Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great point Gus!

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Read this earlier - just wish some of the 'fans' in some parts of the North stand would remember this and learn a bit about football too!

"Consider yesterday; who would have thought two years ago that we would be playing against Cardiff City and that they would put 11 players behind the ball to stop us from playing.

"If someone told me that would happen when we were still in the bottom four in League One I would have said that you were dreaming. We can't try to do everything in one day and we can't get carried away with our position.''

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Welcome to NSC

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
very good point cookie they certanly did put 11 behind the ball for sure that in itself is a real compliment to us as far as im concerned

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Read this earlier - just wish some of the 'fans' in some parts of the North stand would remember this and learn a bit about football too!

"Consider yesterday; who would have thought two years ago that we would be playing against Cardiff City and that they would put 11 players behind the ball to stop us from playing.

"If someone told me that would happen when we were still in the bottom four in League One I would have said that you were dreaming. We can't try to do everything in one day and we can't get carried away with our position.''

Don't feel to bad. Just heard gus interview and he said " Who would have thought two year's ago that a team like cardiff would come and put a wall of 11 players behind the ball when playing Us" Heard it earlier and posted on another thread. True though. Trust in gus

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
very good point cookie they certanly did put 11 behind the ball for sure that in itself is a real compliment to us as far as im concerned

Definitely!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I mentioned that moments after the game on one of the moan threads... strangely, not being Gus Poyet, no-one commented on it... they were to busy telling me how shit Ashley Barnes is.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Don't feel to bad. Just heard gus interview and he said " Who would have thought two year's ago that a team like cardiff would come and put a wall of 11 players behind the ball when playing Us" Heard it earlier and posted on another thread. True though. Trust in gus

Why didn't he swap Reyes for Buckley after 20 mins then?

The sentiment is based on years of LOW ambition.

Time to get with the times and drop that "who woulda thought" garbage. We are no longer 3rd Division or living in a time when beating any other league club is some kind of a flippin' DREAM.

Pull y'self together cookie, and cut out that wussy shite.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Were you there, they had 1 attacker v 4 defenders for the whole 1st half & Reyes with nothing to do was trying to do a wingers job when far better ones were warming the bench. Gus didn't react to the circumstances & Cardiff did after HT, realised we were toothless & pushed on & scored

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Were you there, they had 1 attacker v 4 defenders for the whole 1st half & Reyes with nothing to do was trying to do a wingers job when far better ones were warming the bench. Gus didn't react to the circumstances & Cardiff did after HT, realised we were toothless & pushed on & scored

I was, they had a game plan to go compact, and get 2 men to every player who had the ball. All taking off a defender would have done is stretched us, and they would have played like they did in the second half.

petercg365

Oct 25, 2011

You seriously need to get a job as a football manager because you clearly see things much clearer than Gus. Don't tell me, you saw it at half time and told all your mates. And I bet you manage to win the league on Championship Manager.
I'm getting ready for 'I pay my money, I'm allowed an opinion'. I'm just fed up reading these posts with people moaning abd whinging and thinking that the club owe them something and that we SHOULD be in the playoff spots and that Gus SHOULD be doing a better job. You remind me of the Charlton fans who wanted Curbs out because they wanted more than mid-table in the Prem. Be careful what you wish for.
Rant over. I'm off. Winge all you want, I'm not coming back.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
You seriously need to get a job as a football manager because you clearly see things much clearer than Gus. Don't tell me, you saw it at half time and told all your mates. And I bet you manage to win the league on Championship Manager.
I'm getting ready for 'I pay my money, I'm allowed an opinion'. I'm just fed up reading these posts with people moaning abd whinging and thinking that the club owe them something and that we SHOULD be in the playoff spots and that Gus SHOULD be doing a better job. You remind me of the Charlton fans who wanted Curbs out because they wanted more than mid-table in the Prem. Be careful what you wish for.
Rant over. I'm off. Winge all you want, I'm not coming back.

Well said. Of course gus could of done things better, by virtue of us not having won every game this season by 10 goals, but I see no point in sitting after a game (which we got a decent result in) and slating him because the halftime oranges were brought out 5 minutes late. Being a football manager is a very hard job and none of us (no matter how many times we have won the prem with brighton of football manager) could do even a fraction of the wonders Gus id working. SUPPORT your manager.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander

I am not sure you are serious about making a substitute in the first half? Cardiff were not threatening in the first 45' and we were. Why make a major change at 0-0 when we were dominating possession and the number of shots on goal? It is not as if we had to go for broke at 0-0.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
hi and welcome cookie63

yes we have come a long way but you Create you future from your future not your past.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for the welcome threads lads.

I wasn't trying to cause an argument about Gus or anything really (i guess I have a bit to learn about this forum) - i was just trying to get across that its a compliment that Cardiff came for a point. And I was surprised that the few moaners in the north stand where i sit were slagging them off for doing so! Everyone has their opinion about how to play against it and we will never agree. (for what its worth I'm a qualified coach and sit there every week trying to second guess what Gus should do and thats half the fun! Wednesday we didnt get Cardiff players to commit by taking the first man to the ball on and therefore pulling them out of shape (or getting round the back of them which is why Gus brought on Nooney and Buckley!). Simple really but if it was that easy Greece wouldnt have won the Euros the other year).

And although I dont travel away I imagine we go to other grounds and shut up shop dont we??

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Gus doesn't know the meaning of "shutting up shop" when we play away.
We play exactly the same way that we do at home

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
The sentiment is based on years of LOW ambition.

Time to get with the times and drop that "who woulda thought" garbage. We are no longer 3rd Division or living in a time when beating any other league club is some kind of a flippin' DREAM.

Pull y'self together cookie, and cut out that wussy shite.

That sentiment is based on years of being in a loss making tiny 'football' ground with no means of growing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here