Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GREEK DISASTER - the Olympics WON'T be ready !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From the Beeb...

The Athens Olympics has been given until Saturday by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to provide concrete assurances that the venues and infrastructure for the 2004 Olympic Games will be in place on time, BBC Five Live has learned. The IOC's final inspection of the city's facilities before the Games, which start on 13 August, has concluded that "grave concerns" still remain as to the progress on several venues, including the Olympic Stadium itself.

Horror
At a news conference on Tuesday, the IOC criticised the Greek organisers for what it perceived as a lack of organisation and urgency, with the Games a little over 12 weeks away. The inspection team outlined it's "horror" as to the current state of the facilities, and expressed severe doubts about the project moving from the construction to operational phase in time for the start of the Games.

f***ing disaster
British Olympic Association chairman Craig Reedie, who is a member of the IOC Co-ordination Commission, which has been monitoring Athens' progress, said that the whole thing is "a f***ing disaster", and went on: "I am absolutely appalled. The Olympic Stadium is a dust-bowl, the Marathon route is little more than a dirt track, and the the Olympic swimming pool is a f***ing hole in the ground. We'd have more joy renovating the bloody Acropolis. These Greeks have f***ed us over. No way will it be ready in three months."

Hairy
However, Olympic Construction Project Co-ordinator Georgious Yiannakapouolos, hit back at Reedie's criticism and the concerns of the Olympic Committee. "You f***ing eenglish peegs" he sneered. "You know f***-all about putting on a sporting event of dees scale. f*** off back to your creeckit and your tea-rooms, and leave us beeg hairy men alone to get dees show on da ROAD".

Audacious
Yiannakopoulos's assurances have, however, failed to allay real fears that the Games will not be ready on time. Already, provisions are being made to shift the Games to England, where successful businessman and entrepreneur Dick Knight, chairman of Second Division football club Brighton & Hove Albion, has come in with an audacious late offer to host the 2004 Olympic Games at the clubs football ground, Withdean Stadium. "Bring it to Brighton" said Knight. "We have everything here the Olympics will need. The hammer nets behind the goal are clearly World class. Our pitch-side sandpits are more than adequate once the covers are removed. We have a stripey steeple-chase type barrier thing to jump over behind one of the goals, and a big red running track around our pitch. The Olympic Village could easily be accomodated in Kemp Town. What more could the IOC want ?"

IOC Chairman Joseph Schuman was non-commital on the offer from Knight, but confirmed that "other options" were being explored. A decision is expected to be announced at a press conference on Saturday.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
:clap2: :clap2:

Sadly though - this is reality I would be very suprised if a disaster of apocalytic rating does not happen at some point during the Olympics.

I hope I am proved wrong.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
:lolol: Easy

This is where the payments start changing hands and the work really speeds up ???
it is normal in Greek business

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They've had 7 years to prepare for this, you'd think it'd all be done & dusted by now...they've still yet to sort out electricity to some of the venues for christs sake.
Frightening.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Easy 10 said:
The Athens Olympics has been given until Saturday by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to provide concrete assurances that the venues and infrastructure for the 2004 Olympic Games will be in place on
They can't even provide the concrete to build the stadia, let alone provide concrete assurances.

DannyBhoy

Jul 5, 2003
Burwash, East Sussex
This olympics has been goin down hill, ever since it won the right to host the games!!!

Ill be very surprised if everything runs smoothly during the games, Infact thats even if the games ever get started! :D

:jester:

Yoda

English & European
I've just been on BBCi and they say they are meant to be giving the green light today. ??? ??? ???

I hope it all goes ahead, I've got tickets. :shootself

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We can f***ing talk.

Picketts Lock and the 2005 World Athletics Championship anyone?

Uk wins the right to host a major global sporting championship on the promise of a spanking new stadium. Couple of years down the line, said stadium is still mired in planning problems and not one brick has been laid. Result. We have to confess to the IAAF we can't do it after all, and the games are moved to Helsinki in Finland, who are able to step in and rescue our fiasco.

Yes the Greeks have left it bloody late and the thing will probably be a bit of a shambles in parts, but at least they weren't as crap as us.

I visited the Sydney facilities in 1997, three years before their games, and they were 90% done even then. Frankly the games should go to the Aussies more often.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Hmm Well threre's plenty og 'Greek style loving' goes on in the Brighton area. :p

How about Danny's "let's have a winner" being adopted aa the 2004 Olympics motto?:clap2:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just wait for the Olympics to be cancelled due to a "terror threat".

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Easy - what job do you do? You clearly should be writing for Private Eye or something - your talents are wasted!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dull (but relaxing) finance job for a managerial recruitment consultancy. I just need to get out more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here