Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Plus - are YOU on board?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm quite enjoying Google's latest attempt at a facebook killer/rival.

Anyone else signed up? Thoughts etc?

I'm particularly impressed with the Android app which automatically uploads any photos you take on your phone to your Google Plus space, ready for you to either share or just keep hold of online for future use.

I'm looking to build up a circle of Albion fans so if you're already signed up to Plus and wanan share info, let me know and I can include you in my circle as a place to share links and stories on all things Albion

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Have read a bit about this new one, but haven't actually looked yet. Might well check it out and see what it's about.

However - and I'm not normally one who kicks up a fuss about Facebook privacy etc - I'm not too keen on this:

I'm particularly impressed with the Android app which automatically uploads any photos you take on your phone to your Google Plus space

I can see this eating a bit of bandwidth, particularly if you use your phone as a camera abroad. Get a bit snap happy and you'll find a bill for £000s waiting for you if you forget to turn it off!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You can easily have your phone set to not use data when you're roaming, so it will only upload your snaps when you're connected via wifi

I'm not in the initial trial but have registered to be kept informed when they expand it, out of morbid curiosity. Their last attempt (buzz) was incredibly awful, this can't be any worse.

Google are very good at harvesting the best bits of other people's ideas. The Android photo app sounds just like this - I have a 3rd party app (mofo) which already does this for facebook. Incidentally (in response to the earlier question), mofo can be set to only upload when connected to wifi - I'm sure the google app will have the same functionality.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The bit I have seen of it is it just not Facebook but with little groups that you can send specific info to?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it does sound interesting, especially how they've seperated out different functions, potentially making it more relevent to people. for example the Huddle component seems to address a niche that Facebook is too large for, but many non Facebook users would find very usful.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Its pretty good, I like the circles thing in particular.

I don't like facebook and it'll be handy having everything integrated into other google services. i.e. if you already use gmail/google calendar/google docs then its a no-brainer to use Google+ instead of fartbook

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I've heard the desktop version isn't that much cop as yet, but the Android app works well - I'd like to give it a go ;)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Yea the Android app is very good.

And for all those who've sent me a PM, I've sent out a load of invitations to you all now. Enjoy!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Lovely job, cheers. Not letting me on just yet but it says that might happen so I'll keep trying!

This.

And for everyone who says "its just facebook"... Facebook is just Myspace/Bebo/AOL/Any other Social Network site. It just happens to be the biggest because they took the longest to turn to shite. Plus however looks like they've not given them selves room for "apps" like the "FIND OUT YOUR PERFECT SEX POSITION" App.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here