Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grayson sacked at Leeds?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Warnock would be a funny one. He's a lifelong Sheffield United fan, and still talks about them as "we", which isn't likely to endear him to Leeds fans. But football fans are fickle (Sheffield United are quite happy with lifelong piggie Danny Wilson currently) and the more pragmatic amongst the Leeds support will spot that he would haul that squad of theirs up by the bootstraps and probably make them promotion candidates from the off. I rather hope he doesn't go to them, as I'm quite enjoying Leeds being average and failing to meet their own lofty expectations.

Personally I'd like to see Warnock get involved with Plymouth- close to his family home in Cornwall and I'm sure he could drag them clear of the League Two relegation spots. But whether they could afford him is another matter.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Gus has denied any interest in the Leeds job according to the Argus online. He's critical of Bates for sacking Grayson, so hopefully that will make the cantankerous old dinosaur cross Gus off his poaching list.

The combination of Warnock & Bates is an accident waiting to happen. Lets hope he gets the job. :lol:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I think there are only three clubs in the world that could prise Poyet away from Brighton, and they're Spurs, Chelsea and Zaragoza. Whenever I see this sort of speculation, I go and re-read this blog from the BBC:
BBC - Dan Walker: On the pitch with Poyet and in the boardroom with Lord Sugar

And particularly the bit which says

During the quieter moments of the match I chatted to Poyet about his job and the future. It's clear that he loves the challenge of taking Brighton on to another level and despite occasionally being linked with other jobs, I get the feeling it would take a whopper of an offer to persuade him to leave the south coast.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A good mate from work (Leeds fan) has just told me he got a text this morning from his friend who does security at Elland Road, Warnock arrived there at 11pm last night.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I just happen to be in Leeds to day and the local rag is ruling Gus out 'due to the circumstances in which he left in 2009'.

Bates is also having a go at Grayson's transfer record:

United’s chairman said: “Contrary to some of the nutters on Twitter, we have backed him all the way.

“The first time I said no to a player Simon wanted to buy was last Thursday. He wanted to sign a player who would cost us £600,000 per year.

“I said, ‘You have already got six centre-backs, all of whom you signed’. We have one of the largest squads in the Championship at 30, while our wage budget was £9.5m this year but Simon has spent over £12m.

“So these people who are blaming me for the results, they don’t know what they are talking about.

“Every penny we have made on transfer fees has gone back into the team. Don’t forget, even if you sign a player on a free transfer, if he earns £500,000 a year then with tax that is £600,000.

“If he then gets a three-year contract, that is £1.8m. That is a tremendous amount of money for a Championship club.

“We have six strikers at the club and six centre-backs. What I can’t understand is why they are suddenly not good enough and we have three teenagers in the back four. The manager decides who he wants to buy; we as a club just pay for it. But the fact is we have conceded more goals than almost any other club in the Championship.

“Since the present system isn’t working, we need a fresh outlook. Having said that, we say thank you to Simon and his two assistants for what they have done in the past.”

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I just happen to be in Leeds to day and the local rag is ruling Gus out 'due to the circumstances in which he left in 2009'.

Bates is also having a go at Grayson's transfer record:

United’s chairman said: “Contrary to some of the nutters on Twitter, we have backed him all the way.

“The first time I said no to a player Simon wanted to buy was last Thursday. He wanted to sign a player who would cost us £600,000 per year.

“I said, ‘You have already got six centre-backs, all of whom you signed’. We have one of the largest squads in the Championship at 30, while our wage budget was £9.5m this year but Simon has spent over £12m.

“So these people who are blaming me for the results, they don’t know what they are talking about.

“Every penny we have made on transfer fees has gone back into the team. Don’t forget, even if you sign a player on a free transfer, if he earns £500,000 a year then with tax that is £600,000.

“If he then gets a three-year contract, that is £1.8m. That is a tremendous amount of money for a Championship club.

“We have six strikers at the club and six centre-backs. What I can’t understand is why they are suddenly not good enough and we have three teenagers in the back four. The manager decides who he wants to buy; we as a club just pay for it. But the fact is we have conceded more goals than almost any other club in the Championship.

“Since the present system isn’t working, we need a fresh outlook. Having said that, we say thank you to Simon and his two assistants for what they have done in the past.”

Hate Bates but hard to actually argue with that (IF it is true of course) ??? :)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Naylor saying that Lee Clarke at Hudds is hot favourite to be in charge of Leeds ahead of our visit next week.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Leeds did just enough to get Grayson sacked in midweek and win 3-0 away from home today :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here