Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye to BBC South Today

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But will Virgin be swapping the signal in Brighton from South Today to BBC Southeast? I hope so.......

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
Thank god I live in Portsmouth.... I never want to lose Sally Taylor, though better Brighton coverage is needed! Last night was a joke!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
South East Today is based in Tunbridge Wells so tends to be mainly about Kent so Sussex still gets a bit sidelined.

Without sounding to pedantic, the Kent/Sussex border does go through Tunbridge Wells.

The impression I have always had (both from viewing and from occasionally being involved in BBC South / South East reporting on Albion matters) is that most of the out-of-studio stuff about the Albion has been done by sports journalists who report in to the Tunbridge Wells studio. Where coverage has been shared between the Southampton programme and the Tunbridge Wells programme, BBC South East usually run longer pieces. The amount of Charlton stuff on South East Today has diminished significantly of late.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
But you will delight in Ms Kaddy Lee Preston and her randomly thrown together items of comedy clothing. To say nothing of Mr Michael Fish.

:nono: She is nothing compared to the beautiful Reham :( I might have to start watching ITV at this rate!

ps happy birthday

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Without sounding to pedantic, the Kent/Sussex border does go through Tunbridge Wells.

True, skirts the southern boundary of T Wells (Pantiles used to be in Sussex) but there must be a hidden barrier which prevents TV crews from passing. Also I said reporters/journalists seemed to be mainly Kent based. Chatham/Gillingham seem to get the most coverage.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
From tomorrow, the BBC Whitehawk transmitter switches to BBC South East.

No more Sally Taylor, bias to S'ton FC (and to a lesser extent Pompey & little Bournemouth).

Perhaps South East will give more time on the biggest club in the region ... Albion?

And news on ESussex, Brighton & Kent ... might be moe relevant to us, rather than what's going on in Wareham & Salisbury.

will be nothing about Albion. Obsessed with Gilligham tho

Oct 25, 2003
south today gave more coverage to the fact that reading had been promoted than to the fact that the albion had WON the league

ridiculous

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think the SURPRISE here is that people still watch local news programmes!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Haven't watched it for years. Just a load of Hampshire-centric tripe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get our usual coverage of local hotspots like Oxford and Reading here in BN1! How will I know if the local library in Didcot has survived Oxfordshire County Council's planned cuts? Or if the maternity unit at Reading hospital is likely to get a makeover in the coming months?

Not to find out about the summer fetes in Witney & how the annual £100k transfer budget at the Kassam Stadium is being spent ... will be a wrench.

What a bizarrely shaped, disparate, BBC South Today region. Goodbye.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
But will Virgin be swapping the signal in Brighton from South Today to BBC Southeast? I hope so.......

According to this lifted from a BBC website, the very last line answers your question (although various Virgin Media discussion boards argue over whether Virgin in Brighton changes from ST to SET on 7th (first stage) or 23rd (second stage of freeview switchover).

Why did my BBC Region change from BBC South to BBC South East on Wednesday 7 March 2012?
The Whitehawk Hill transmitter will complete the first phase of the Digital switchover process on Wednesday 7 March 2012. This will result in South East Today becoming the main regional news service for the people of Brighton.

We have made the change because we believe it will benefit the viewers in Brighton. Brighton will be a much larger part of the South East Today region so more airtime can be devoted to the city with viewers enjoying more local news and stories.

BBC South Today will continue to cover the vast majority of West Sussex, west of the city of Brighton and Hove, as well as significant stories of note from the City of Brighton and Hove.

In addition many Brighton viewers will still be able to choose to watch South Today. Some Freeview users will still receive more than one signal so will be able to choose which programme suits their needs best.

If you require further information on this please visit the Digital UK website.

People watching on Freesat or Sky will be able to find South Today further down the electronic programme guide. Virgin Media customers will only be able to receive South East Today.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
According to this lifted from a BBC website, the very last line answers your question (although various Virgin Media discussion boards argue over whether Virgin in Brighton changes from ST to SET on 7th (first stage) or 23rd (second stage of freeview switchover).

Why did my BBC Region change from BBC South to BBC South East on Wednesday 7 March 2012?
The Whitehawk Hill transmitter will complete the first phase of the Digital switchover process on Wednesday 7 March 2012. This will result in South East Today becoming the main regional news service for the people of Brighton.

We have made the change because we believe it will benefit the viewers in Brighton. Brighton will be a much larger part of the South East Today region so more airtime can be devoted to the city with viewers enjoying more local news and stories.

BBC South Today will continue to cover the vast majority of West Sussex, west of the city of Brighton and Hove, as well as significant stories of note from the City of Brighton and Hove.

In addition many Brighton viewers will still be able to choose to watch South Today. Some Freeview users will still receive more than one signal so will be able to choose which programme suits their needs best.

If you require further information on this please visit the Digital UK website.

People watching on Freesat or Sky will be able to find South Today further down the electronic programme guide. Virgin Media customers will only be able to receive South East Today.

But,but, Reham! Alexis! Gone forever! To be replaced by Michael Fish!?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Good. BBC South Today is for twats. It's even worse than The Argus for keeping shit relevant.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Been watching South East Today for years in Hastings and their coverage of Albion is generally top notch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here