Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest ever season

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
What was your favourite season.
The Argus reports 1983 was Albion's Greatest ever season, I was 12 years old at the time and didn't really enjoy it apart from the FA cup games. The league games were depressing and even at my young age I had the feeling it would be the a long time before we got back Top flight again. All the team were piss heads apart from Gary Stevens.
I myself enjoyed the season we had Nelson, Bremner, Keeley and came 2nd in the old 3rd Division. That was a great season and we played some of the best football I've ever seen.
I would think many enjoyed the Notts County play off season.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
1978/79 Promotion to Division 1. Especially sweet after being cheated out of promotion the season before.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Best ever season for me was 87-88 I was 15 and went to some of the best away days ever.

For my that season Garry Nelson was the best player I have seen in an Albion shirt(till BLZ)his goal in the cup at Brentford :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
That Albion side played great football

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Easy for me too, 87/88 season, good cup run and promotion on the last day...we had two strikers who scored for fun (at least until the goals dried up for the one who wasn't called Nelson)...I managed to go to about 30 games, easily the most I have done in a season, I would agree with Kestrel that there were some superb away days.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
John Byrnes Mullet said:
I would think many enjoyed the Notts County play off season.

Yes that was a good season.

We made the play-offs with a -6 goal difference - has any other team done that?

I think we were one of the bookies favourites to go down at the start of the season.

We took Liverpool to a replay in the FA Cup 3rd Round after coming back from 0-2 at Anfield, going out 2-3 in extra time at the Goldstone.

Whatever people say or think about Barry Lloyd, he worked miracles that season on a shoestring budget (is there any other kind where the Albion are concerned?!) and of course he brought in Johnny Byrne. What let him down was his treatment of Garry Nelson at Wembley.

Oh, and Johnny Crumplin Football Genius probably had his best season in the stripes!:clap:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
2001-2002

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I liked 2001-02, where we were initially tipped to struggle and somehow finished top of the league ahead of cashed up clubs Reading, Stoke, Cardiff and Wigan.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
81/82, at one point we were 5th in the top division.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
pasty said:
1978/79 Promotion to Division 1. Especially sweet after being cheated out of promotion the season before.

My choice also.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
When we went up from the the old Div 3 in about 76-77 I think. Beat Shef Weds at home to clinch it. I'd go as far to say as that was the best night ever in the North Stand I've had. That & Derby County in the League Cup, same season I think. 32,000 plus at both of those games.
f*** I miss it!

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
smudge said:
When we went up from the the old Div 3 in about 76-77 I think. Beat Shef Weds at home to clinch it. I'd go as far to say as that was the best night ever in the North Stand I've had. That & Derby County in the League Cup, same season I think. 32,000 plus at both of those games.
f*** I miss it!

I'm with you on this one. I was in the south stand. Great night and a great pinch invasion :D

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That was a great season, I had started following the Albion during the previous one, but unfortunately it was another 5/6 years before I actually went to a game. We had a superb team, one that you can honestly say was packed with legends, possibly a golden era for the Albion.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For me it was 1976/77 and promotion from the old old third division. I'd started work and it was the first season where I went to every game home and away. For the away games I usually went on the legendary old 'Seagull Special' train with the great Stavros as chief steward - the actual trips were often more entertaining than the matches! (Something I'm sure that hasn't changed however people get to away games nowadays).

It was also the first full season of Peter Ward and Mullery's first season as manager. MASSIVE crowds at the Goldstone and we really thought the club was going places. If I could have two years of my life to live again (not allowed to change anything) it would be 1976/77.

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
1990-91 ranks very highly for me. Plenty of goals scored and conceded. Great day out (apart from the result) at Wembley.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
smudge said:
f*** I miss it!

I'd agree with that. It wasn't just that we got promoted, we played some scintillating football too. We scored seven goals in a game, twice - can't see us doing that again.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
pasty said:

i agree

that was a truly great season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here