Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good news - Harveys Brewery safe; Bad news - my lawnmower has been destroyed

My lovely lawn-mower, freshly serviced and ready for collection.

Until ...

TH1_10420096Lewes%20Fire%2010%20April%202009%20002.jpg

UPDATED: Lawn mower shop damaged in fire - Lewes Today

Lawn mower shop damaged in fire

Arson ruled out

A FIRE which destroyed a Lewes business was not started deliberately.

From 6am this morning around 40 fire fighters from across the county battled a blaze at Court Mowers and Cycle Services in North Court off Cliffe High Street.

It took them more than an hour to bring the fire under control and to stop it from spreading the Harveys Brewery next door and nearby homes.

Firefighters at the scene told the Express the fire was not being treated as suspicious and said one possible cause was a battery charger which had been left on overnight in the workshop.

Concerned resident Peter Coward, of North Court, said: "I was woken by the noise of an explosion at about 6am on Good Friday. I looked out of the window and was alarmed by the smoke rising from the other end of the passage.

"At first I thought that it might be the brewery.

"I noticed the fire crews who already had hoses laid out and so realised that it was closer than that.

"I then saw the flames at the back of the Court Mowers building, they were higher than the roofs of the houses at the end of English Passage.

"The houses around here are close together, old and constructed using a fair amount of timber, so I was concerned about the fire spreading .

"I was extremely impressed by the way that the fire crews reacted. It looks as though they stopped it spreading and soon had it under control.

"General feeling around here is that it is such a shame, as the owners had really made an effort to improve the shop. It was a really friendly and useful shop."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, so Harvey's survived ?..... bugger, better get another 5 litres of unleaded then...

Only if you have a lawn mower that needs fixing or servicing or indeed want a lawn mower. Other than that, it is not particularly a useful shop.
That's easy for you to say.

What about the tragic loss of MY lawnmower?

It lost its life - like a candle in the wind.

RIP friend.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That's easy for you to say.

What about the tragic loss of MY lawnmower?

It lost its life - like a candle in the wind.

RIP friend.

Get Max Clifford involved, maybe they can make a film about it: Lawnmowerless Man!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
An Ode To Mark The Passing Of Lord B's Pride & Joy

No more you'll cut my lawn
To heaven you have gone
I'm saddened to the core
Alas you are no mower

RIP :down:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Will Harveys be bringing out a one off beer like Bonfire Boy - the Flymo Firkin perhaps?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stop mown-ing, it's only a lawn mower.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sorry to hear about the sad demise of your poor, innocent mower Lord B. You must be really cut up about it (unlike your lawn). :cry:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How will Roz trim your beard now , Lord B ? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here