• Mike Bailey - Highest ever league position

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Jimmy Melia - Getting to FA Cup Final

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Barry Lloyd - 90 mins from Premier League on a shoe-string budget

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Stevie Gritt - 10 points adrift, our saviour at Hereford

Votes: 61 57.5%
  • Micky Adams (1st time) - 2 championships (well nearly)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Mark McGhee - Returning us to championship and keeping us there

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Russell - the great escape '09

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I'm intrigued to know which managerial achievement NSCers regard as being the greatest in our recent history. I'm talking about footballing achievements, particularly taking into account what they inherited and what they delivered.

Poll to follow.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Gritt.

Had he, Reinelt, Storer et al not achieved what they did, Adams, McGhee and Slade would never have had the chance to do what they did.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Easily Gritt. Given the circumstances at the club, the protests, selling the Goldstone etc etc, what he did was nothing short of a miracle considering the squad he had to work with

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Very well constructed list and hard to choose,but i think Baldy No1 just takes it.
This is why i LOVE supporting the Albion,never a dull moment.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Steve Gritt, no doubt.

I firmly believe if we'd have gone down at Hereford, this football club would be not be as it is now.

I think we must remember also, that a lot of us were anti Gritt to start with, for taking those wankers bellotti and archer's pound.

So while Potato man Slade has done a truly remarkable job, what Steve did, given all the circumstances at the time, did the impossible.

I, for one, will always be gratefull to him.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
The joy of this poll is that all of these guys are Albion legends in their own way. For me it has to be Stevie Gritt. A bit like Russell, he is nowhere near being the greatest Albion manager in terms of getting in the national lime-light, but his achievement was simply incredible. My second choice would be Mullers, but then he had loads of moolah to play with. And Peter Ward.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Steve Gritt all the way for me...Anyone who puts anything else either wasn't around or was on Uranus at the time.

When he took over he had the entire fanbase against him, a 10 point deficit at the bottom of the league and had a team of players who'd lose against my Under 7's team but he turned it around and we stayed up...Legend!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry all you Gritt fans, but it has to be Mullery for me. The sheer ecstasy of the Albion's result being the first one read out by James Alexander Gordon on Sports Report has never been surpassed!
Mike Bailey should be in with a shout too, in retrospect, but like many other supporters at the time, I didn't appreciate how good that was (probably partly because we were playing in second-hand Chelsea strips at the time, not the stripes).
Pat Saward should be in there too, for the sheer joy of the football the team played in 71/72.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pat Saward should be in there too, for the sheer joy of the football the team played in 71/72.

Yeah, I'm surprised at that omission - he would have been my choice. Had little money but got promoted with a team that played decent football.

My choice was a close call between Gritt, McGhee and Lloyd. I opted for the last named as we were in financial straits throughout his reign and to get even near the Prem was some achievement.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Well you could split it into two groups,

Manager that got us out of the shit. (Steve Gritt)

Manager that built a successful, winning team that actually achieved something. (Allan Mullery)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My choice was a close call between Gritt, McGhee and Lloyd. I opted for the last named as we were in financial straits throughout his reign and to get even near the Prem was some achievement.

Didn't notice Lloyd on the list when I quickly scanned it - but, yeh, he certainly deserves a shout too.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
argh Mullery or Melia decisions decisions

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gritt, but it was a season before my time. :down:

So I voted Adams for getting us out of the old division 3, massive achievement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here