants stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here